Author Topic: LO Only Listens to Babysitter  (Read 1019 times)

Offline mbasilio

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 11, 2006, 21:35:24 pm »
My DD will stay still when the babysitter asks her to but she never does that for me or my husband.  When we tell her to stay still or not to do something, she'll ignore us.  I've asked the babysitter how she does it and she said to just take speak to her gently but firnly and explain why she isnt allowed to do it.  I tried it but it didnt work!  What should I do? 

And is it ok for me to have to stay outside the church 90% of the time because my LO makes too much noise inside?  Am I supposed to be helping her keep quiet in any way?  I don't know what to do!  The other babies seem to be able to at least stay in there for more than half the time as they are quieter.

Offline ethansmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: LO Only Listens to Babysitter
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 23:07:32 pm »
Don't you just love how they are angels for everyone else except you? ::) Really, your not the only one. Ethan's great grandparents think he's an angel who can do no wrong - five minutes through my door and he's usually screaming at me cause I've said no! I can't remember if I read it in Tracy's books or somewhere else but I recall something saying that because they feel comfortable and secure with you, they feel safer letting out all their emotions etc, (ie temper, ignoring you) in your presence rather than someone elses. Which sounds nice and reasonable when you think about it but its a pain in the backside when you're trying to get them to do anything!
I would just keep being consistent when telling her not to do something. Keep using the gentle but firm tone of voice and she will eventually get it.

I don't really have any advice for the church problem, we aren't churchgoers ourselves. Other than a small quiet toy or book to distract her I can't think of anything. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

HTH
Deanna