Author Topic: One nap at 13 months??  (Read 2662 times)

Offline kal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 03, 2006, 00:55:09 am »
I could really use some advice because I'm at a crossroads with what to do here about napping.

DS is 13 months and up till now woke at 630a on the dot, napped at 930a for about 1 hr and then again at 230p for maybe 1 1/2-2 hrs and then bed at 7pm somtimes 630p if he does not have a good afternoon nap.
I feel he still needs two naps a day but I don't know if maybe I'm wrong and should just give in and move to one nap.

For the last week I've been having a real hard time, sometimes he wants to nap in the morning from 930a-1130a but then he fights his afternoon nap or just won't go down at all.

Today for his morning nap I woke him after 1 hr 15m (around 1115a) and then put him down for an afternoon nap at 2pm and he just played up there for an hour and then finally gave in and went to sleep!
He's also started sleeping till 7 or 730a some mornings which really makes it hard to keep two naps and still get him to bed around 7 or 730p.
So any suggestions??

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 14:31:34 pm »
It does sound like your lo is getting ready to transition to one nap.  I'll let the other ladies give you advice in this regard--my lo just dropped the pm nap so we had no choice but to do the transition cold turkey.

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: One nap at 13 months??
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 15:23:46 pm »
It sounds to me like your ds is moving to the 1 nap, as you guessed. It's up to you how you go about it. My dd did the same thing around 13 months. Some days I could get the 2 naps, some days just one regular morning nap and no afternoon nap, and some days a 3 hour morning nap! But it was a little tricky because she was dropping the afternoon nap, so timing things was a bit difficult. We went back and forth for about a month between one and 2 naps, and then just went cold turkey to 1 nap around 14 months. It took about 2 weeks to iron out the night sleep (she started waking at night with the change) but it wasn't too bad. We just gradually moved the morning nap back until it was at about 11 or 11:30 rather than 9. It also took a little while for the nap to get longer again. For a few weeks it was exactly 1.5 hours, which was the equivalent of only half of her normal time. But fairly quickly it stretched to 2-3 hours which obviously was fantastic and much preferable to 2 spotty naps!
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 15:39:46 pm »
I'm going through somewhat the same thing and mine is 14 months old.  We have been trying to get him to one nap for 2 weeks now and it is starting to work out.  I must say that it was not easy becuase some days there was just no making it to 11:30 and then the 2 naps were short and terrible but I think it just takes some lo's time to get there. 
I would start trying to push the naps.  I try to get in a early lunch at 11:00-11:30 and then nap almost right after and if he doesn't want lunch, I will offer him a harty snack with some milk and that seems to help him sleep better.  We are still back and forth 2 naps somedays and one most others but I think it will get better with time.
It sounds like your lo is ready to start the transition.

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: One nap at 13 months??
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 17:41:30 pm »
ditto to the other posters, you've gotten great advice so far!

Fighting the afternoon nap is a clear sign that they're asking for just one nap. Tricky part is to find out HOW and WHEN would they like it LOL, but we can work it out. I'd say to go with baby steps for nap # 1, pushing it 15 mins away each day if you find it still goes smoothly and he still goes down for it and stays put. Then the second gap between that nap and bedtime won't be so tight in case he does not take the second nap and in case he does take the second nap, you can also wake him from it at the time that you consider is ok for him to be up and hang tillb ed time. Give it a 3 day go for each 15 mins increment of the nap. That can make up for a smooth transition. When he starts having short naps or waking at night, you might want to stop and make a recollection of the actions taken and the results gotten.

It is a difficult transition for some but beleive me, some others (a few tough, but there is hope!) find it smooth. it is just about trial and error and stopping when you find a dead end.

Good luck and keep us posted on your improvements and setbacks (crossing fingers for you to find none of this)
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 17:56:55 pm »
It's so funny to hear this news of waking a kid up.  I have never ever had to do that as mine will not sleep for longer than 45 min. without waking from his nap and me having to help him back to sleep.  I would almost love to have to wake him!