Author Topic: Night waking after 1 year  (Read 1545 times)

Offline asjoo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 03, 2006, 07:49:24 am »
My one year old is waking at least once through the night.  I am still breastfeeding once in the morning but now I find myself breastfeeding when he wakes at night as well.  Nothing else seems to comfort him (not even his soother). 

Over the last few months he has been sick, shots and teething.  It has not been an easy time for him but I am concerned this will turn into a habit - or it may already have.  During the day his drinks milk from a sippy cup.  I tried to introduce the bottle thinking it would be easier to wean him totally from the breast but he is not interested. 

Any suggestions? 

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 13:51:01 pm »
I know with mine the 12 month mark was a big changing point and many things happened for him at that marker as well.  Mine had a ear infection, he was sick, learned how to walk, stuffy nose, shots.....on and on.  He did start waking through the night again and really early in the mornings.  I did want to comfort him because when he is sick I thought it was important for him to know I would be there.  The only thing that comforted mine was a bottle (he is bottle fed) and being held for a few minutes.  We did always put him back into his own bed after the bottle and short cuddle (5 min.) even if he cried for a few min. and I must say that once he got better he stopped waking in the night, the early mornings were a whole different story though (hoping the time change fixed that). 
So, I guess I wouldn't worry too much that he will get used to it.  If he is sick and going through this change, hopefully it will be short lived.  When we get used to them sleeping through it is so nice though.  I would continue to comfort him and then try gradually cutting it out when he is better.
Hope that helps  :)

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Night waking after 1 year
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 17:02:40 pm »
I'd say start as you mean to go on. If your ok with offering your breast for each night waking, then it's ok to do that.

Sometimes teething pain can be soothed with the chewing, hence the lo's being comforted apparently "Only" with the breast/bottle. But in some cases it backfires when the teething pain gets worse cause babies won't be comforted with the chewing anymore but are used to getting the bottle so the nightwakings become harder to deal with and nothing seems to stop them.

If your lo is getting enough calories during the day and does not seem hungry when waking, i'd say he might be well without the breast but it also might mean more hard work to deal with the wakings.

At 12 months lo start walking and that makes up for a whole new dinamics even at the bed. They would move and stand even in their sleep and then wake and freak"how did i get here?" reassuring him, and putting him down again as much as needed sometimes help them to go back, even if it means 1-2 hours of work, it will pay off in the end.

Also making sure he's not in pain by trying some preventive pain aid at bedtime like Tylenol or Motrin. If you notice a difference that night, then you'll find out he's in pain, then we can work on some plan for that.

We're here for you, pm if you have questions or need support
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline MyBella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 02:17:23 am »
I don't have a solution for you except to let you know you're not alone.  It seems that the minute lo turned 1 her nighttimes changed.  She went from 12-13 hrs a night to 11, and with a recent bout with rotavirus, molars, and changes in our household she's now waking up twice a night, one around 9-10pm and next around 3am.  This morning she awoke and started crying at 3:30am, I discovered that her diaper had leaked so the poor thing was really uncomfortable but even after I changed her she just wouldn't calm down.  She didn't want to be held, and she didn't want to be put down.  She was thrashing about and I could not even recognize my dd.  I just didn't know what to do.  She would cry hard for a little while, quiet down, 3-4 minutes later she would cry really hard again, and so on.  It's so frustrating not to be able to comfort my own child, I just don't know what she wants and with 10 hr days at work, I'm exhausted!  I'm just hoping it's a stage, and a short one at that.
Beril
(Mom to Isabella Bilgi born on 2/24/2005 - Textbook/Spirited)

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 15:24:12 pm »
I must add to the last post that if my guy wakes up in the night and he has leaked through he does not want to be held or go back down either.  He gets very upset after I change him and during the change for that matter and he will struggle to get out of my arms.  I try changing him right before bed to avoid the leaking and I have even changed him before I go to bed when he is sleeping but I'm so afraid that it will wake him up.  I pray he doesn't leak through in the night but some nights it's inevitable.  I have thought about getting the plastic short things to go over the diaper at night.  Has anyone tried those.  We have tried all kinds of diapers at night and sometimes just nothing will hold him.  I also don't want to take away his drink before bed becuase he is so used to it and he goes down so easy at night.  Any ideas?

Offline MyBella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 00:43:54 am »
Alyssa, I've tried a few things that have helped in the leaking department.  First I switched to the Easy Ups for night while I'm still using regular diapers during the day.  This at least eliminates the problem of the diapers coming loose while she's changing positions all night long.  Since I switched that the number of leakages actually went down.  And the Easy Ups I use are actually a little bit big for her, which I think helps hold more liquid.  Also, I reduced the amount of the bottle from 8 oz to 6 oz.  And on the nights when I don't feel like she got enough solids, I'll just add a couple tbspns of oatmeal to the bottle to make it a little hardier.  Hope this helps!
Beril
(Mom to Isabella Bilgi born on 2/24/2005 - Textbook/Spirited)