Author Topic: Need hslp starting aloud 6 mo who co sleeps  (Read 1504 times)

Offline 212mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need hslp starting aloud 6 mo who co sleeps
« on: March 25, 2006, 02:51:48 am »
My ds co-sleeps b/c we have no room for a crib. So will this work if i put him to bed first and I sleep later?

How does this work if i have a playgroup to attend once a week at 11:15 and it takes me about 30 minutes to get theer by train? Should i expect him to sleep on the way there? 

I read the book and have no clue how to start, maybe my brain is that tired!. Do I start with naps, the pu/pd? I rock him to sleep and sometimes he falls asleep w/in 3 minutes or so, sometimes he is so tired and fussy it takes a lot longer.

Please help!

Thanks, Kim

Offline owelley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 57
  • You took the fall and thought of me above all.
    • www.chordpower.com
Re: Need hslp starting aloud 6 mo who co sleeps
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 03:21:08 am »
In the book, Tracy recommends doing 2 days of observing and starting EASY on the 3rd day.  I really think you would both have an easier time if your ds had a crib.  Even if you put him to bed first and crawl into bed next to him you might wake him up.  I was such a cop about noise when I was just starting EASY.  NO loud noises aloud in the apartment after 6pm!!  I would get mad at whoever made noise!  Anyway if you sart it EASY first thing in the morning you'll have to start with naps.  About the playgroup, you might wanna configure your routine so that your playgroup time isn't one of his nap times.  My Dd's crib is in our room so I try my best to be quiet if I have to get anything in our room or my dh and I are getting in bed so as not to wake her.  Our EASY routine has it's good days and a few bad days but it was soo worth it to start.  HTH!!
Blessed beyond measure.

Offline Intransit

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 19:13:16 pm »
I might suggest starting with a good solid bed time routine. Perhaps start with bath, bottle and bed, or bottle, bath, and bed..whichever works best for you and your LO. My DS is indifferent to either one since we always put him down when he is still awake. About the play group--in the beginning...I really was a SAHM for the sake of implementing EASY, and it was so worth it. I problably didn't take him anywhere for about 1.5-2 week, so make sure that we had it down.Not that every day is/was/or will be perfect but--- Once you figure out the routine and times at which your LO Eats etc...then it will be easier to make outings etc. It is not a bad thing to take LO out even if it does conflict with nap time--but I would actually (IMO) wait until the routine is more steady. Once you are well on your way....having your LO out in the train, or stroller etc may help assist with getting your LO to sleep in other places if need be.Hope this helps
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 19:45:39 pm »
Hi Kim

How old is your LO?      Just seen it 6months !!!

So will this work if i put him to bed first and I sleep later?

How does this work if i have a playgroup to attend once a week at 11:15 and it takes me about 30 minutes to get there by train? Should i expect him to sleep on the way there? 

I read the book and have no clue how to start

-I should thing that EASY will still work even with co-sleeping.

-Have you take your LO on the train before? Did they sleep? If you then this is an excellent opportunity to fit a nap in, although on EASY 30 mins is a short nap. Again it depends on the age of your LO. When DS was younger he would sleep though anything.  now it takes me to get a 40nap in his buggy  ::

-1st goal is to get him down for naps in each EASY cycle,
-2nd goal would be to get him to nap for longer than 1 sleep cycle as often as you can,
-3rd goal is to stretch your LO to 3hrs between feeds.

With the nap/sleeps you may need additional help by posting in these areas, you will get excellent help there. The main thing to do is try and put your baby to bed as soon as you see sleepy cues (if you don't know them yet, don't worry you will get the hang if this soon) the wind down should be about 15mins  :-\ where you would establish the 4 S's
Set the stage - get environment ready for sleep
Swaddle - this is optional and if you are used to doing it to get your LO to sleep
Sitting - quietly with no stimulation
SShush-pat

My best advise is to download one of the EASY logs and keep filling it in so you can keep track of your progress.

Feel free to post your current routine and we can help you more  ;)

HTH's
Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 20:10:15 pm »
Because you Lo is 6months you shoudl be working towards 4hrs, rathe than 3 - however I don't know how often you feed at the moment.
Here is a guide to help.
Lauren x

Offline owelley

• Showing Appreciation 57
  • You took the fall and thought of me above all.
    • www.chordpower.com
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 20:37:31 pm »
I might suggest starting with a good solid bed time routine. Perhaps start with bath, bottle and bed, or bottle, bath, and bed..whichever works best for you and your LO. My DS is indifferent to either one since we always put him down when he is still awake. About the play group--in the beginning...I really was a SAHM for the sake of implementing EASY, and it was so worth it. I problably didn't take him anywhere for about 1.5-2 week, so make sure that we had it down.Not that every day is/was/or will be perfect but--- Once you figure out the routine and times at which your LO Eats etc...then it will be easier to make outings etc. It is not a bad thing to take LO out even if it does conflict with nap time--but I would actually (IMO) wait until the routine is more steady. Once you are well on your way....having your LO out in the train, or stroller etc may help assist with getting your LO to sleep in other places if need be.Hope this helps

I guess for us, the reason I worry about nap times is because once our nap time schedule get's messed up, my dd  finds it hard to sleep thru the night.  When we first started EASY we didn't go anywhere for 2 weeks.  We just stayed home. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 21:49:52 pm by owelley »
Blessed beyond measure.

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 21:44:26 pm »
If I have a busy week on I make sure I stay in for 1 out of the 3 days now, to allow him naps in his cot.
Lauren x