Author Topic: vitamin supplements for toddlers  (Read 1748 times)

Offline mumofone

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
vitamin supplements for toddlers
« on: March 26, 2006, 13:15:42 pm »
I've been looking at multi-vitamins for my toddler, but not sure what to get or whether he needs them or not.  He eats fruit regularly, but veggies are a bit more difficult - nothing new there then. ::)
I know I should just ask my health visitor, but they are not always very helpful and their advice has not always been appropriate in the past, but I won't go off on a tangent.
Ruth x

Offline mumofone

• BW Aficionado
Re: vitamin supplements for toddlers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 13:21:40 pm »
oops!! clicked too soon.

I just wanted to ask other mums what they do for their children and then make my own mind up  :)
Ruth x

Offline Pigeon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 14:45:56 pm »
Hi,
Our LO (23 months) is on Abidec (multivitamin drops), the dosage is on the packet. I know what you mean about Heath Visitors, advice can be conflicting.  ::)
The way I think of it is, its certainly not doing her any harm and she has a very healthy, balanced diet anyway, plus she likes to take them, so its a no-brainer really  (I think if it were a battle, it would be a different story).
HTH
 :)
Laura, studying SAHM of
Megan Isabelle - April 2004
William Harvey (Billy) - March 2007

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 14:47:58 pm »
We give liquid vitamins with added flouride, as our water doesn't have flouride.
I agree with Megansmummy - ds likes to take them (ok, maybe doesnt LIKE to, but doesn't mind terribly) and that way I worry a lot less about what he eats - if he goes on a chicken nugget and green bean tangent for 2 months straight ::) ::), I feel better knowing he's at least getting other vitamins.

Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline mumofone

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 20:24:54 pm »
Hi Laura and Tonya

Thanks for the replys I had been looking at the chewable vitamins but I think you are both right that the drops would be the way to go at the moment.  Like you say it is more for peace of mind, I have started taking multi-vitamins myself that is why it is on my mind at the moment.  Plus he does go through phases of not eating much variety - whatever I offer him.  I am going to start buying organic veggies (hopefully grow some too!) everyone that I know who buy organic swear that the taste is far superior.  Worth a try anyway.  I will look at the multi-vitamin drops tomorrow and give them a try, then that is one less thing to worry about.  Thanks for the help.
Ruth x

Offline mommyOfX

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • pillowhead designs
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 02:09:25 am »
Xavier eats the chewable Flintstones multi-vitamins.  I asked the pediatrician and she said he was old enough to take those (they are usually for children 2 and over).  He doesn't drink milk and he's a small eater, so every little bit helps. :)
~*~*~*~
Angela (formerly X's mommy)
mommy to Xavier Ronan

my online shop: http://pillowhead.etsy.com

Offline mommyOfX

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • pillowhead designs
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 02:10:05 am »
Doh!  I forgot to mention, he doesn't actually chew them.  I grind one up and mix it in with his yogurt. :)
~*~*~*~
Angela (formerly X's mommy)
mommy to Xavier Ronan

my online shop: http://pillowhead.etsy.com

happy mommy

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 04:27:45 am »
My Xavier also does the Flintstone Chewables.  He is 3 1/2 and he loooooves them.  He calls them "My Colors" cause they come in 3 different colors.  He eats them like candy!!  I have to put the bottle up where he can't climb to it or he'd be helping himself!!!

Offline mumofone

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 08:32:59 am »
I bought some sanatogen syrup for babies - it goes up to age 5years.  He is taking it okay, but I don't think he likes the taste and I don't like the smell of it, so I don't think it will be long before he is onto the chewable ones too.  The ones I looked at did not have an age range on them and I wasn't sure if he was old enough, but I think he will be by the time we finish the syrup.
BTW it has been raining non-stop here for days so I did not get my veggies planted yet  :(
Ruth x