Author Topic: Waking up and wanting breast milk  (Read 1495 times)

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Waking up and wanting breast milk
« on: March 28, 2006, 03:21:02 am »
I need some help.

I breast feed my 14 month old 4 times a day.  But just the last 3 days, he has been waking up at different times crying hard.  Usually he can put himself back or if we go in, we stay and he goes back to sleep.  But thest times he has been crying hard, pulling at me, and going for my breast.  I try pd method but he is so upset.  So I fed him.  One night at 2am, another night at 3am and then another night at 11:30pm.  So all different times.

I do see his upper molar tooth coming in but I was wondering should this affect his hunger or thirst?  I feed him my breast milk as usual and also give him homo milk with his meals.  I sometimes even think that I feed him a lot of milk but still at night this is what he wants. I waited the first night for an hour before finally giving the breast.

So is this normal for a teething baby?  How will I know when or if it becomes accidental parenting?

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Waking up and wanting breast milk
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 05:23:58 am »
I don't think it's hunger. I think it's the comforting and soothing that he's desiring. When he's upset at night can your husband go in?
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 17:23:30 pm »
I don't think it's hunger either but possibly, thirst since teething makes them droll a lot, therefore loosing important quantities of water through that. Would he drink from a sippy or bottle? if so, you can offer him some plain water for his thirst. Also try some pain aids before bed so he won't wake up from pain. Sometimes the pain makes them have a light sleep, therefore waking at any sight of thirst, wet diaper etc. WIth a deep sleep that wouldn't happen, so to prevent any wakings, try some tylenol or motrin before bed till the molar is out and you're positive there are no others on its way. You can use tylenol on a dialy basis for two months. Motrin is harder on the stomach so i just use it for the "week crisis" of teething. Also ask your ped if he ok's this.
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 17:41:47 pm »
Yesterday he woke at 10:00 but put himself back to sleep.  Then he woke at 11:00 and my husband was able to get him back.  THen he woke at 12:00 and I went in and he wouldnt do pd with me.  When I picked him up he was basically crawling up my chest to jump out of my arms.  I had the advil ready and he pushed his face away- not letting me give it to him.  I finally gave it to him by holding his hands.  Then we waited 15 min and he still was visibly upset. My husband came in to see the commotion and my son was still so upset.  We didnt know what he wanted!  I finally gave in and fed him.  He nursed but after the session he was still upset.  So that has to be teeth right? 

I held him, talked to him, and walked around the room with him. He finally calmed (50 min later) and went to sleep at 12:50.  He woke up 5:50!

Is it ok to give children's advil daily?  I only give it at bedtime when he wakes but perhaps I should give it to him when I put him down for bed.  This has been going on since last Tuesday and I just dont know how long its supposed to last? 

When the tooth is visible but not completely down - would that still be painful or is the worst over?

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 21:26:45 pm »
I would give the pain meds before he goes to sleep and see if it reduces or eliminates the night waking. That way you can determine whether or not it's teething/pain. I've found that you only have to do it for a short time (less than a week) before you see a change. Teeth often go up and down a bit before they actually come out, so the pain can come and go (I don't know if this is an accurate description of the teething process, but it's how I've explained it to myself!) I think you'll find that you only need the meds for a few nights.
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 18:46:58 pm »
Advil is a strong in the stomach as Motrin is. I've myself have found that some teething processes might last up to one month (sp. molars or eye teeth). But the "crisis phases" where the pain makes them be restless at nights is up to 2 weeks at most. Anyways, you might want to try Tylenol or some type of Paracetamol which is mild on the stomach and can help in some cases as good is as Ibuprofen does. Some friends of mine go Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun with Tylenol and the other days with Motrin till the tooth is out. WIth molars, you may see the corners are out but sometimes the center of the molar hurts when coming out too... ::)it is a tough process.

I'd try the meds before bed to prevent wakings, and agreeing with Sacmommy, it might take a couple of days to see some results. You might also want to stop nursing at nights cause that is definetly not what your lo is wanting... Hang in there and keep us posted!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake