Author Topic: constipation  (Read 1777 times)

Offline aidenmc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
constipation
« on: April 04, 2006, 13:47:18 pm »
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas to help me fight my lo's chronic constipation. We have been dealing with this for about the last 6 weeks and it is at its worst in the middle of the night. Aiden gets so uncomfortable that he ends up being awake for ages and waking more often. What is strange is that he will have a 'normal' bm early in the morning sometimes, but by the afternoon I know he is constipated (he does a lot of moaning, has trouble nursing and falling asleep for naps). I sometimes think nursing difficulties perpetuate/contribute to the problem because he only takes 3 feeds in the day, and usually about 1 at night.

He has had digestive difficulties since birth (reflux, gassiness, frequent bm' s, now constipation) and I have had to be really careful about introducing solids. Right now he is getting mostly fruits and veg (prunes, pears, blueberries, green beans, squash, sweet potato) and very small amounts of grains and chicken. I try to give him water and diluted white grape juice in the day (although he doesn't take much from the cup - I'm trying with a bottle today).

His 3rd tooth has just come through with # 4 on the way.

The problem is that when he is up at night becasue of it I will eventually use a Q-tip like a thermometer to help him pass it (that's how I know how quickly it comes). I am certain I am not supposed to be doing this but it reaches a point where he can't settle back to sleep no matter what else I try. (I do massage and bicycle his legs etc.) I REALLY want to prevent this so I don't do him damage :'(. It is also hampering my attempts at getting him to fall asleep independently (I am working on the gradual removal plan from BF and holding - making some progress, except when he gets so uncomfortable  ::)

Does anyone have any ideas about whether it could be that he is just not getting enough liquids or whether it is something in his diet?

Thanks,

Becky

Becky,
Mom to Kieran (10/15/2000); Aiden, (7/ 8/ 2005); and Samuel (7/10/2010)

Offline Minxsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 13:57:35 pm »
Hi Becky

Poor you and poor him!  My little one was constipated when we first introduced solids having been ok before then.  We worked out after a while that it was bananas that was doing it and she's been fine since then.  Other things that were suggested to us were feeding her undiluted orange juice (this was the health visitor - bubba hated it - too sour), and also checking type of formula.  Don't know which country you're writing from but a nursery nurse told me that SMA bungs up bubbas who have a tendency towards constipation already. 

My sister's little one was constipated from pre-solids and they tried lots of things before going to the GP who prescribed Lactulose which she has been having daily since (she's now 2).  She recently had her first D+V bug and ever since has been fine - weird but true.

Hope one of these suggestions might help.

Offline aidenmc

Re: constipation
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 14:05:31 pm »
Thanks for your quick reply :). We live in Canada. He is mostly BF but gets and occasional bottle of soy formula. Lately I have given him one before bed, and I will be gradually weaning him to a bottle soon I think. Don't know if it could be that. He is supposed to be okay on soy (we are avoiding dairy as much as possible - dad was allergic). I just read about flax oil as helping. I may try that. He doesn't get bananas and I mya try orange juice (although I have been avoiding citrus as well!). My 1st lo never had any of these problems - it get really confusing to know what is safe to give him sometimes.

Anyway, I will try some of your ideas. Thanks!
Becky,

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 15:01:59 pm »
Hugs to you. DS just got over a bout of constipation, and the nurse at the pediatrician's office told us the following:
- If no poop:
use a rectal thermometer to stimulate it, but don't stick it in any further than you would for taking a temperature (see, your Q-tip idea is not that strange! :))
sitz bath with baking soda
glycerin infant suppository (one every 24 hours)

- to loosen the stools or to prevent further constipation:
Give:
pears
apricots
peaches
peas
beans
oatmeal
prunes

Don't give:
rice cereal
white bread
noodles
applesauce (this surprised me)
bananas

She also told us not to give him extra water in addition to his formula, since that will fill him up and he won't have an appetite for the stuff that he needs for nutrients. HTH

Offline Mia and Lily's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Princess Mia & Tornado Lily
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 15:21:56 pm »
Hi You,

I just posted something very similar about 3 weeks ago and there was a great thread on "laxative foods", I will try to find and attach.

We tried all the things you have tried, one thing that you haven't mentioned that helped us a bit was to give dd some warm water with sugar in it.  Our pediatrician actually said, 3 tsp of sugar in 3 ounces of warm water, and because it is so sweet, dd just gobbled it up.  The logic is that sugar water, or juice (had not heard that they could have orange juice, we were told apple, white grape or prune juice), the sugar actually draws water out of the intestines which helps soften the stool.  The other thing we are doing is making dd's cereals with undiluted prune juice, which also seems to help moving things.

They did mention that using a thermometer or other options should only be a last resort because their body will start relying on those instead of learning to poop (if that makes any sense) :-)

Oh, and I notice on you list that you are giving him sweet potato, we were told that those are very constipating and to stay away from that one.  In fact the list of veggies that are not constipating is really short.  We have added mashed up avocado and dd loves it and it seems to help some.

Good luck with it, it is so hard when they are in pain and not sleeping, we still have nights like that when we are not careful or think that we are over the worst and give her carrots  :o

Offline Daniel's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 15:33:47 pm »
Hi Becky

I hope your little one is doing much better now.  :-\ My ds suffered from constipation when he was only a few days old. At the hospital they recommend me the thermometer technique as well. However, it is not wise to use it every day. I remember my ds crying on pain (or at least I thought so) for his problem, so I know how tempted we feel to use such technique.

In Norway is possible to buy on any grocery store malt extract. It is like a sticky heavy substance, like honey. You diluted 1 tea spoon on his bottle, and works almost instantly. It is 100% natural, and it is designed specifically for babies. Hope you can get some of that in Canada.  

I also recommend prune juice.

Offline aidenmc

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 23:39:46 pm »
Thanks for all of your ideas everyone. I will definitely give them a try. I hadn't heard about malt extract although my mother (who is from England) talks about syrup of figs which I haven't been able to find here. Interesting about the sweet potato as they are one of his staples!
Becky,

Offline J&Jsmom

• Showing Appreciation 28
  • South African living in England
    • Need to promote your baby-related business? Check out my website
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 12:44:07 pm »
Definitely check the formula. I swapped my DS to the progress SMA and it blocked him up immediately - it's because of the extra iron in it. What I did to relieve his constipation was buy prune juice and I mixed it with all his meals - so if he had cereal and fruit for breakfast, i would use half the amount of milk or water I'd normally use to mix it and replaced it with prune juice. It worked!
Melissa
Mom to:
Joshua Charles Boleslaw born 14.02.2004
Jamie Edward Christopher born 15.09.2005

Offline DavidandGwilymMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 16:56:39 pm »
I was told by my Ped that kids may not become allergice or sensitive to the same foods as the rest of the family. And that some studies show that just as many have problems with soy as milk products. Hope you find what works for your little one!

Offline leahbeth

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My Spirited Emma
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 15:18:57 pm »
Hi there!
Sorry to hear about that your lo's uncomfortable. We just got X-rays done on Friday that revealed that although my lo was having watery BM. she was constipated. Our ped. suggested 1-4 oz. of undiluted prune juice a day. My lo took it the first day but hates the taste. He then suggested 1 tsp of corn syrup diluted with water each day to soften things up. We will try this today, I'm sure she'll like the taste much better!
Good luck!
 ;)

Offline Jusser

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 08:58:48 am »
Hi Becky, I have exactly the same problem with my LO - only since he has started solid food.  When exclusively breastfed he would go every day, sometimes several times and now it is only every few days, and like your LO he can wake up at night with it and it affects his naps also.  To add to the problem he also has an immature digestive system so a lot of foods cause him to reflux and have belly ache so all the things that aid constipation make him miserable that way instead  ::). Poor love, I have been wracked with guilt that I started him on solid food too early and of course there is no turning back the clock now.... I have two suggestions that worked for us - make up a dried fruit compote by simmering prunes, raisins, apricots, figs, whatever you can get - in a little water until soft.  Then puree and keep in fridge.  You can add it to yoghurt (I also avoid giving LO dairy products as I am asthmatic and have eczema so am being cautious - so I use soy or goats yoghurt) about two teaspoons of the fruits in yog and this usually helps.  Also psyllium husks which you can get in a health store - you can add about a teaspoon to yoghurt or cereal and we have had success with these (also for myself  ;)!).  We never had any joy with sugared water and in any case my LO has 6 teeth and I don't really like giving him a bottle with so much sugar.  It is so upsetting isn't it?  I hate to see him constipated and sometimes when he eventually goes it is like rabbit poo and must have been so uncomfortable to pass.... :'( 
Really hope something works for you soon.
Justine
Justine - Mum to my gorgeous Happy Lion.

Offline aidenmc

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 13:20:37 pm »
HI Justine,

Our situations do sound very similar. My lo also has an immature system and reflux. I also tried starting solids too soon - rice cereal which was just awful! I have backed up on hisffods for the past few days and so far he has been okay. Basically I give him fruits (pears, blueberries, prunes, peaches) and green beans and squash. Occasionally I put in  a little barley or qoatmeal cereal and he gets little bits of rice or spelt bread and cheerios. I was giving soy yogurt as well, but noticed it has rice starch in it. So I stopped and am trying to test to see whether that was bothering him. He has not been constipated for a number of days which I am glad about (and he has slept much better - 11 hours straight last night!). But now I worry about depriving him of enough variety and nutrients. My Dr said that she wouldn't bother trying to figure out what bothers him because most women never figure it out. Sometimes I feel like I am being silly, keeping him off so many foods (myself as well - wheat is the hardest!) especially when people around me are not supportive. But, his eczema has cleared right up and he is much less gassy, so it is hard to just throw caution to the wind.

Anyway, I hope our los' systems eventually do catch up and the feeding is not so difficult!

I will try the compote and the psyllium. Thanks!
Becky,