Author Topic: Help Starting E.A.S.Y with 9wk old  (Read 1185 times)

Offline EddiesMum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 28, 2006, 21:40:58 pm »
Hi,

I'd like to properly implement easy with my 9wk old lo.(He'll be 10 weeks by the time i start)
At the moment he sleeps in his swing during the day and in his bassinette during the night. So i'd like to get him to sleep in his cot in his own room all the time. He also needs to be fed to sleep at night time.  He sleeps very well during the day till about 6pm, then it's on for young and old and is up till about 9pm - 10pm.I've started a bit by feeding him every 3 hrs from 7am and only keeping him up for 1.5hrs max before sleep and putting him back to sleep if he wakes before 1.5hrs is up.

I've got a couple of questions before I start.
1.  The Plan on page 43 of tracy's book is for 4 month olds, do I implement this but with pat/shh instead of pu/pd and a 3hr cycle?

2. He still likes to suck to settle himself in the evening or over tired/stimulated but wont take a dummy at all just rolls it around in his mouth. He has found his hand but can't control it very well and gets frustrated. Should I just go cold turkey on comfort sucking on the breast? What I try to do is at his evening feed let him get all sleepy then put him in his bed and pat shh till he is falling asleep. So he's not dead asleep when I put him down. The problem is I think he is starting to depend on this sucking as he's waking quite frequenly at night and will squirm and grissle in my arms untill I let him on the boob.. I'm just concerned about not giving him an alternate thing to suckle on as from the books it sounds like it is important to bubs.

3. I tried the bottle last night and he wouldn't have a bar of it, just rolled it around in his mouth like the dummy for dad, and got upset when I tried. Tracy's bottle introducing plan on page 126 is that for any age? Do I not feed him on the boob till he takes it? I'm hoping that if he takes the bottle he might start taking the dummy.

4. Is the 15-20 minute winddown time part of activity or sleep time? After the 1st yawn in can be about 20mins before he's drifiting off, do I start the sleep routine then or at the 10 minute mark?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

I can't wait to get started properly. I've been putting him in his cot after nappy changes while I leave the room and wash my hands. He's quite happy to lay there and look around which is a good sign!!

Anna

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: Help Starting E.A.S.Y with 9wk old
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 08:47:28 am »
Quote (selected)
1.  The Plan on page 43 of tracy's book is for 4 month olds, do I implement this but with pat/shh instead of pu/pd and a 3hr cycle?

There is a plan on page 34 you should follow, with the sshh/pat to get him to sleep for 2 sleep cycles.

Quote (selected)
2. He still likes to suck to settle himself in the evening or over tired/stimulated but wont take a dummy at all just rolls it around in his mouth. He has found his hand but can't control it very well and gets frustrated. Should I just go cold turkey on comfort sucking on the breast? What I try to do is at his evening feed let him get all sleepy then put him in his bed and pat shh till he is falling asleep. So he's not dead asleep when I put him down. The problem is I think he is starting to depend on this sucking as he's waking quite frequenly at night and will squirm and grissle in my arms untill I let him on the boob.. I'm just concerned about not giving him an alternate thing to suckle on as from the books it sounds like it is important to bubs.

You are quite right.  Put a dummy in his mouth straight after feeding at bedtime, and during the night if he is not hungry.  If he doesn't take to the dummy, you could always guide his thumb to his mouth so he could suck on that.

Quote (selected)
3. I tried the bottle last night and he wouldn't have a bar of it, just rolled it around in his mouth like the dummy for dad, and got upset when I tried. Tracy's bottle introducing plan on page 126 is that for any age? Do I not feed him on the boob till he takes it? I'm hoping that if he takes the bottle he might start taking the dummy.

Don't get yourself upset, this a foreign object in his mouth.  Keep on giving it to him, but don't let him get to hungry, as he won't take the bottle or the boob.

Quote (selected)
4. Is the 15-20 minute winddown time part of activity or sleep time? After the 1st yawn in can be about 20mins before he's drifiting off, do I start the sleep routine then or at the 10 minute mark?

It is part of the sleep time.

You have a very good plan, and getting him used to his cot is a plus.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline EddiesMum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 21:10:52 pm »
Thanks for your reply :)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline EddiesMum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 08:07:48 am »

Well today was the first day and it went pretty well :) Sleeping in his own cot :)

He went to sleep fairly well for 2 of our naps and fussed a bit this afternoon but he was fairly overtired as our naps were only 45 minutes long. I managed to get him to have 4 45-50minute naps so he missed out on a bit of sleep. I've posted in the Nap board for help on that one...

He fed every 2.5 - 3 hrs  because of the short naps and we tried to have a bit of activity after each feed, he definantly didn't feed to sleep :)

for the A time we had very low key just sitting in his bouncer looking around and talking to me.

I'm a bit scared about tonight as it'll be his first night not sleeping next to me. I'm sure I'm not going to sleep a wink! I kept peeping on him today in his room during naps hehehe.

I'll let you know how it goes :)

cya,
Anna

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: Help Starting E.A.S.Y with 9wk old
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 08:22:57 am »
I bet he'll surprise you.

Good luck   ;D
Corrina