Author Topic: Still no sleep! Am I on the right track??  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Lunasmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Chelito - Lunasmum
Still no sleep! Am I on the right track??
« on: April 03, 2006, 14:16:57 pm »
Hello everyone!I didn't want to start like this but here it goes I'm absolutely exhausted!!!!!!!! :'(
This is the 5th day I'm doing the mattress method! but only last night my lo woke up at 4am crying that she wanted to come to our bed. Her dad was sleeping beside her in the mattress so she was calling out my name. We exchanged places but still what she wanted was to go to our bed! finally I got her back in her bed but she kept on trying to come in with me on the mattress.There was no eye contact or anything, I told her clearly it was bed time & pretended to be asleep, it took me 1 & a half hour until she finally slept!! Am I doing something wrong!! I thought that this was going to get easier and yet its going worse!!I Is this because of the weekend and the extra time we spend with her as opposed to nursery weekdays? or that we sleep with her during naps at the weekend? I haven't even started to move the mattress yet!!I seriously don't know if I'm on the right track anymore! + I've done the test over the weekend and I can know confirm that I am around 7 weeks pregnant!!! The only thing that I can think of is SLEEP and wether I will achieve this before I'm too big to sleep on the mattress!! Please advise I desperately need some hope!!! ???

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: Still no sleep! Am I on the right track??
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 14:49:06 pm »
It sounds like you are doing everything right! And congratulations for sticking with at 4 am especially with being preganat.  This "regression" is apparently really common with any sleep training technique--there's an actual term for it but I forget what it is--it's basically when they decide to test things out to see if you really mean to institute the new regime or whether they can get you to go back to the old way of doing things.  It can happen anywhere from 3 to 7 days after you start the new way of doing things.  So you did absolutely the right thing by sticking to it. 

The only comment I have is on the timing of your movement out of the room eventually.  I do recall reading somewhere that it is actually worse for them the longer you take to get to your desired point because they get use to one thing ie. you sleeping on the mattress next to them, and then you change it again, moving the mattress further awayand they get used to that, and again, out of the room.  I think that it is also related to age ie the older they are the quicker you need to do things.  I may be way off on this--I only have a vague recollection about reading about this.  I'm sure one of the other ladies who has done this technique can comment on that.

I'm usre you will find that tonight goes much smoother.  Good luck!

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 16:37:09 pm »
Hi Luna's mom I'm so sorry to hear that it is taking long to fix the sleeping issues in your household. Though it seems like you're doing an EXCELLENT job there and i remember you saying the other week that you saw some (even a slight one) improvement. Yes, it gets worse before it gets better. I haven't read it anywhere but lived it myself LOL and also in some other kiddos around here that have experienced some off times in their sleep.

Remember that you need to be as consistent with the new routines just as you were with the previous ones. It lasted some time when Luna was going to your bed, it was cozy and warm there and of course, she still wants it. So you need to stick with the new methods if you want them to work. I'd say to give it another week trial and just in case things keep going downhill we can have a wider record and more experience on Luna's breaks so we can come up with a modified version.

I remember those times being particulary though and worrying that i'd never get to sleep in my bed again and thinking about the divorce to come as a result of that. None of that happened, my grandma has a saying that says: "It never gets darker than 5 mins before sunshine": that means your sunshine is about to come, it is just taking its own time.

Congratulations on your new baby. Keep up the good work, some setbacks are to be expected but if you keep consistant as you've done, you'll see results much sooner. I'd say the setbacks are a good proof that the method is working and she's moving through it. The weekend might have had something to do cause she noticed a change in her routine and thought it was a chance to break it. This kiddos are smarter than us ;D but don't you worry, if you have special rituals for weekends (like taking anps with her, etc) you don't need to change them. You must start as you mean to go on, and that means, keeping things as you want them to stay. Luna will see through that and will get to understand that weekends are fun but that does not mean mommy's letting me into her bed. Nice try Luna but mommy is the adult here ;)...

As for the "time" recquired for each method and how long it takes, i guess the exact timings are as much as kids submitted to methods. That is, each baby is different with a different temperament, environment and parents. That combo makes up for a personalized treatment for each one. The important thing here is that you decided a method, sticked to it, observed some progress within a 5 day trial and then experienced a setback. All's good here and it proofs you're on the right track. When it will be time to start moving your mattress closer to the door? you'll know it. And i promise, it will be before you think it is.

COngrats again on the new baby, here's to a healthy waiting and moreover, a rested one! you're doing great, trust your self!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Lunasmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Chelito - Lunasmum
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 19:11:30 pm »
Wow I'm soooo glad that you have replied!!!! :)I'm sitting in front of my computer right now in tears!!I think these old hormones are playing tricks on me again! You can't believe how relieved I am to know that there is someone there that really knows what I'm going through! Thank you very very much for the support, you have given me the confidence to carry on, I was so tempted to let Luna in my bed last night!!!
Thank you for your congratulations on the new one! I'm also happy, just this minute I'm a little too worried about Luna, but I'm sure it will pass!
I wish I could give you guys a big big hug! You have made my day! Thanks Florencia for your grandmothers saying I'll definitely bare that one in mind!
Thank you again and I'll keep you posted :-*

Offline Florencia

• Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 19:59:22 pm »
Hey now i'm the one in tears here :-*... weepy ladies we are...
Nothing to thank for, that's why we're here, some day you'll be rested and happy again and will be willing to share what you learned with other ladies, that's how it works.

I had to add another quick thing. It is also helpful to keep a sleep journal of this days to evaluate if there's progress and to stablish a pattern with Luna's wakings. I did it and some nights i thought were AWFUL with HORRID wakings when i looked at the journal  i could see they were lasting more than i felt they were adn i could see a progress and that also helped me going through the process with more confidence.

here's to a sleepy night!

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 20:19:08 pm »
Ditto!  and I didn't mean to imply by my comments that you were doing anything"wrong"  by spending the 5 days on the mattress next to Luna--just that if you felt overwhelmed at the thought of this taking a long time --especially now that you're pregnant--don't feel bad if you are ready to start the "moving out" process since it may be something that she can handle as well. you know your child and you are the best judge of when you are both ready . when I "trained"  my older dd to let me leave the room before she was asleep (i think she was about 14 months!)  I think that I stood outside her door for a month but she was and is still a child of amazing persistence! ::)  So hang in there--it is definitely tough going right now but you and dh will get through it. :)   

Offline Lunasmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Chelito - Lunasmum
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 08:47:31 am »
:) You won't believe this: I've actually slept the whole night!!!! She moved a couple of times, saw the mattress I went straight back to sleep! You were right, finally it seems to be working! Tonight I'm confident enough to start to move the mattress a little!
The journal is a great idea, this way I won't forget the experience and you're right I hope I can help other mums with this problem in the same way that you have helped me. ;)
Thank you very very much for your advise

Offline Florencia

• Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 16:49:41 pm »
YAY! those are GREAT NEWS, keep us posted, i'm sure you'll be back in your bed in no time! congrats to Luna also!