Author Topic: Planning ahead-Need Help!  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Planning ahead-Need Help!
« on: March 25, 2006, 20:55:22 pm »
Grayson is almost 6 months old and I'm trying to prevent food allergies.  So far he has been EBF.  I haven't eaten dairy since he was born.  I have gotten milk by accident two times and both times he was a mess-screaming for hours.  Needless to say I will not be eating dairy anytime soon.  At this time I plan to continue breastfeeding for a while but I'm concerned with after he or I decide to stop.  Aidan's (has many food allergies including milk) current allergist suggested I give Grayson breastmilk or hypo-allergenic formula until age 2.  This brings me to my question.  Should I introduce a hypo-allergenic formula at six months for one bottle a day so that he gets used to the taste?  I have heard they taste terrible and he won't take it if I wait too long.  To be honest I don't see myself breastfeeding until age 2.  Although I have considered pumping and giving it in a cup when he is older if my body allows but who knows if I can keep that up.  So what do you think?  I know I can give soy milk after a year but he may have a problem with soy also.  And there is rice milk but rice milk has no protein or fat.

The allergist said that even though the formula is dairy based it is so broken down that he would be fine.  She also told me to get one that is pre-mixed and not got corn in it.  I can't remember which one at the moment but she said sometimes when a baby has a reaction to the hypo-allergenic ones it is because of the corn.  It scares me because Grayson must have a terrible sensitivity to it because the two times I got dairy it was minimal.  One time I had candied nuts on a salad and didn't know the chef had used butter. :'(  The second time a friend used a guacamole mix that had dry milk in it.  I don't usually let others make food for me but I didn't even give it thought.  The next day DH called and said "could you have gotten milk?"  I told him no but when I started thinking about it I figured it out.  Poor baby screamed his head off. :'(

I need feedback from you smart people

Also, What solid foods should I start with?  I figure I will start solids after he turns 6 months, which is quickly approaching.  TIA
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 21:06:18 pm by Jennifer2e »
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Planning ahead-Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 21:19:00 pm »
Just MHO, but I think you could try dairy at one year, and not necessarily wait until 2. However, either way, I'd try not to do formula at all. That's just another whole can of worms and you don't know if Grayson will take the formula and/or react negatively. Additionally, the "hypo-allergenic"formulas (like Alimentum and Nutramigen) still have milk in them - it's just that the milk proteins are already broken down and therefore easier to digest and less likely to cause a reaction. The only truly dairy free formulas are Neocate and Elecare which are VERY expensive and don't taste good at all! If it were me, I would stick with strick no dairy diet until 1 year and continue to BF and then wean him - perhaps trying 2% milk instead of whole milk (often an easier transition). Soy milk is also a possiblility and you can also add flax oil to rice milk for fat content. Goats milk is a possibility too.

As for solids, my biggest advice would be to go slowly. Rice cereal or oatmeal might be OK but you should only use Beechnut (or an organic brand like Earth's Best) since Gerber has soy in it. Another great first food is banana - you can either mash one up with a fork or puree one with a little EBM - use a very ripe organic one. Easy to digest, etc. Pears are a good first food too. Since you have a family history of allergies I would give a new food in the morning only for two days. If no signs of reaction you can do twice a day if you like. I'd do each new food for 5-7 days before introducing a new one as some reactions can be delayed.

Hope that helps - let me know what you think. And good luck!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:15:20 am »
Lately I have been reading a lot about cereal not being a beneficial first food because it dosen't offer much other than iron.  I read that it is better to give meat.  Anyone else heard this? 
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 11:54:25 am »
Cereal can be hard to digest. At 7.5 months we still don't do any cereals - we may try oatmeal again soon. We are currently only eating peaches, peas and bananas - trying prunes today and sweet potato next. Carrots were OK but constipated.

However, I don't believe in meat before 9 months - definitely not before 6-7 months. I'd start with something easy to digest like banana or pear or a root vegetable otherwise.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 03:39:50 am »
With Max I did fruits/veggies, and then oatmeal. Cheerios and breads around 7-8 months when he could start picking them up. He only ate meat if it was mixed with fruit, so I'm not a good one to ask about that.

I agree to avoid the formula until you would absolutely need it. Even if you can ebf until 1 yr, and then introduce rice milk with other proteins and fats making up for what he would 'miss' with cows milk or soy. Or if he can do soy and you feel comfortable with it, that is the option at that point, or sometimes even 11 months or so for these allergenic babies.

I can imagine your groan when I say this, but I would definately keep nursing as long as you both can make it - 18 months to 24 months if you can. Don't hit me. I'll write more on this later.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies