Author Topic: Seriously at the end of my rope ... early waking problems  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 81
Seriously at the end of my rope ... early waking problems
« on: March 29, 2006, 18:50:50 pm »
Well, one really.  Hunter.

He naps great (usually at least 2 hrs), eates everything in sight ... especially cheerios and whatever is on my plate ... lol.  Goes to nap with minimal fuss, and to bed at night with no fuss at all.  Wakes up at 4:30-5am routinely since the last time he was ill ... say Jan or so.

We have tried
putting him to bed earlier
no nap
longer nap
putting him to bed later
trying to soothe him back to sleep 

NOTHING.  He's in a big boy bed and can open his door without waking us up.  He comes in anyways because he seems to want company in the livingroom while he plays .. even when we nap on the couch.  He sleeps with a night light, as he is afraid of the dark, we also have a night light in the livingroom to prevent night time disasters ... lol.

Any suggestions?  OH, we have a night shade on his window so that when it is light outstide, it reduces the light alot, but not everything, and he is almost 18 months old.

Any help would be great!
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Seriously at the end of my rope ... early waking problems
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 19:22:58 pm »
When you say you tried soothing him back to sleep, for how long did you do it? Also, i see he can get out of his bed easily and without a fuss, did you move him to toddler bed because he was climbing off the crib? How is he waking, crying, fussing, whining or just ready to start the day? You say he started waking since the last time he was ill, did you anything specific at that time (like giving the med or a bottle) or he just woke early out of discomfort.

I've tried the wake to sleep method with great success and also, i must admit i currently am doing a "MODIFIED" wake to sleep (where is the ashamed smiley? ;)) . DS had a rough path of early wakings last november and as you, i seemed to have tried everything. I tried the  wake to sleep and while it seemed to work over the course of a week, then the days began to start earlier so he started waking again with the light of day. I noticed he was hungry then. So I modified the wake to sleep and started creepíng into his room an hour earlier than the sun rise and sipped him a bottle. To my surprise, he drained it in his sleep and started sleeping longer and longer stretches. He was before waking at 7 am (i know it might sound late but ds goes to bed at 9, sometimes 10 pm!... long story but schedules in Mexico city are so different than yours guys... ::))... anyways, i'd zip the bottle at 6 am when it's still dark. He is now sleeping till 830 Am sometimes 9!!!!! (knock on wood LOL)...

If i don't do the bottle thing or do it later, say 640 when it's some sun outside, bang he's awake and cranky for the day. You say your lo is a great eater so perhaps he's having trouble keeping an empty stomach for long periods. It also had to do with the fact that my ds is a still a refluxer so the ped adviced me that some refluxer can't last stretches longer than 9 hours with an empty stomach.

HTH, in case hunger is not an issue for you, you might also want to try the wake to sleep. Crawl into his room at 4 am and wake him by rubbing his back or legs. Then get him drowsy till he's sleeping again and stay in the room till 530 for the first week. By day 4, don't wake him, just crawl next to his bed and sleep there in a blow up mattress. You might notice he's not waking but still stay there, in case he wakes, he'll see you there and you may remind him how's sleepy time. If by the end of the week, he's not waking anymore, start moving the blow up matress closer to the door each day till your out. Since this has been going for almost 3 months and you lo is now able to remember and able to climb out of his bed, you might have to spend up to 3 weeks "fixing" the wakings with this methods. Also, they might not work the first 3 days but they will, trust me.

keep us posted and good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 02:54:44 am »
Thank you.  :)  Even us moderators have some issues outstanding, don't we??

When I soothe Hunter back to sleep, I try it for 20 min to a half an hour.  I figure if it hasn't worked by then, it won't.  We moved him to a toddler bed soon after he bagan walking as the fuss he made wasn't worth the effort of keeping him in the crib, also, he was starting to try to climb out.  So all told, I'd say he's been in it from 13 months or so.  When he wakes, there's no crying or anything.  It's wake time and I want to play mode.  He goes into the livingroom, and then comes and gets one of us as our door is open for this reason.  He's also completely on the sippy cup, and in the last month and a half had started to refuse the night milk altogether.  We instituted a "bed time snack" and he started to drink the milk again, though not the full 8oz ... sigh.  He can go LOOOOOOOOOOOONG stretches witout food and milk, long being until 8 or 9 am, however, we have gotten into the habit of giving a sippy with milk as soon as he gets us up.  I think I will start stretching it out again and see if that helps any.

I haven't tried the wake to sleep thing lately, because it didn't work as an infant.  He sometimes wakes at midnight (habitual) to make sure that I am home, I am sure.  Until this week I worked evenings, and would leave just as Hunter went down for his nap, and returned between 11:15 and 11:30pm.  When he does wake, he wants me and not daddy, so this is why I figured that he's checking for me.  When he does wake in the night, sometimes for long stretches, he does not sleep for any significantly longer period of time in the am.  As I don't have the toddler book yet (next pay), how does the wake to sleep technique go for toddlers?   I have gone to days, though I don't know for how long with the business I am in, and put him to bed myself.  He woke me up at about 5:30 or 6am this morning.  Don't get excited though, he's sick and I had given him cough syrup and tylonol before bed.  I didn't hear from him all night, not even at midnight.  Which reminds me.  The last time he was sick, we were using medicines (decongestant) and he started waking due to being uncomfortable I think, more than anything else.

This evening I put him to bed at around 7:30 (well, he really fell asleep on the couch with my help  :-[) when normally he goes to bed at 8, and am hoping for the best.  As for going into his room at about 4 am, this is just impossible as this is when he is usually waking up as it is and would just promote the early waking .... or would it?  Any other suggested times, even if I have to set my alarm?  Also, sleeping in his room won't help.  DH tried this, and Hunter ended up getting up and staying up when he saw daddy ... he's in here so it's time to play, right?

He's such a stubborn child now.  SIGH. Thanks for letting me ramble.  I hope to have an attack plan to report back to you.  If the earlier bed time seems to help, I think I will start putting him to bed between 7:15 and 7:30 regularly.

Wish me luck, and thanks again.
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline Florencia

• Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 17:07:28 pm »
well then, first of all GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

wheew.... i have a tough challenge in my first week as a mod... are you sure this is not a test trial? LOL... i thought i knew all the answers LOL...

yep, sounds to me like you have one stubborn piece of cake in your hands. But i totally understand you there, mine is like my great grandmother reencarnated on him, ;D talk about attitude...

Hoping that the early bedtime is the key but preparing for the worst, and seeing that mom/dad's presence is only making him more awake, what about the wake to sleep with some walk in/ walk out? i thought he was waking at 430 and that's why i suggested waking him at 4 but we could do it at 330 or even 3. Also, are you sure he's not teething his 2 yo molars? My ds tends to wake early and happy as a clam when teething. Some pain aids before bed do the trick for me. I'd think of it as a possibility since Hunter slept to a "decent" hour today because of the tylenol. Although i think also that there is a reason to cheer since it only lasts for 6 hours so the extra sleep was all him ;) My ped explained to me that teething pain can cause light sleep, hence the early wakings. Is not a strong pain that causes upsetting or crying but enough to prevent deep sleep (like when you had too much for dinner and keep rolling on bed... oh do i know that feeling LOL).

I don't think there is a "wake to sleep" for toddlers section in the toddler book... can't remember tough but i did it just as a baby. Go, rub his back and tickle him till he whined and then started shshing and patting and telling him is nighty night, mommy's here. I did it for a whole week. Then i started with my "modified" method sipping the bottle and i still have to do it cause if i don't, ds will be awake at 7/730 am tops and with the "dreamfeed" he makes it till 9. I wouldn't recommend it tough if you can skip it ;) just the pure wake to sleep.

In case it backfires and he's awake for good (i seriously doubt it since it is too early, but anyways...) you can lie him down and telling him is nighty night and leave the room. He then will stand up and try to go out so you go, lie him again, tell him is time to sleep and leave the room again. Sort of a PD thing for a very mobile toddler. It has to work that way although i deeply wish the other plans work first cause this last one sounds like hours of fighting for me. Remember they're just testing where is the limit. So we have to show them even if they won't like it.

Good luck and keep me informed!

Offline Duckie

• Showing Appreciation 183
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 17:24:11 pm »
This might not be at all what you want to hear, because there really is no solution, but I have a friend who has a theory that children know when the time is about to change, because her daughter always had early mornings for about 6 weeks before the "Spring ahead".

Perhaps this will help??
Mother Duck to A (June/01), J (April/06), my sleeping S (2/Dec/03) and my nameless angels (1/July/04; 2/Nov/04; 13/July/05)

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 16:41:27 pm »
Hi Beth--hello from not so freezing Toronto!
Margot has been an early waker since going to one nap (that is when she isn't up for 2 hours in the middle of the night, sigh), so not sure I can offer anything other than support.

Just wondering--how long has Hunter been on the one nap and when is it?

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 02:29:14 am »
Soo many questions.  First an update.  He's been getting up at around 5:30 ish in the am for the last couple of days, and I don't think that the cough medicine is keeping him asleep like it did the first night.  He's waking in the middle of the night again ... some would think that this is annoying but for Hunter it's normal going and he goes back to sleep fairly quickly anyways.  I think that you might have a point Duckie.  My nephews were like that, according to my sister, and when I told her about what Hunter was doing, she immedialtly leapt onto it.  We will see on Sunday ... oh glorius Sunday.
Hunter was an early transitioner to one nap.  Around 10 or 11 months or so.  For quite a while I had issues with his pm nap and finally he just stopped taking them.  We moved his am nap to about 11:30 or so, and now it is usually around 12:30 or 1pm.  Today, however, he fell asleep on daddy during blue's clues, say around 9ish, and had his normal nap then.  If he sleeps in any longer, we may move his nap to around 10 rather than let him stay up.  More work for DH as he is staying at home, but oh well  ;) ;D

as for the teething question, he might be.  I just dunno with this kiddo of mine.  He cut the 4 teeth behind the canines all at once (the last is just finished cutting through) and from what you said, it explains Hunter from day one of teething.  He doesn't complain or anything, just shoves his hand into his mouth and drools over everything.  DH hates it ...lol.  he's now got the 4 top and 4 bottom front, skip the space where all the canines come in and then he has the 4 1st molars (are those the 2year molars????).

Phew, that was a huge answer just to get back to, hmmm, sounds like it could be all of it!  Will keep you posted though.

OH, no, I was not a test for you, honest.  I just save the big ones for the boards!!  lol, he he he he ;D

Thank you all so much for putting up with me!
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 01:47:46 am »
Hi there All:

Just a bit of an update.  With being sick, Hunter has been getting up around 6ish, as you all know.  Yesterday he came down with a 24 hr flu that MIL had (GRRR) and even with gravol in him, he still got up early, but dh was able to get him back to sleep.  I awoke at 6:45 to a sleeping Hunter!  Granted it would have been 5:45 the day before, but I am not complaining!  I was amazed!  Usually he only goes back to sleep for an hr at most in the am!  I went potty ... went to get breakfast, and as I am pouring the milk into my cereal, I feel a tug on my pj bottoms, and look down into a SMILING Hunter's face!  I was so happy!

He had an early nap this am apparently, and went to bed 20 minutes late (We were watching a movie and didn't notice the time  :-[), so I have big hopes for the am.  He didn't throw up all day, so he's not had any gravol.

Here's keeping my fingers crossed, ttfn!
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline Florencia

• Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 17:21:20 pm »
WOW that is great news!!!!!!!!!!!! (well not the flu part but anyways... MILs are loaded with a bag of happiness aren't they? LOL).

So, he might be having the "spring vibes" hence the early wakings? i hope they're off for good now. That gravol thing, is it an anti-histaminic? some kiddos react different to it and instead of being sleepy are all hyper.

As for the first 4 molars im afraid to tell you that they're not the 2nd year molars. We have 4 more to come! OH JOY OF JOYS!

Anyways, i'm happy that hunter is back to a decent waking hour. Fingers crossed for him to keep up the good job! Anything's better than 430 am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 12:27:41 pm »
HE SLEPT IN UNTIL 6:30 THIS MORNING!!!

He didn't wake all night, although I knew that he wasn't feeling well.  I did give him gravol before bed but he got caught up on sleep yesterday when I took him into town (45 min each way) and back again.  Hopefully he's on the road to sleeping in now.  Keep your fingers crossed.

As for the effct that the gravol has on him, it does make him drowsy, but he is able to fight it off if he tries, if that tells you anything.

Thanks for the support, I'll let you know what happens in the am.
 ;D
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline Florencia

• Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 17:46:50 pm »
fingers crossed for tomorrow morning! final test!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 01:09:02 am »
Well, he slept until about quarter to 5 this am, I was able to put him back down to sleep and he stayed there until just about dawn at which point he went into the livingroom to snuggle with daddy (who is there because our bed is not as comfy as the mattress as he is sick too right now ... sigh). and ended up falling asleep until about 8ish.  Hoping that we've turned the corner  ;D
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 02:22:10 am »
WE HAVE A BREAK THROUGH!  He hasn't woken up once before 5am for the last week or so ... now that I'm saying it though I'm cursing myself.  He woke yesterday at about 5, and within 15 or so minutes he went back to sleep and slept until 15 to 7 in the am ... when I have to get up anyways!  He was up at 5 this am and dh decided to let him in bed with us ... I've since told him where I stand on that issue, but all in all, it's going fantastic.  I dunno what changed, but it's working!!!

Thanks again all, it was helpful, even just to vent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 12:20:41 pm »
HE'S SLEEPING!  Consistently until my alarm in the morning, or when we go to the potty that is!!  I'm happy with that!  He woke at 4 this am, I went in, took his stuffed monkey from under him, rearranged the blanket and soothed his hair, and left.  He went back to sleep on his own!  YAY YAY YAY!  This, and even when he's not feeling well!

Thanks for the support!
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Offline Duckie

• Showing Appreciation 183
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 13:22:20 pm »
Shhhh!  Don't mention it to anyone!  Don't speak of this!  Knock on wood and spit on the ground and try not to jinx it!

And, Yay!
Mother Duck to A (June/01), J (April/06), my sleeping S (2/Dec/03) and my nameless angels (1/July/04; 2/Nov/04; 13/July/05)