Author Topic: Keeping Bottles when Out  (Read 1844 times)

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Keeping Bottles when Out
« on: March 28, 2006, 10:47:00 am »
How long can bottles still be ok to give babies while out of the fridge?
Also if you don't heat up a bottle and baby is happy to take a bottle at room temperture and they have drank some how long after that can you no longer give them anymore?
I have been told a few hours if not in the fridge and 1 hour after heating a bottle and giving a bottle you can no longer offer it again? Is this correct?
I am assuming it is the same in Australia as it is in the UK and USA.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Keeping Bottles when Out
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 11:05:50 am »
Natasha
This is a debated topic and I can only tell you what I personally do or have been told.

How long can bottles still be ok to give babies while out of the fridge?

My HV and maternity hospital said 1hr, I personally leave then out longer if I have made then, left them to cool and forgotton to refridgerate them.  :-[

Also if you don't heat up a bottle and baby is happy to take a bottle at room temperture and they have drank some how long after that can you no longer give them anymore?

Bacteria from your LO mouth transfers back into the bottle and speads very fast, so I don't reuse after Calum has had enough. Others have posted different, so you will get difference of opinopn here.

HTH's

Lauren x

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 12:16:43 pm »
i was the same as Lauren , i never offered a bottle again once he had enough . we were actually told 20 mins .
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 12:21:22 pm »
I was told never more than one hour. I never take ready made milk out, I just take a flask with warm water, put the formula powder in the sterilised bottle and then prepare it fresh outside. We are very much outside people and do that all the time, at least once aday since released from hospiatl and it works GREAT!

I'll make a thread of that :)

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 14:24:38 pm »
Same here.. we were told that once a bottle is out of the fridge it should be used within an hour and once a LO has drunk from it it should be thrown away and not used again.

When travelling I use a cold bag with an ice pack - bottles are safe in there depending on how long the cool bag says it is safe. My small one says they are safe for 2 hours but my bigger one says it is safe for 6 hours.

Helen xx

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 17:55:50 pm »
Natasha,

What we were told is that a bottle is fine out of the fridge (or in the fridge) for 24 hours if it has not been used at all. If it has been, then you should discard it after 1 hour because of bacteria. When we go out, we just put the powder in a dispenser or right into the bottle. Everywhere we go there's access to water so it seems to only make sense to just make the bottle up there.

I will admit though that if ds is being a spaz and only takes one or two swallows from a bottle we will put it in the fridge. Have never had any problems at all with this, but I'm not telling you to do the same either.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 19:15:56 pm by Colin Mac's Mom »
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 19:14:36 pm »
If we are going to be out for a while then I take bottles of cooled boiled water and some formula in a plastic tub and mix when needed.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 09:21:32 am »
I never pre make my bottles - I boil the water the night before - measure out all the bottles for the day and leave the water to cool.

If I go out during the day I pre-measure all the poweder into a container and then take it with me.

HTH

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007