Author Topic: Throwing food because he wants more! Speech  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Mami

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Throwing food because he wants more! Speech
« on: April 02, 2006, 02:56:24 am »
Hi.  I posted earlier about Luke having some speech delay due to fluid in his ears.  One problem that has come up lately is throwing of food out of frustration because there is no more of what he wants or I don't think he should have more.  Luke is a big boy, he weighs 36lbs at 18 mos.  It's not that I control what he eats, but if he wants more he has had a significant amount he gets mad and starts throwing food or hitting.  For example, today we had rice, chicken and plaintains (which are sweet).  He ate some plantains, but wanted more even though he didn't eat hardly any rice or chicken.  Since he had been sick, I indulged him until they were finished.  When I told him they were "all gone", he got mad.  I offered more rice and chicken, but he didnt want any and kept pointing at the empty plate signing "more".  Well, then he started throwing the rice and chicken.  I know he was still hungry when I took him down, but I didn't know what else to do.  This lead to about 20 min of screaming and crying.  Any suggestions?.....other than making more plantains!  ;D  He does this with ice cream, too!  I

Offline Poppy & Lily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
  • UK
Re: Throwing food because he wants more! Speech
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 12:29:46 pm »
Hi,

I don't have any experience of this but have you tried maybe distracting him when he does that??  sorry i don't have any suggestions hopefully someone else can offer help! :)
Poppy-lilys mum

http://b1.lilypie.com/rkqp0/.png[/img][/url]

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 12:41:40 pm »
Hi

I don't know if it will help you but I would suggest that you calmly get down to his eye level and I usually put a hand on each of DS's arms to stop the throwing and to just calm the situation.  I look him in the eye and explain that I understand what he wants but there is no more/he can't have any more of whatever and if he wants to continue to throw a wobbly that's fine but there is no more whatever.  Although your DS has speech delay I expect he can understand exactly what you are saying and more importantly I think he'll understand the tone of voice and the calmness that you state the fact that there is no more.  I find it helps me that I've said coherently what I'm trying to say.
Jenny

Offline Mami

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 03:37:00 am »
great suggestions...thanks!