Author Topic: Dropped feed but still waking  (Read 3897 times)

Offline mumoftwo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 06:47:27 am »
Hi Kezia

Just read your post agin now that I am properly awake.  Edward woke at 3am, gave 3oz of milk, then again at 3.30, 4, 5 & fed at 6am (7oz won't take any more).  Going to see how he goes today.  If he wants to feed less than 4 hourly does that mean he's ready for solids (he's 5 months now)?  or should I change to feeding 3 hourly & increase his 2am feed?

Thanks again

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Dropped feed but still waking
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 07:38:01 am »
Oh dear so sorry it didnt work out for you, might be worth a try for 3 nightds if you feel up to it. I dont think its alot of milk for a 20 week old, my LO has never been a big drinker.

SHe is now 6 1/2 months old and has breakfast, lunch, tea and three bottles of about 7oz each and we are forever trying to get her to take more.

in the past four nights she had been waking at 5.00am something she never does and we discovered it was due to hunger, we ended up giving her ready break just before she went to sleep and she managed to sleep through until 6.45am

I do wonder whether it could be a hunger thing, have you thought about solids at all????
Amelie Grace's mum

Offline mumoftwo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 09:32:35 am »
Hi ya

certainly thinking about it now. He has doubled his birth weight & is drinking more milk over the last couple of days.  Did want to wait for the six month mark really but it may not be possible if he keeps waking loads at night.  Will see how we go over next couple of days & give more milk at 2am tonight to see him through till 6am (he certainly would have taken more last night). 

Is it ok if I keep you posted?  See what you think is going on.

Thanks a lot.

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 23:34:15 pm »
Hi there momoftwo

Kezia PM'd me about this thread and asked me to jump in and take a look at the issues you are having (thanks Kezia)

Can you answer a couple of questions for me:

How old is DS now?
What is your daytime routine like - what time does DS wake up, feed, nap, how long, how much, when is bedtime?
EXACTLY what happens at bedtime?  HOW does DS fall asleep?
Is there a pattern to the night wakings?  What times?  What happens when he wakes up during the night? How long is he awake for?  What are you doing to get him back to sleep?

I know you've already gone through all of this in previous posts but if you can post all the current information for me I'll see if anything stands out to me.

Jo

Offline mumoftwo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 07:57:35 am »
Thanks Jo

Edward (5 months) was on 4 hr EASY though taking 8oz bottles (though not always finishing them) at:

6am
8am nap (45mins-1hr 30mins if I can extend).  All other naps erratic & usually short).
10am
2am
6am
10pm (DF)

He's always been a short napper & I was working on extending those.  He used to wake a couple of times in the night 2ish &4ish but I used to resettle with a dummy & take it away when in 2nd stage of sleep.

It seemed that he was hungry during the night so I re-introduced the 2am bottle (three nights ago).  Then he started feeding every three hours in the day.  Here's his schedule for yesterday:

6am Awake & 6oz

9.45 7oz

1.20pm 6oz

3.30pm 8oz

6pm 6oz 

6.30pm bed but didn't sleep till 7pm

10pm (DF) 5oz

1.30am 4oz

4.30am 6oz

5.30 awake & settled with dummy

7am (Awake) 3 1/2 oz

As you can see his schedule has totally gone out of the window & I really don't know when to feed him anymore!

He's a short napper (was working on that before this happened as only discovered BW a few weeks ago when I started 4hr EASY).  Often EASAS EASAS etc.

He goes to bed at 6.30 (early because he's a short napper & gets so tiered by that time, also fights tea time nap so doesn't always get one).  He settles himself by sucking his fingers & is swaddled.  If I'm trying to keep him quiet in the night to stop him waking DH & DS1 I used a dummy & withdraw in 2nd stage.

Went cold turkey with dummy a few weeks ago as he had a sleep association (accidental parenting problem) so use with extream caution now!

DS has bath at 5.45pm, bottle at 6pm, bed at 6.30pm with white noise cd.  sucks fingers to sleep.

Help!  Don't know what to do.

Hope I've answered all your questions.  Thanks for looking.

Offline mumoftwo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 17:44:19 pm »
Hi again Jo

Had a detailed look at my record of night wakings over the last few weeks and the timing is in actually fact very random, not at 2am & 4am as I had thought.  Could that indicate hunger?  Going to try and consolidate the two early hours feedings tonight by doing a dream feed at 11am & not 10pm & give a bigger feed at 3am. 

He feed today at .
7am awake

7.15am

8.45-10.45am nap (2hrs)

11am

12.30-1.30 nap (1hr)

2.45pm

3.20 - 4.00 nap (40mins)

6.00 bath (as very tired)

Tried to feed 6.15 but refused.

6.30 bed

will try & feed again at 7pm (although he's fallen asleep already, will try to feed whilst asleep)!

Anyway, today has been better, could that be because he had more milk in the night?

Thanks Trudie

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 22:54:04 pm »
Hi Trudie

I just wanted to pop on and say I haven't forgotten about you, I'll have a look through your posts and get back to you as soon as I can

Cheers
Jo

Offline mumoftwo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 07:09:50 am »
Hi Stacey

Thanks for that.

Feed Ed at 7pm & DF at 11pm as planned.  Then he slept till 3.15am took 6oz and slept till 7am!!! ;D

So it was hunger.  He was back on four hour easy starting at 7am.  So fingers crossed that with the 3am feed he'll be fine.  Will work on his naps again now.

Thanks
Trudie