Author Topic: Why I am so happy to be breastfeeding!  (Read 233119 times)

Offline shivi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
Re: Why I am so happy to be breastfeeding!
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2009, 19:34:42 pm »
hi girls....

I am so glad to have the chance to do the BFing thing again.....6 weeks in tonight and am so proud that my little daughter is about 1.5kg up (about 3 pounds) than where she was this night 6 weeks ago and her scrawny little legs are now quite chubby and she has not a double but rather a quadruple chin! Such a nice feeling that its all thanks to my milk!

nice to be here!

hugs

Siobhain x

ps. fed Oscar till he self weaned eventually (had a strike at 8 months) at 16 mths....12 of those was back in work fulltime. This time I will not be back in work till Emma is almost 8 mths so feel the first half year will be easier...we will see what time brings! Would like to go as long so as she gets "the same" as him.....

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline frymommy24

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2009, 19:08:55 pm »
I have a love hate realtionship with BF. I love I can nurse her and she calms down. I love feeling her get sleepy while nursing. I love not having to buy formula. I love seeing her gain weight and knowing my milk jugs are doing it =) I love how quick my extra 50 lbs are coming of.

I hate it when she fights me when she is nursing sometimes. I hate that she cant just nurse to put her to sleep. I hate that when im away from her i have to pump to keep my supply up. I hate how much it hurt for the first week.

I will BF my next baby for sure. There is a bond that I wouldnt give up to formula. 

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2009, 10:08:49 am »
Hi Siobhan, glad to hear feeding is going well for you! 

BF really seems to go through stages for us, now it is lovely. A month or so ago Leo used to pull my hair sharply all through feeds. I was starting to resent it. But he's back to gently playing with my hair, thankfully it's gentle as he spends the whole feed running his fingers through my hair.

Reminds me of you Rina, I remember you saying Hugh loved to play with your hair to put himself to sleep. I had DS in bed with us when he was really unsettled and I got NO sleep because he played with my hair all night.
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2009, 09:13:37 am »
"when they're old enough to ask for it, they're too old"

Dan can ask for water. Should I stop giving it to him? Sam can ask for milk. Should he not have that?
Can't wait to use that response!
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline Tamara

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • UK
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2009, 10:16:23 am »
"when they're old enough to ask for it, they're too old"

Dan can ask for water. Should I stop giving it to him? Sam can ask for milk. Should he not have that?
Can't wait to use that response!

LMAO - bloody well said Wendy  :-*

Ok, for me, it's a bit different this time around.  With Elin (who weaned at 16 months) I loved the fact that if all else fails I could BF her to sleep and she was hugely comforted by BFing.  I loved how much she enjoyed it, loved the closeness, the cuddles and how it actually felt.

With Ioan, it's a bit different, he doesn't seem to enjoy it very much - it's a means to an end for him and has never comfort BF.  However, at this point I still love the BF at the start of the day in bed (even if it only lasts a few minutes) and I am happy that I am still able to do this amazing thing for him that I'll never be able to do again for him and that no one else can do.  I still CHERISH those many many many many many nightfeeds we had where he actually fed properly, really relaxed and cuddly, not that I wish him to start NW again (after all, it's taken till 13.5 months for him to realise that he will not starve and can actually sleep 12 hours) but I do sort of miss those feeds.

Offline johanna01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2009, 03:48:21 am »
I'm nursing my DS at 11 mos, and it's been so much more than just the convenience, or the money saving.  It's those moments that no one else can share but the two of you.  Some of my favourite moments were over the winter, getting up at 2 or 3 in the morning, and cuddling up in 'the chair' knowing everyone else was asleep.  Snow falling outside, and feeling such a remarkable peace at having this wonderful little boy in my arms completely dependent on me.  It's just blissful.
Hugs to all you Moms who get it!!

Offline mummytired

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2009, 20:19:18 pm »
When he was very small and I felt like I had no idea what I was doing, the second we sat down the crying stopped and the wide mouthed grunting started.  It let me know that even if I was getting everything else wrong, as far as he was concerned I was getting feeding right  ;D

We don't get the grunting anymore but now I love the first feed of the day cuddled up in bed and how no matter how many things I think I ought to be getting on with I have to stop and have a wonderful quiet cuddle that always finishes with I big beaming smile.  :D

The things I love about it change as he grows up except for one thing, it's the best food for my baby and only I can make it  ;D

Offline ArdenJean

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2009, 13:24:36 pm »
After early latching issues (go breast shields!!) I am happy to say we are still BFing at 7 months with plans to continue to one year.  I love breastfeeding because:
* I love the way she plays with my clothes, hair, glasses, Mommy Necklace, mouth, etc.  while she grunts contentedly.
* While I'm not a fan of pumping, I'm very proud to send my milk for her to have during the day at daycare.
* It gave me an easy excuse to escape for some quiet time away from in-laws on a recent vacation!!!
* How excited she gets and tries to latch on through my shirt - then through the nursing bra and - at last! - boobie!!
* How happy and proud it makes me when ladies comment "good for you" when they see me nurse in public.
* DH loves to see her disembodied hands and feet flailing from under the Hooter Hider! ;D

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2009, 20:34:26 pm »
Wow, you have all really managed to take the words out of my mouth. At first I hated BFing, because we didn't get off to a great start. I thought it would be so natural and easy, and when my nipples started cracking and he was dehydrated because I wasn't producing I felt it like a blow to my heart. We kept at it, and still struggle sometimes... he goes on strikes once in a while, and he has teeth (and knows how to use 'em). But we will still keep at it, because it is the best for him and I have grown to love it. Things I love about breastfeeding:
- it is so cute when he pulls away and smiles, then quickly goes back on to earnestly resume his meal
- the last drops of milk always seem to dribble down his chubby cheeks
- it is SO easy to go out, travel, etc and just need to grab a blanket to cover myself
- the burbs, barf, and poop don't really smell that bad (until you start solids, anyway)
- it is free
- he loves it and is curious about everyone else's "equipment"; even men get examined as possible food sources when they hold him
Amy

Offline LisbonMom

• Ah ... where would I be without my BW community?
  • Showing Appreciation 94
  • Mom, doula, writer and babywhisperer
    • Doula in Lisbon, Portugal
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2009, 21:47:54 pm »
- he loves it and is curious about everyone else's "equipment"; even men get examined as possible food sources when they hold him

LOL!!!!!!
Sara

Come over to the Dark Side, we have popcorn.

Offline nazmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Our Little Princesses!
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2009, 04:23:43 am »
Awesome comments!!!  You ladies are fabulous and amazing!

I loved the reasons for bfing!!!

The reasons I love bfing are:
1. The awesome feeling of satisfaction I get
2. The excuse to go away from it all to BF
3. The dribbles of milk that run down her chin
4. The way she searches for her nummy mummies
5. The way she sits on my lap, facing me and comfort nursing in the middle of playing
6. Its free
7. The peaceful feeling she gets when she nurses, and the peaceful feeling I get

BFing really saved me.  I had a LOT of post pardum anxiety and I think that my determination to BF pulled me through.  We are still BFing and DD is going strong!

Hugs to you all!

Offline Chazziesmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Chazzie Boy
« Reply #161 on: May 04, 2010, 05:26:49 am »
I love bf too!  It took 2 full months for my barracuda baby to stop making it painful but I stuck with it cause I knew it was best for him and he is extremely healthy and extremely advanced for his age!  Aside from the precious time it gives me with him, cause he isn't a cuddler except for when he is bfing, once he is done, he's off like a shot:  I lost all my baby weight, 27 pounds plus 25 more pounds by 4 months!  It is way more convenient than I realized, I didn't have a pump until he was 6 months and I thought it would be so much easier when we were out in public or whatever if I could just give him his milk with a cup (no bottles for me, who wants to wean from the breast and the bottle? once will be enough!), now that he does that, I have to pump or wait until we get home while my boobs are like rocks and in pain!?!  Then you have to keep the milk warm, carry the cup and thermos, etc. etc. - it is much easier to bf than anything else - the grass is always greener til you get there  :)  Chaz is 7 months today and I am definitely going to the 12 month mark!

Offline waffler

• Showing Appreciation 10
  • Mummy get Nemo off me!
« Reply #162 on: June 12, 2010, 08:37:04 am »
Lara is 10 months and while I weaned DD1 (self weaned) at 8 mths, I'm so happy things are going well with Lara. Now, when I BF her, she plays peek-a-boo with me. Took me a while to realise what she was doing, she has a blankie/hankie that she fiddles with, and one day, she hid her face with it, then pulled it away, looked at me (still BF) and giggled. So i went peekaboo and she loved it. She does it all the time now. It's too cute.

up until 3 wks ago i was pumping every single day, just for a bit of extra milk and to help with supply. in the begining it seemed such a chore, but then it was just 15 mins a day of nohting really. No biggie. i find my supply dropping a bit but we're dropping a feed now too, so i'm going to pump again to help keep my supply up. I hope she doesn't self wean herself too soon, would love to go to the 2 year mark. Intitially, i had so many clogged ducts I thought of quitting and giving formula every day. But i just kept telling myself to get to 1 mth... 2 mths... 3 mths... 4 mths... hnow i'm confident of getting to 1 year, and after that, there's no stopping us. I won't be stopping her anytime soon, i hope she wants to keep going to mummy for her feeds and comfort too. I love how she squiggles around and gets all comfy, and how suddenly a leg will pop up like a Jane Fonda aerobics routine! love it :)
Dad/Husband : Matt
Mum/Wife : (Ali)
Daugher : Mira (28th March 2006)
Daughter : Lara (31 July 2009)

Offline Manueli

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • big hugs
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2010, 06:14:41 am »
I love:
- the way his little hands feel on my skin when he feeds
- the big smile I get when he unlashes
- the calmness, closeness, peacefulness
- that, if everything fails, I can always feed to sleep (very handy when traveling)
- that I can clean his nose and ears while he feeds :P
- that he can still be half asleep while feeding after waking from his sleep and has a nicer transition to being awake
Manuela - Hayden (02 July 2009), Lukas (27 July 2011)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2010, 21:54:55 pm »
As I sit here typing at 20lbs lighter than my pre-preg weight I have to say I'm quite happy to stull be bf'ing.

We had a horrible first couple of months but so glad we stuck it out.

I'm happy that we have finally figured out MSPI and reflux and boobie juice REALLY is the best thing for her.

I'm happy that it's FINALLY so much easier and I'm far too lazy to do bottles.

And I'm secretly happy that my in-laws (who are not fans of extended bf'ing past 2 months), have to wait for us to finish our quiet time together before they get to enjoy her. I often take much longer than I need to lol. 
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09