Author Topic: Where do you find a playgroup?  (Read 994 times)

Offline GabrielleD

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
Where do you find a playgroup?
« on: April 04, 2006, 11:13:01 am »
DS is 8.5 months old and seems to love being around people (smiles and giggles at pretty much everyone). Since it's just him and me for most of the day until DH comes home from work, I thought this might be a good age to try to find a play group so he could see other kids his age. But I don't know anything about this. Is 8.5 months too young for  a playgroup? Also, we have a playgroup at church for babies to preschool age kids, but it only meets once a month (right in the middle of his morning nap), and I found a group at the library which meets once a week (it would be ideal, but once again, it meets in the middle of his morning nap). How do you find playgroups?? Also, how long should a playgroup be (the one at the library appears to be 20-30 minutes of structure (music/story) and free play, whereas the church group is 2 hours of free play. Since DS is going to be an only child, I really want to do this right so he learns to interact with kids his age. Thanks for your help.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Where do you find a playgroup?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 19:12:10 pm »
First off, two hours seems a bit long for an 8.5 month old for me -- but you can always go for just part of it and bring him home if he starts getting fussy - might be able to work around that nap that way too.  The library one sounds great -- when we have classes, I will often put DD down a little early so she'll take a shorter nap so she has some sort of sleep before we have to go out.  She generally will make up for it later on in the day anyway.  Depending on your LO's temperament, you can definitely work around naps if you are doing something that would benefit him.

I take my DD to a few classes at our local YMCA - there's probably one (or something similar) near you - they're a great place to meet other moms - also places like Gymboree do classes as well - if you get involved in one of those, it's a good place to find out what other moms are up to.

Also, I joined a "Stroller Strides" class which is one of those classes where you exercise while pushing your stroller - great for my DD because she gets out and sees other kids and great for me because I get to meet other moms.  You can search stroller strides online or I know there are other similar organizations -- stroller robics maybe?....but it does seem that once you get involved in one thing, there's a natural progression to other things. 

I've also heard of people searching online for playgroups, I know there are some organizations that keep web pages or national organizations that have local chapters all over the place.  If you search "moms groups" or "play groups" you're bound to find something.

I've found that my DD really benefits from and enjoys being around other kids, so I definitely encourage you to find something to get involved in (plus it's great for you too!). 

Best of luck!

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
Re: Where do you find a playgroup?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 22:23:34 pm »
Thanks so much!! Great info; I now know where to start looking!