Author Topic: Allergy or just the tummy bug?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Allergy or just the tummy bug?
« on: March 27, 2006, 23:54:31 pm »
Hi there

I have just started introducing solids to my 5 1/2 month old dd. She has had rice cereal and sweet potatoes.  Last Thursday night, she had sweet potatoes for dinner, which she really seemed to like and then she had some more for lunch the next day (Friday).  I noticed on Friday night, she wasn't very hungry for her bottle before bed.  I go to get her out of bed on Sat. morning and see that she vomited some of her formula.  I then gave her her morning bottle and she couldn't keep it down.  She has diarrhea now and has been able to keep down some formula, although it is about half of what she normally eats.

So, should I suspect the sweet potatoes? Or, does this sound more like a tummy bug?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am wondering if I should try and give her sweet potatoes again.  Right now, she won't eat any solids at all as she just doesn't have the appetite.

TIA!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Allergy or just the tummy bug?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 00:36:24 am »
It sounds like the sweet potatoes to me. BTW - always better to intoduce a new food in the morning - I like to do a new food in AM only for two days and then if no sign of reaction will do a second meal of it if desired - and I give each new food 5 days to test for any delayed reactions.

I would eliminate the sweet potatoes and see if she gets better. Once she gets better, maybe try a different new food and wait a few weeks before trying sweet potato again? Have you tried banana? Quite easy to digest.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 00:41:54 am »
Lots of little ones seem to have trouble with sweet potatoes at first.   Try them again in a few weeks.  It also sounds tummy buggish to me.  Time to break out the pedialyte to help her stay hydrated.  I'd skip the solids for a few days and take her to the doc if she is still having problems tomorrow.  It does not take much to dehydrate someone that size.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 01:00:07 am »
Thanks!  You think a sweet potatoes could make her this sick for 3 days so far?  Wow. I did forget to mention that she also vomited on Sunday.  Twice Saturday, once Sunday. Wouldn't this be more like the flu if she is sick for more than 1 day?   I gave her pedialyte all day Sat. as she wouldn't eat anything.  I called my ped this morning and they just indicated that I should start the pedialyte again if she vomits more than twice in one day. So far, she has been ok today, just not very hungry.

I haven't tried fruits yet as I want to get her used to veggies first.  I was told that I should try veggies first cuz if they get fruit, they tend to not want their veggies as much?  Seems logical :-\  I though sweet potatoes was one of the first veggies they should try, along with carrots, peas, green beans? 

I know that I shouldn't introduce a new food at night, but she is in daycare all day and this is the only meal I get to feed her and I want to be the one who gives her a "new" food.  Selfish, I know  :-\

I guess I will give her a different veggie once she starts getting more of an appetite.  I would like to introduce sweet potatoes to her again down the road.

As you can tell, I am trying to convince myself it is the tummy bug, not the sweet potatoes :P

i

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 01:59:16 am »
It could be either - bug or food. I'd wait until she's better for a few days before trying anything again.

As for fruits vs veggies, IMHO that's a myth. Babies will eat what they like and their tastes will change. We actually started with fruits but DDs current fav is peas.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01