Author Topic: silly question about fiber  (Read 964 times)

Offline bugbert's mama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
silly question about fiber
« on: March 30, 2006, 00:25:24 am »
i have a silly question that my husband and i just can't figure out...  are foods with fiber in them (green beans, sweet potatoes, etc.) still considered full of fiber even after they've been pureed?  or does the fibers need to remain "whole" in order for them to do their job?  our lo is always constipated and we've been upping the foods known to have lots of fiber in them, but because we're pureeing his foods, we're wondering if we're "destroying" the fibers?  i know that as adults, we chew our foods, thereby "destroying" the fibers, but...  ???????

thanks!

Offline txmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: silly question about fiber
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 01:28:19 am »
Definitely not a silly question!! Its seems confusing b/c the foods we associate with fiber are, well, fiberous.  Fibers are not destoyed as the "fibers" are microscopic.  The molecule cellulose if the one that keeps things "regular" and although I imagine there are machines that could break it up, I'm sure you do not have one in your home :)    Actually you can get fiber suppliments that have no texture whatsoever, not sure about the UK but in the states the best one is Benefiber.  I actually put it in tons of my 3 yr old's food ie. mac-n-cheese, pancakes, oatmeal, b/c he doesn't eat his veggies v. well.  He can't taste the difference.

PS, make sure that as you add fiber and  fiber suppliments that your little one is getting plenty of fluids as well.  If you are on formula you may want to talk to you dr. about adding some watered down juices to help your lo, also ask about whether fiber suppliments would be appropriate for your baby.

Hope this helps!

Offline bugbert's mama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: silly question about fiber
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 02:04:07 am »
we were thinking the same thing...  that fiber pills or things like metamucil are not what you would consider "fiberous" even though they are.

thanks!