Author Topic: Repeating PD with toddler  (Read 859 times)

Offline mango_baby

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Repeating PD with toddler
« on: March 25, 2006, 16:48:14 pm »
Hello,

After being extremely sick and with being in the process of weaning I need to do PD again with my spirited 19 month old toddler as all sleeping went out the window. We went back to accidental Parenting all over the place. He is waking up ALL night and needing me to go back to sleep. I won't do walk in/out since he is very touchy ( more than usual) because of weaning, so I think PD I will have to repeat. My question is, if his usual bedtime is 7pm ( asleep), as we start the routine at 6:15-30, how much earlier should I put him down when doing PD so he does not get extremely overtired?? The first time with PD was 3 1/2 hours for the first while, and I am anticipating a real dissaproval from him again, so it will take a while. I can't put him down at 4, obviously, so what time is reasonable to give him time to adjust to PD but not end up in him being overtired?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Melissa

Offline jayne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 12:40:57 pm »
i would try starting  bedtime at 6:00 i also have a touchy/spirited one same age as yours--if our nightime routine is off i really dread it--  good luck let me know how it goes :)
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Repeating PD with toddler
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 16:48:24 pm »
I also have found that sometimes getting back on track means some tweaking in the schedules, say if ds has gone through a couple of weeks of restlessness due to sickness, teething, etc. we might end up having a later bedtime, or a different routine.

With ds, walk in/walk out didn't work either. I had a particular rough patch last december with teething, where sleep was off for a whole month, including naps, he was so overtired that i never knew when to put him down or how much he was sleeping actually.

What we did is that dh and i took night shifts. We'd do the routine at the very same time as we used to, being careful that it was a reasonable awake time between the end of his nap and bedtime, so he'd be tired. With the help of some pain aids (remember you have the 2 year molars coming on, and pain can be disguised as restlesness) we'd put him down and put a blow up matress on the floor. Everytime ds got up, we'd shsh and tell him, nighty night, go to bed, I'm here for you but im tired and need to sleep. THat way, if he'd have a night waking, we'd be there and we'd prevent him from standing and freaking. THe rough time lasted like a week. Then we were able to return to our own bed for half of the night and by 2 weeks we'd only put him down and leave and then we'd return for the one night waking he was still having.

Sometimes with spirited little guys, the pd takes longer than expected. By giving him company and reassuring him but letting him know things are not going to change, he might get the message sooner cause they understand a lot at this age.

HTH and Pm in case you need any more details. GOod luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake