Author Topic: How do I cut down the number of bottles  (Read 965 times)

Offline Jamom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How do I cut down the number of bottles
« on: April 03, 2006, 02:38:13 am »
I hope this is the right board to post this on.  I'm wondering how I cut down the number of bottles? DS is 11 months old and until 3 days ago was taking 4 bottles a day, each 6-8 oz, as well as 3 solid meals.  In the last few days, we've been trying to get rid of the lunch-time bottle and have him take his milk from a sippy at lunch instead.  He'll drink from the sippy but will only take a couple of ounces at most from the sippy. (We introduced a sippy at 6 mo. but he's never taken a lot of liquid from it).  So, he's been very hungry in the afternoon.  Here's our current routine:

7 -- wake/6 oz. bottle
8/8:30 -- solids -- cereal; fruit (2-4 oz)
10 -- nap
11/11:30 -- solids (veggies and fruits); 2 ounces of milk from sippy -- he's recently upped this intake of solids to about 6-8 oz since we've taken out the bottle [He used to take 4-6 oz. of milk from a bottle until 3 days ago when we tried cutting this bottle out and opting for the sippy instead).
1:30/2:00 -- nap
3:30 -- 6 oz.
5:30/6:00 -- dnner (fruits and veggies -- 6-8 oz)
7:30 -- 8 oz. bottle before bed

I guess I'm trying to figure out when his need for milk will decrease and he'll have more solids instead.  He seems to be taking a lot of both solids and milk right now.  I don't know how to get him to take more from the sippy -- I would assume that's what needs to happen before he'll drop the bottles?  We offer the sippy with every meal and some times in between llunch and his afternoon nap.   Any other ideas? Let me know your thoughts.  Thanks.

Thanks.
Erin

Mom to Jacob 05/02/05 and Sophia 8/12/07

Offline kirsty_167

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • My little munchkin!!
Re: How do I cut down the number of bottles
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 07:56:14 am »
HI...i am looking at trying to drop the luchtime bottle soon too.My son wont drink from a sippy at all so im having a hard time.However the advice i was given last week in regards to dropping the lunchtime one was to bring forward his 3.30 bottle to say 2.30/3pm.I was told that once i drop the bottle my son may then drink more or some from the sippy cup.It was also suggested that i could give him yoghurt at lunch as this was creamy like formula.

Not sure if this helps just thoguht id share....

Kirsty

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: How do I cut down the number of bottles
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 23:51:34 pm »
Totally agree with Kirsty Bring that 3.30pm bottle forward replace it with a snack and just offer milk in a cup with lunch so you could do this:

7 -- wake/6 oz. bottle
8/8:30 -- solids -- cereal; fruit (2-4 oz)
10 -- nap
11:30 -- solids (veggies and fruits); 2 ounces of milk from sippy
1:30 -- 6 oz.
2:00 -- nap
3:30 -- Give a snack here instead with some water in a cup.
5:30/6:00 -- dnner (fruits and veggies -- 6-8 oz)
7:30 -- 8 oz. bottle before bed

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07