Author Topic: How can I encourage DD to chew?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
How can I encourage DD to chew?
« on: March 30, 2006, 13:03:23 pm »
I know this question has been asked many times, but how can I encourage DD to chew.

I'm now giving DD lumpy textures but she still swallows them whole, just like the purees, (as I see in the BM (TMI)) gags and chokes, sometimes she will be sick, but more often that not when she swallows she shudders.

Yesterday I gave her a sandwich (first time she knew what to do) (cut into strips) with cottage cheese, she gummed it a little, and swallowed.  Then she gummed a big bit and swallowed but before I could get it out of her mouth she was sick.

I eat in front of her and tell her watch mummy, so she can see me biting a little off, and with my mouth open I chew so she can see.  What else can I do?
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: How can I encourage DD to chew?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 17:29:24 pm »
Before we started giving lumpier textures, we started having family dinner, with all 3 of us there at the table so ds could watch us eat. As soon as we started with the lumpier and also arrowroot biscuits, he knew just what to do! I would say keep up with what you are already doing and eat in front of your dd as much as possible. She just might be a little slower to catch on but she'll get it!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 21:11:39 pm »
I have been having the same experience with William. All I have been doing is been making a game of chewing when I put the spoon of food in his mouth.. I chew too and make a sort of om om om noise which he finds hilarious and copies me and chews his food.
He's doing really well now and is managing tiny pasta shells, cheerios, fingers of toast and peeled grapes!

H xx

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 18:07:22 pm »
thanks everyone  ;D
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Baby Chase's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 02:36:26 am »
My DS JUST started chewing after a battle of throwing up/gagging....I think it just comes in time and gradually offering what you eat.  In the morning, I would give him a bite of my toast or as a snack later in the day offer cheerios broken into 4 parts,  or Farleys biscuits which are great because they dissolve with saliva, but also are firm so they can bite them.  I have also been offering him Baby Mum Mum's (rice crackers) which are thin and dissolve quickly too. 

good luck!

Tara
Mom to Chase
07/06/05