Author Topic: change routine or not?  (Read 2220 times)

Offline mrswalsh

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • First time mum to Billy
change routine or not?
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:43:13 am »
My DS is really struggling with the 4 hour EASY.  He wakes every morning at 6.20am and I had been getting him up at 7am and feeding him, getting him dressed and putting him back at around 8.40am.  Obviously this doesn't fit in with the 4 hour easy as he is only sleeping for around 45mins as he is overtired.  He is then awake around 9.30ish and has his bottle at 11am and by 11.30 he is getting really tired.  We have just started weaning so this is also causing me no end of trouble as I am trying to give him his lunch at 12pm.

This morning I got him up at 6.50 and fed straightaway, washed and dressed and put him down at 8am.  He slept for 1.25 hours!!!  We are now approaching 11am bottle and he is obviously getting really tired.  I shall now get to the point, do you think it would be worth getting him up at 6.20 doing his feed and putting him back at 8am before he is overtired, then doing the next bottle at 10ish nap at 12 and perhaps lunch when he wakes from his feed?  Overall question is should I alter his timings to adapt to 4 hour easy but from 6am instead of 7?

Advice anyone please

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: change routine or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 09:52:35 am »
How old is your little one?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline mrswalsh

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 10:19:36 am »
18 weeks

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 12:45:00 pm »
I would switch to a 31/2 hr EASY.

My DD was on a 31/2 EASY till she was 6 months old, and could stay awake more.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 15:32:21 pm »
I agree with Corrina in trying 3.5 hr feeding routine, and I also agree that you should put him down for his first nap earlier.  With a 45 min nap, it can signal overtiredness, and putting him down 1-1.5 hrs after waking can usually help get him to nap longer and feel more refreshed.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline mrswalsh

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 07:40:24 am »
thanks for the advice, I only read it this am!  for the past couple of days DS has been waking at 5.45am OMG!  This is when my DH gets up so I am thinking he is getting disturbed.  As for the advice do you think getting him up and feeding him earlier will help?  I don't know if he is just an early bird??  If I put him on 3 1/2 hour easy this would mean his last bottle would be at 5.30pm, is that correct, also he doesn't go to bed until 7pm?

Seeing as DS can't transition all sleeps yesterday he went down  from 8 - 9.30am had his afternoon nap at 12.10pm until 1.00pm and slept again at 2.20 until 3pm, had a final catnap at 4.30 - 5pm and was a little angel all day seeing as he had slept so well but not longer the amount of time allowable during the day.  Would this be what is waking him early or is he just an early bird.  I really need some help with this, I am getting so confused that naps seem to be consuming my day and trying to fit in solid feeds is becoming a real pain.  please help some more  :'(

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 08:24:54 am »
He is overtired.

First of all I will post my routine when my DD 5 months so you can get a good idea

7am Feed
9am Sleep for 1hr 30mins (awake for 2hrs)
10.30am Feed
11am Solids
12.10pm Sleep 1hr 50mins (awake for 1hr 40mins)
2pm Feed
3.30pm Sleep 1hr 30mins (Awake for 1hr 30mins)
5pm Feed
6pm Bath
6.40pm Feed (bedtime bottle)
7pm Sleep
10pm DF
Sleep till morning.

My DD was a good sleeper.

Waking early means he is overtired.

Did you put him back to sleep at 5.45am?

Also when he was up at 5.45am was he awake till 8am?

From 9.30am till 12.10pm that is a long while for him to be awake that long.

Try putting him to bed 1hr 30 -1hr 45mins from wake up to get him back on track.

As for the last bottle at 5.30pm.  Top him up just before he goes to bed as probably he is waking due to overtiredness and hunger.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline mrswalsh

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 09:32:59 am »
HI

Thanks for the help, I will try to implement but I don't know how today as he is completely off track.

Yes he was awake from 5.45 until 8am this am.  He doesn't cry when he wakes, he plays happily in his cot, we leave him hoping he will go back to sleep.  More often than not when I intervene and try and get him back off to sleep it makes him worse and gets angry.  At the moment I obviously can't alter the time he wakes up until 3 1/2 hour easy is implemented and he may stay alseep longer, so what shall I do if he wakes at 5.45 or 6??

Also he is having solids for lunch, enjoying this very much and starting solids for Breakfast.  Because of his awkward timings my current timings are as follows.

wake and in cot at around 5.45 or 6
Feed solid and bottle at 6.50 or 7am
I get dressed while his food digests then get him dressed
Sleep at 8am anywhere between 1 hour and 1.25 hours
9 or 9.25am wake
10.45 bottle
11.45 solids
12.10 sleep
1pm wake
2.20pm sleep
3pm wake and bottle
4.30pm catnap
5.50pm bath
6.30pm bottle
7pm bed (no problems with this one, goes to sleep a treat)!

I feel completely miserable as he has gone way off track, I can't shh pat to sleep as back is so bad now so am having to try and adjust to his wakings and when he wants to go back to sleep otherwise we have meltdown and he is very unhappy.  I am aware this is a sleep issue I just don't know how to put it right.  Something inside is telling me to adjust to his timings I.E if he wakes at 6am feed him then and do 4 hour easy within these times.  I feel so distressed, I can't physically make him sleep if he doesn't want to or make him wake up in the morning the time I want him to.

Please help some more!  Based on the above how would the 3 1/2 easy apply.  Sorry to be a pain and seem like an idiot.  Before DS I was a very structured, organised PA who was very bossy and in control.  Now I can't seem to control anything and am finding it really hard to adapt. :'(

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 13:02:45 pm »
((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))) to you, you are not an idiot you are a first time mum and you want some guidance, and thats what we are here for.

So he is nearly 5 months, right.

If he wakes at 5.45am just let him play in the cot, but get him up at 6.15am and feed.  Then put him to bed at 8am as you are getting a good nap out of him then.

Say he has 1.25 hrs nap and he then wakes up at 9.25am.  Feed him at 9.45am, solids at 10.30am and then put him down for a nap about 11.15am see how it goes from there.

I know this isn't a 4hr EASY but we are trying to make his naps longer, as he is overtired.  Once you have got the overtiredness sorted out, he will eventually put himself back on a 4hr EASY. 

I know it will be hard, but motherhood tests our brain for tweaking his routine. 

When you have an overtired baby, learn to read his cues of when he is tired.

You don't have to follow a strict 31/2 or 4hr EASY, just follow his cues.  EASY is just a guideline not a schedule.

Has he learnt to roll over yet?  If not, just to make it easier on your back, while you are getting back on track,  take the crib rail off, put a pillow by him and then you can sssshhh/pat without bending over the crib. 

How long has it been since you introduce solids?  As this can throw babies off track, till their stomachs can cope with solid food a bit better.

Any more questions just ask.
Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline mrswalsh

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 17:24:49 pm »
couple more questions for clarification.

If I am giving him solids at 10.30 is this am breakfast?  The next bottle would be 1.30, so would I give solids around 2 - 2.30ish?

Thanks for all your help and support.

Kelly xxx

Offline mrswalsh

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 09:43:25 am »
Last night was a complete mess! He woke up and was playing and cooing in his cot from 1.40am to 3ish!  He stirred around 5.45  but I wasn't sure if he was awake or not as he wasn't making lots of noise just sounded restless.  Anyhow, finally went in at 6.20 he looked asleep but was restless, then he made a noise and woke up so got him up and fed him.  I put him back to bed at 8am, he only slept until 8.50 so (bad on my part I know) I took him into my room and laid on my bed with him and shh patted him back to sleep and he slept until 10am at which point we got up and had a bottle so this is the start of 3 1/2 hour easy.

I intend to watch his cues but put him back down at around 11.30 - 11.45 and see what happens. My only concern is  the next bottle will be 1.30pm and I will try and give solids around 2.15 - 2.30 and the final bottle should be at 5pm.  If this is the case, when should I do the catnap?????  Or seeing as he has had solids at 2.30 could I still give the final bottle at around 6.15 before bed.  I really need some urgent advice on this as the clock is ticking and I am getting very stressed.

Sorry in advance and thanks

Offline mrswalsh

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 11:19:37 am »
I have re-read your routine, my DS wouldn't have a catnap as he would behaving three naps a day on 3 1/2 hour easy, is that correct?

Had to purchase a camera monitor as DS can now roll over but can't roll back and is constantly on the move around his cot, so when he is fussing its hard to determine whether to rush in or not, I don't want to be unhelpful for his self soothing but I am also afraid he is laying face down in the cot, as was yesterday morning!

Also, put him down at 11.30 for his next nap, think it was too soon as he went mad in the cot and wouldn't stop wriggling around for ages, had to shhhh him and stroke his head for him to calm down.  It was the only way to make sure he would stay still and not roll over.

This mother stuff is really hard work, wish someone had told me.

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 20:25:52 pm »
I wouldn't really worry so much about the timing of solids right now.  His bottle is far more important, and solids are just for practice right now.  You could even throw those out the window for another month if it's causing too much stress for you at the moment.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 19:14:36 pm »
Sorry I haven't replied sooner, busy days at work.

You will want to be giving 3 naps, or 4 if he is tired.

Don't rush in if he is fussing, go in if he starts crying and I need you mummy cry.

Practise rolling with him during awake times, so he knows how to roll back.  As soon as they start to roll, there is nothing you can do about it, apart from help him to roll back.

Heather is right, solids are not important at the moment, they are just practice.  Bottle is more important.  Fit in when you think he should have it.

Quote (selected)
think it was too soon as he went mad in the cot

What mad as he didn't want to go to bed?

What type of baby do you have?

If you haven't got the BW books, there is a quiz you can do, I will include the link

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52283.0

It is hard work, but once you have your DS sorted out and back on track it will be worth the hard work.

Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline mrswalsh

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 11:33:54 am »
My DS is mostly textbook with a bit of Touchy mixed in with it.

Apparently after discussions with my mother, I was exactly the same as a baby.  I didn't sleep all day long!!!

We have tried the 3 1/2 hour easy but he had started taking less from his bottles as he wasn't as hungry as he would be on 4 hour easy.  So we are just sort of going between the two as to what suits DS.  I don't want to start pu/pd or shhhh pat anymore as I know with my back I can't be consistent with it and it may confuse him if I do it sometimes and not others.  What we have concluded as present is to put him down in his cot, see how long he has and take it from there.  If he sleeps well great, if not then perhaps we go out in the car for a while or a walk in the pram or even we have a cuddle and he will sleep further on me.  I don't mind this as he still goes down so well of an evening and generally will go to sleep in the cot for his naps.  If he starts to refuse the cot altogether then we may have to rethink our strategy.  My main concern at the moment is to make sure he has some sleep during the day and that he is happy.  When I was thinking he should ONLY sleep in the cot I was making myself so stressed and tense that I am sure he was picking up on it.  Being a little more lenient means we can both just take each day as it comes and see what happens.  As long as there is routine i.e eat, activity and sleep then I think we will do fine.

Thanks for all your help and I will keep you updated to progress.xxxx