Author Topic: Constant whining  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
Constant whining
« on: March 27, 2006, 05:21:10 am »
For the last 2 weeks or so Gage has been whiny constantly from about 30 min after waking. I feel bad asking about this as it is the least of our prob., but it is making me crazy ::) Gage will whine even when he is deeply engaged with a toy. He does stop with a really interesting and new activity ie. a visitor. I don't know if it is just boredom or if I have encouraged this somehow. I have tried ignoring it, changing the scenery, picking him up, and nothing seems to work. Has anyone else experienced this?

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Constant whining
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 05:24:59 am »
my lo gets extremely whiney when she's teething and/or uncomfortable with pain...usually followed by a day/night of ONLY wanting mommy!  how long has this persisted? could it be he has just found that part of his voice now?..if so he won't do it forever - although it may seem like it!  ;)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 17:14:54 pm »
Hi there! No, Gage has had his voice for some time now lol. But I think that he might be grunting when he concentrates or wants something. So yes, I do think this may be another way to vocalize his wants. I like the yodling better I think.  :D I can wait for this to pass. Thanks for the reply. Oh also, he may be teething as he has opened the flood gates on the drool. I will give him some teething meds and see if that helps.

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 17:47:09 pm »
good luck...and like many things ... yes this too shall pass  8)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 18:23:02 pm »
Ma wee one was exactly like this before we came to Scotland to visit our family. There was even a point were we had to carry him about and see other people to cheer him up. What worked for us is buying a bunch of new toys and sit him up in the highchair playing with a whole bunch of new toys.

He would also be grumpy in the morning, we just gave him some cereal in his last bottle at night. That helped. The early morning grumpyness was actually hunger, the daytime grumpyness was boredom. Changing positions and me playing with him wasn't enough anymore...

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 00:18:04 am »
I have a whinger as well gets it from her Mummy  :D
I find she does it when she is bored and wants to do something new and especially when teething which is going on right now  >:(
I have also figured out recently that she just wants a quick cuddle and go back to playing.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Jenna's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 21:34:59 pm »
Hi... my dd is only 3.5 months old and she seems to moan and whine also... isn't she a little young to be getting bored?  I think it's a combination bored/tired, but she's not tired enough to go to sleep yet as we've tried that several times and she's just not ready.  She'll start to whine and moan about an hour after her nap so I'm sure she's not yet ready for another nap.  It's difficult because right now I'm actually trying to extend her "A" time to get her to a 4 hour EASY routine, but with all the whining it's difficult.  Any ideas?

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 01:38:43 am »
Hi Jenna's mom! Oh Boy did/does Gage do this during extending A time. You can set a clock to him. I just provide intense or new activity just before that time and 10 min after. This preoccupies him and takes his mind off of being tired. It works most of the time. Also, we go out alot so the enviornment will do the entertaining. I think this pretty common amongst babies. HTH

Offline Jenna's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 01:59:46 am »
Thanks Gage's mom, nice to know it's normal  :) 

In the evening while I'm getting dh and my dinner ready, I put my dd in the swing and this will usually entertain her enough to stay awake even if she's whining a little.  Sometimes I'll even give her a paci too.  It's one of those inbetween times where she's not due another nap but I need to keep her awake until her last feed and bath.  I know the swing isn't advised by BW but my dd doesn't need it as a sleep prop (or the paci - yet!) and it's the only thing she'll stay in long enough for me to get the dinner ready where I don't have to worry about her.  I guess I'm just wondering if this is ok... what do you think?  She has some swing time every day, but doesn't have trouble going down for naps or bedtime. 

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 04:01:12 am »
I think it is totally fine. It doesnt sound like it is being used as a prop or a babysitter, so I think it is fine. Gage used one, but wore out the motor because he is a chhunky muffin. Sometimes when I make dinner or clean the kitchen, I let Gage watch. I explain to him what I am doing and he is surprisingly engaged. I figure I am training him early to be a good husband (one who cooks and cleans)   ;)

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 09:49:14 am »
Alice
Calum started this a few weeks ago, he seemed to be saying he was; bored / not wanting anymore food/ or generally unhappy / wanting attention.  I haven't noticed it this week  ::)
Lauren x