Author Topic: I want my happy baby back! Please help.  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
I want my happy baby back! Please help.
« on: April 01, 2006, 13:08:26 pm »
Here are my answers:

How old is your child? 5 1/2 months
What’s his/her daily routine?
Daycare routine:
6:00 E 6 oz
10:00 E 6 0z
10:45 Cereal 2 tbs
2:00 E 6 0z
5:30 E 6 oz
6:15 E Cereal 2 tbs
7:00 bed
10 Df - offer 6 but usually takes only around 4.
Note:  Naps and activity vary at daycare.

What’s nap routine? at daycare, there really isn't one.  she gets approximatley 3 hours of naps at daycare 
How long are naps? anywhere between the dreaded 45 minute nap to 1 1/2 hours
What's bedtime routine? Time? Bottle 5:30 pm, solids at 6:15-6:30, bed at 7:00 - 7:15
Do you bottle or breastfed??Bottle
How much? or how long? 6 oz.  takes her 20 - 30 minutes to finish
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)N/A
How many wakes per night?Last night was bad, about 12!
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? She fusses.  We let her fuss but then this ends up into crying and we go in a give her her pacifier and she goes back out, but last night not for very long.   
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? See above
What have you tried to settle??  Paci.  This usually isn't an issue as she slept through the night before and she would spit it out and sleep fine.
What do you do for A time and how long is it?  At home A time is no more than 2 hours.  Play gym, swing, tummy time.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? No teething yet.  She has recently started solids.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) Rice cereal, 2 tablespoons at her 10:00 and 6:00 feeding.  She doesn't usually eat the 2 tbs at 6:00.
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?  I guess paci may be becoming a prop?  I only let her have it at sleep time.
Do they have a lovie?No.  She is still swaddled.

Okay, here is the situation.  My dd got the flu last Saturday. A week before this I started introducing solids.  Cereal and sweet potatoes was the only thing she had tried before she got sick.  She seemed interested in the solids before she got sick, but now she isn't that interested in them anymore.  She LOVES her bottle but isn't so into the solids, which somewhat concerns me.

She has been eating her bottle fine for the last few days and is back to her normal daily intake (28-30 oz).  Her sleep on the other hand is a mess.  She has been sleeping through the night for us for about 2 months now, with an occasional night waking here and there.  But the last few days has been horrible.  She wakes up 10-12 times at night just fussing and we don't go in right away until she starts to really cry.  I still swaddle and she goes to bed awake and puts herself to sleep.

I have noticed as well that when I used to put her to bed at night, before she got sick, she would be happy and just fall to sleep.  Now even though she puts herself to sleep, she is just really whiny.  Same thing when she gets up in the morning. She used to be really happy and now she just cries.

I don't know what to make out of it.  I don't think it is the solids as she had them a week before she got sick and was fine.  Even when she got sick last Saturday, she slept pretty decent (only a couple of night wakings) saturday and Sunday. It has gone done hill from there.  I haven't fed her at night since she was about 8 weeks old!  I don't believe her waking is due to hunger either as she won't take her solids during the day.

Okay, enough of my rambling. I hope you have all the information you need.  TIA for your help!!!

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: I want my happy baby back! Please help.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 14:37:48 pm »
First thing I would say is to ditch the solids for a couple more weeks and concentrate on making sure she's getting the milk she needs. Its ok to take ab rake especially when you said she isn't interested at the moment, and she's still young :) The solids may be part of the problem. They're likly causing some gas problems plus your LO is only drinking 28oz of formula and probably is hungry at night. Have you tried to feed at all? Your LO needs more milk during the day or at night. She should be getting about 36 oz in a 24 hour period. This may be why she wont settle back to sleep. Its not uncommon for LO's to need a feed at night. Especially if they've been sick or they've reached a growth spurt. If she's waking that often I'd suggest you try a feed and then slowly increas the amount she takes during the day to balence it out.
Also sounds like its time to wean the Paci as it seems to be developing as a prop. Introduce a Lovie and make sure when you start weaning the daycare workers know so that they don't inadvertantly sabatage you. You'll need them on bored to get her weaned.
I understand that daycare can also mess with a routine but I think you need to go and tell your provider that she needs more structure and see what they can do to accomidate you.

Kimberly

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 15:28:44 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  My dd has always taken around 28 ounces and it has never been an issue with her sleep before.  She just won't eat any more than that without me forcing it on her.  She has never been one to eat the "recommended" amount of formula.  This concerned me at one point, but I talked with my ped and others on this board and some babies just don't take that much milk and I was told there was no need for concern.  She has always been somewhat of a small eater. 

She isn't having any gas problems that I know of.  I haven't fed her at night since she was 8 weeks old.  I guess I can try, but I just don't think that hunger is the issue.

Everything was fine until the flu hit.  Is there something I am missing??  I just feel like there is. She has been at daycare for about 2 months now and it has never impacted her ability to sleep at night.  I know the schedule there isn't the greatest with naps, but I know they are doing the best they can.  They just don't have the time I have to spend with her on naps. 

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 17:12:48 pm »
I'd recommend that you do try the feed. You may be surprised. She's at the right age where she may need more due to a growth spurt. My LO also dropped the middle night feed early and at about 5 months suddenly needed it again for a week or so. She wakes the odd night for a feed and I give it too her. I know when she wakes its hunger because of how she cries. It may just be that she needs it temporarily. I suggest you give it a go. 
DO hold off on food until you get her sleeping figured out though, and when you restart try just plain rice or oat cereal to start for a couple weeks then the veggies and fruit. You may find them easier for her tummy and they're great starter foods. She's still quiet young and doesn't need the solids. Her main nutrition should be from the formula so for the time being focus on that.
Also when she had the flu what did you give her if anything?? That may also be a factor.

My LO just got over a flu as well so I understand what your going through.

Just remember.. this too shall pass.
Kimberly

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 17:29:02 pm »
Hi Karita

I will try the feed tonight and see how it goes.

When she had the flu I just gave formula.  Nothing else as I knew that was the most important thing.

I will let you know how it goes.  Thanks again.

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 12:54:53 pm »
Here's an update.

She had her df at 10:00 pm. She woke at 11:10 ??? fussing and wouldn't go back to sleep.  I knew she wasn't hungry at this point because she just ate an hour ago.  So, I am not real sure what to make of this wake ??? ??? ??? ???

She then woke at 3:00 ish and I gave her 4 ounces of formula.  She sucked it all down.  She slept until 6:30 (yea!).  So, I am going to try and up her formula intake during the day and will back off on the solids until she turns 6 months (April 13th).  I was successful with giving her 8 ounces of formula in two of her bottles yesterday (instead of the normal 6). She ate about 7 1/2 ounces of each bottle.  It did take her about 40 minutes to finish though ::) ::)

I will send another update on tonight's sleep. 

Thanks again!

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 10:30:41 am »
Here is Sunday night

Bed at 7:30
df at 10:00 - usually takes 4-6 ounces and wouldn't even drink 2 ounces. Fussed the whole time
woke at 8:45 ???
woke again at 1:20
Woke again at 2:20 - I then fed her and she ate only 2 ounces - she fussed the whole time she was eating.
She didn't get back to sleep until close to 3:20. She was in her bed fussing
I had to wake her at 6:00 to get her ready for daycare

So frustrated at this point.  I don't know what is going on.  Thought it was hunger based off Saturday night and now it doesn't seem to be.  Here is what she ate Sunday morning/afternoon:

7:30 am - 8 ounces
11:30  7 1/2 ounces
3:30 6 ounces
7:00 3 1/2 ounces

I tried getting 8 ounces in her at each feed and she just didn't want it.  She normally take 6 ounce bottles at each feed and eats the whole thing.

Any advice?  She and I could both use a good nights sleep :'(  TIA.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 13:17:52 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that your having so much trouble :(

Not sure where you are but if you are where a time shift happend that will effect things. I'm a little lost on how to deal with that myself and my LO is also waking in a weird parttern. There's a post in the general sleep forum about how to help your LO ajust to the time shift.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what else could help you. I'm going to ask and see if some of the other sleep MODs may be of some help. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.
Kimberly

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 13:48:07 pm »
Hi

I think you've pretty much covered the hunger option but there seems to be something else.  Do you know whether at daycare they try for a regular nap?  Do you know what they do to try and get them to sleep and do you know if she has been left crying for any length of time.  It could well be that she was really happy and good a going to sleep so it was never previously an issue at daycare but that the illness has made her behave differently and she is reacting to how they then reacted to her.
Jenny

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 17:53:49 pm »
Hi all

I am in Michigan and we did jump an hour forward.  I woke her up at 7:30 on Sunday morning (6:30 for her, which is normal) and put her to bed at 7:30 (6:30 for her, which is normal).  Since she was still going to bed at what would be her "normal" times, I didn't think that the time change should affect her, really.

I gave the daycare workers our  EASY plan.  I typed it up for them and asked them to follow the schedule as much as possible.  They follow it to a tea for her eating.  They try and put her down for her naps at the times I tell them to in the schedule, but aren't always successful at getting her to sleep (i have this problem at home as well).  So, she gets about 1 1/2 hours of sleep in the morning (might consist of 2 naps), 1 1/2 in the afternoon (might consist of 2 naps) and then a catnap around 4:00. They swaddle her and put her down without rocking, which I have asked them to and I know they don't let her cry it out.  I told them to let her fuss, but if she cries then get her.  They said "oh no, if she cries we wouldn't just leave her to CIO".  I have also spent a couple of days at the facility with Sydney before she went there just to see how the place was.  I feel confident that they are taking great care of her.  Of course, I can't be 100% positive, but I just don't see it happening.

I just called to see how she was doing and they said that they gave her an 8 oz bottle at her 10:00 feed and she only at 6 ounces.  they tried later to give her the rest and they said 'she just wouldn't take it".  That is exactly how she was yesterday.

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 19:58:17 pm »
Hi Aleisha

What has happened  ???

When did Sydney get over the flu? It could be something as simple as she is still feeling some lingering after effects of the cold. We adults also lose interest in our food for a while after and feel unsettled. Is she maybe too hot or cold.

It is only at bed time she seem unhappy? Calum as you know had a chest infection about the same time as Sydneys flu, I still have to elevate his mattress because is seems to unblock his nasal passages. I swear that there were nights when he was hot, so the heating would go down then the next night he would be cold and that made him unhappy as well - aargh! He was waking every couple of hours either screaming or very restless and wanted cuddles. Have you tried just giving her water when she wakes, she may just be thirsty?

Anyway just some thoughts  :-\

What will they throw at us next  ??? ???
x

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 19:59:56 pm by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 23:10:14 pm »

Hi Lauren

I thought maybe it was some after effects of the flu, but she got her appetite back for a couple of days so I thought she was doing OK.  I thought about the hold and cold as well, but I am very conscious of dressing her appropriately, so I don't think it is that either.

Yes, only at bedtime.  She is doing the same thing that Calum did....waking every couple of hours screaming and she just can't get comfortable.  I haven't tried water as up until now I thought it was hunger related.  Maybe I will try that tonight.

I did notice when I picked her up from daycare today she was getting a bit of a cough.  Maybe her waking is due to some new sickness making its way ??? ??? ???.  I tell you what, her immune system is going to be so tough once she starts school with as sick as she has been from daycare :o :o :o :o

How is Calum feeling?  How about your first day back to work.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the tips.  I will send ANOTHER update.

Stacy - curious about one thing.  Why would I feed her at 2 and 4 when she should be eating 4 hours apart?  I only feed her last feed at 3.5 hours, the rest are 4.  She is just so hungry when she gets home.   Thanks again.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 00:01:25 am »
There is one factor I can  pinpoint... she may be a bit young, but my ds#1 was an "early starter"... she is missing you cos she is in daycare & well she wakes to "spend more time with you"
After I had ruled out EVERYTHING else, this was the only conclusion I could come to... 2 years later having read heaps more & talked to many more mothers... I FIRMLY believe it is a "normal" occurance for many babies put in daycare... normally it starts around the 7-8month mark, but I know in cases it seems to have been much earlier.
how I dealt with it... started spending as much as possible awake time doing things with ds#1 & also staying in his bedroom until he fell asleep. Took a few months but things eventually got better.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 00:31:27 am »
Hi there

I COMPLETELY agree with Katet - I returned to work when my DS was 3 months old - and when he reached the 6 month mark he did start night wakings.  I believe it wasn't immediate because he was too young at the beginning to understand what was happening - but eventually he became alert enough and the "early separation anxiety" started.

Perhaps you can ask the day care centre to keep a precise log of your DD's day - what time she naps, for how long, what they do to put her to sleep etc - so you can get a better idea of what is happening while she is there.

Remember that your DD is becoming more alert and it's not surprising that bedtime is changing for you - the increased fussing is normal if your DD is concerned about you leaving.  As Kate said, I stay in the room with my DS until he falls asleep (I still do that now) because he NEEDS that extra time with me.  And I changed the way I look at the night wakings - he is waking to fill his "Mummy Tank" because he misses me so much during the day and NEEDS to spend extra time with me.  Boy that makes dealing with those night wakings so much easier.

Good luck!
Jo

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 00:13:50 am »
Just wanted to let everyone know that the night wakings have stopped.  I really didn't do anything different, she just decided to start sleeping again. ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again to everyone.  I will probably be back here once dd starts teething :o :o

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 01:29:46 am »
aww congrats to you and sydney!!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005