Author Topic: Advise re 13mt old throwing things at meal time.  (Read 1224 times)

Offline PinguCB

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Advise re 13mt old throwing things at meal time.
« on: March 30, 2006, 17:16:07 pm »
Hi,

I new to this forum so  .

Callum is 13mts and eats well, but for the past few weeks at meal time he has started to throw everything of the highchair, he has his own spoon and plate (with a little food on it as he is also trying to feed him self) but after a few mins of playing with this nicely he starts to throw and bang these if you give them back to him he does it again, if you say no you get   and he refuses to eat anything else.

Any advise from a desperate mum, I don't mind the mess its the throwing things that I want to get on top of.

Thanks.

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Re: Advise re 13mt old throwing things at meal time.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 02:58:39 am »
Hi!  My DS does the same thing - I think it is something most kiddos go through, but the mess is no fun.  :(  When my kiddo starts throwing things off the tray, I ask him to please not throw (he may not understand the words, but gets the message).  If keeps it up, I just remove the spoon or bowl, and again tell him that we don't throw our things.  He will usually cry or throw a mini-tantrum, but I try to distract him with a song or game or something, or I just assume he is done and let him down. 

Do you have one of those suction cup bowls?  They work great! 
Sheila
ng

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 19:18:01 pm »
Mine (14.5 months) will sometimes do the same thing, espically if I give him his food in a bowl or on a plate.  I was advised to just put a little at a time on his tray/table and when he is finished what he has give him more.  I haven't tried the ones that stick but I might  :)
When he would throw something off, I would give him a warning that we don't throw food - I would make sure I was right up close to him when I said this.  I would also tell him that if he threw it off again, I would take it.  This happened in the beginning - I would just take it away and he would not get it back.  I also found that when he would push/throw things down, he was done anways and it was a cue that he didn't want anymore.  It still happens occassionaly, but not often.

Offline momofowen

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Summer Lovin' in MA
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 23:21:42 pm »
After being there twice myself... ti is a phase - they are learning cause and effect - they see food and know where it goes, but they test... they try and they figure out things. it is a phase that will pass.  But do not let them do it, stop them, and say we do not throw food, yuck.  they do it again, say - we do not throw food, if you throw again, you will not have a spoon (or plate whatever) to use for this meal.  If they do it again, take the spoon away.  They will ge tthe picture.  :)  Hope this helps a bit.
**You can always go back to work, but you can never go back to having a baby**
Kristin
Owen Tyler 1/14/02
Olivia Paige 7/30/04
- Discovery Toys Sterling Consultant
*We care about ALL children!