Author Topic: Help with transition to sippy cup  (Read 1331 times)

Offline sycorrell

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Help with transition to sippy cup
« on: March 28, 2006, 21:12:26 pm »
My daughter is 13 months old.  She has no problem drinking water or juice from a sippy cup (and has been doing so for several months) but is refusing to drink milk from one.  She will drink a little and then shoves the bottle aside and cries.  I have visions of her being 4 years old and still drinking from bottles!  Any help?

Stacy C.
Mother of Julia, born February 9th

Offline Sylvia.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 232
Re: Help with transition to sippy cup
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 22:09:53 pm »
hang in there, just keep offering it to her, i used an pop top bottle, similar to adult water bottles with a sucky lid thing that you pull up for drinking and down for closed, why not drink out of a sippy cup yourself and you partner as well, don't sweat, if you keep encouraging her then she will do it, when i stopped bfing i just gave her the bottle and she drank what she wanted and left what she won't drink, we only drank a small amount at first, we started at 14 months, i just gave her heap of cheese and yogurt, if you really want to stop the bottle just put them away and never get them out again, it will happen just be consistent

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 23:23:08 pm »
I think persistance is the key. Keep offering it to her and she will eventually get that this is how she will be drinking her milk. I have just started trying my DD with milk in a cup to try and get some more into her at lunch time. The first time she drank 10mls then 20mls and now she can drink up to 50mls (with my help of course). I am just going to persist and take it slow that is the key.
Good luck.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 06:45:34 am »
Lauren x

Offline sycorrell

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 14:01:43 pm »
Thank you so much for all the help!  I am going to try some of the techniques in the link.  We did start her out with juice and water in the sippy.  I will try to introduce both water and milk with meals to try to introduce it.  Right now, she is practically hysterical when I try to replace her regular bottle with a sippy.  I welcome any other thoughts or ideas.

Stacy C.
Mother of Julia, born February 9th