Author Topic: arching back???  (Read 1265 times)

Offline chicken

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« on: April 04, 2006, 01:47:18 am »
Not really sure where to put this.  I'm not use to bottle feeding a newborn, I had BF my DD, and it has been years since I read the BW book...

So, here's my question.  After feeding what seems to be a big bottle for his age (3 1/2 oz.), my 1 week old will occasionally arch his back.  I know this is a sign of something, i just forgot what tracy says this means.  Anyone know?  He doesn't seem to has gas, but gets a little fussy and won't settle in, he just arches and can't get comfortable.  Just wondering what it is.  Too much formula?  Too little formula?  He is such an easy going baby and I'd like to keep him nice and happy that way.

TIA
Ella  6/22/02
Leo  3/27/06

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
Re: arching back???
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 02:10:37 am »
could be a sign of reflux...don't know what else it could be though as when my lo did it -- it was reflux.  is he crying when or after feedings? maybe u want to check out the reflux board?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline preston,parker&peytonsmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 02:23:06 am »
Hey Cara-I was going to say the same thing as prev. poster.  Parker arched his back during/after feeding and he was a refluxer.  Now,Preston too is a refluxer but has yet to arch his back . . . I'm thinking Tracy also says arching back is just a sign of being full but I loaned my book to a friend and haven't gotten it back yet so I'm not sure about that.  If you have any questions about reflux, feel free to pm me . . . been there, am there again!
Kelly
     &
my 3 darlings-
Peyton (7-20-01), Parker (7-18-03) and Preston (3-22-06)

Offline emsandmegan

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 14:13:29 pm »
Is he fussy when you lie him down too? This and arching back are classic reflux symptoms. You can get some antacid (losec, zantac etc) medicine from the Dr to relieve the discomfort. Try elevating his cot too. He doesn't have to be sicking up lots for it to be reflux either. Hope you figure it out and he is happier soon.

Offline jayne

• Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 14:19:25 pm »
okay arching back according to bw is hunger :-\hmmmm 

could he just be full and letting you know he doesnt want anymore bottle??
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004

s_olano00

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 15:03:57 pm »
If he doesn't cry, I would say what Jayne said - hunger

If he cries, then I would check for gas or colic.

My Mom once told me that she always thought that she would get all the gas out of us, and then, an aunt of her would come in, pat us, and get the noisiest burps out of us....

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 23:33:46 pm »
All babies are born with an immature digestive system and most some degree of "reflux." Nothing to necessarily worry about but I would suspect he's just trying to work down that nice yummy milk!  ;D

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 13:20:57 pm »
My reply will seem contrary to everyone elses, but thought I'd add my two cents anyway.  I've noticed my dd starting to arch her back towards the tail end of the bottle, making me think she's actually full!!!  Go figure :D  If i then feed her past that, she'll end up spitting up lots, and if I hold off, she's usually fine.