Author Topic: An intolerance I didn't think of....  (Read 1508 times)

Offline redfroggy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Sykesville, MD
An intolerance I didn't think of....
« on: March 30, 2006, 17:06:44 pm »
My DS since I brought him home would spit and spit and spit. I went on many trips to the ped's office to no avail.I could have sworn it was reflux. I could not find out what was wrong.
I tried every formula and had him on Nutramigen for awhile. As anyone knows, it is pricey. The spit up was only more expensive.I tried every formula, and nothing was working.
After much research I have found a viewpoint that I didn't think of, apparently many babies are intolerant of the DHA/ARA additive.

I switched to GS regular. It was a huge change.The spit-ups and fussines reduced so much.

If your baby tolerates it, keep it. It is needed, but a lot of babies are not tolerating it, and here is why:
It is not the same additive found in breastmilk. The fatty acid chain known as DHA/ARA in formula is made from fungus and seaweed. Not exaclty mom's recipe.
The AAP has never come out and said that they endorse the additive.They have yet to make a decison. They just said it was safe according to the FDA.
The study on the DHA/ARA additive was only 12-16 months long.
Studies also have not concluded whether the additive that is put in formula makes the difference that the additive in BM does.
So if nothing else is working for your LO, I would try switching to a formula withouth the DHA/ARA additive.

Now I have been advised that you can supplement oils that have the fatty acid in them, but I am still trying to find out if that is safe for a 3 month old or not.
If you do the same thing you always did, you get the same thing you always got.

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: An intolerance I didn't think of....
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 02:52:19 am »
Now that is interesting.  I like the view on Nutramigin.   :D  Holler if you find out if the oils are safe.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 11:41:15 am »
I've heard mixed things about fish oils re babies and safety. HOWEVER, I have heard (and Dr. Sears also recommends) flax oil for babies - and excellent source of fat, fatty acids/Omega 3 acids and has added benefit of relieving constipation! Sears recommends one tsp in baby's bottle or cereal/day.

Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 16:01:39 pm »
I was also going to suggest flax seed oil. And when babies are far enough along on solids, fish oil/oily fish and avocados also have good fats for brain/nerve development. :)

Offline redfroggy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Sykesville, MD
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 18:29:31 pm »
Mousemom,

When he was on Nutramigen, and my DH couldn't get over the price. My DS would spit up and my DH would say "Well, that was another two bucks. " LOL
If you do the same thing you always did, you get the same thing you always got.

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 19:17:28 pm »
Yeah, I had similar thoughts when we tried it.  Cheaper on E-Bay, but still...
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.