Author Topic: 4month old gets tired fast after last nap of the day  (Read 1165 times)

Offline elliotlove

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
4month old gets tired fast after last nap of the day
« on: March 27, 2006, 21:06:25 pm »
Hello.
My 4 month old son usually takes a 1.5 hour nap in the morning, a 45 minute nap in the afternoon...and a 2 hour nap in the late afternoon.......
My problem is A time after the last nap. He gets tired so fast......

For example, yesterday he took a 2 hour afternoon nap and woke at 5:00. We gave him a bath and tried to hold him for awhile, but he gets tired so fast he just wants his bottle and to bed.
He winds up going to bed at 6pm and I think this is TOO EARLY.
Not to mention he woke 3 hours later and took a full feeding....yes, I know this is a different issue (we have tried giving him  more in his bottle but he rarely takes more than 5 oz a feeding)
any suggestions?

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: 4month old gets tired fast after last nap of the day
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 03:38:49 am »
I wouldn't worry about the early time - in another week it'll be an hour later anyway! (assuming you're in North America, anyway :))

As for the rest of the schedule, by the end of the summer you won't even recognize this schedule you've just posted - it'll seem like it belongs to a whole different kid who never lived in your house. I'd try to extend the second (short) nap (see Naps forum for suggestions and a post about what Tracy had us do with Josie at almost 4 months) and see if you can get the last nap to be shorter.

Also, instead of trying to increase feed amounts, you could try spacing them closer together closer to bedtime, maybe every 2-2.5 hours instead of 3-4 hours for the last 2-3 feeds. It might take a while to work out a system (which will change in 2-4 weeks anyway LOL), but worth a try.

Offline elliotlove

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 13:16:31 pm »
I think I will try this.
I am always so concerned about "snacking" because its written about so much in BW that I only feed during 3.5 - 4 hour intervals, but obviously he is still hungry because he wakes only hours after being put down.
I will try this tonight as I am feeling really desperate...its been like this for a month,,,waking every 2 or 3 hours in the night

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 09:51:43 am »
Hiya
Calum also had a shorter wake time before bed at 4 months. Now he goes about 4 or 5 hours and will not nap in between  :o

I can't remember from before, are you clusterfeeding, is he maybe going through a growth spurt?
Lauren x
Lauren x