Author Topic: too old for bottle???  (Read 1125 times)

Offline matthewsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 89
too old for bottle???
« on: April 04, 2006, 14:49:36 pm »
My son will be 3 in may.  He is still on the bottle( I know some of you will gasp at the thought!!)  Well, he drinks 2 ozs in the am when inbed, and goes back to sleep for a n hour or so.  Then he drinks 4 ozs before his nap in the afternoon, and then he drinks 7 to 8 ozs before bedtime.  He never has a bottle while playing and just adores his bottle.  I never even say bedtime, he sees his bottle and yells, yay, bottle and then night night.  I know pediatrcians believe he is too old, but he doesnt really sleep with it, and he doesnt suck on it all day.  Plus we are in the process of moving, and about to have a new baby, what is your thoughts on this?  Just curious as to what you moms thing about this!! Thanks Christie

Ps, He usually also drinks water during the day and eats normally, never asks for a bottle instead of a meal. Althought there are days where he doesnt want to eat, and days when hell eat tons, so it basically a normal appetite.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 14:52:04 pm by matthewsmama »
Christie

Offline jobi

• VBACing, homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth nappying, babywearing mum to 6...
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 241
  • MUFC-The religion...
    • Ndi
Re: too old for bottle???
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 15:10:42 pm »
Jordan was still having a bottle at 3, it was only when he started nursery school at 3 1/2 that he stopped!! It wasn't a bottle with a teat it had a spout like a trainer cup but still a bottle!!
Jo  
Mum to
Jordan-28-04-97
Marc Alex-30-06-02
Jamie- 06-05-04
And Shelby- 14-07-07
And now Brandon and Aimee!
Married to kev the invisible!!

Crazy? Moi? Of course!!

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 19:21:29 pm »
My cousins son still has his bottle and he is almost 3.  Just like yours, he only has it sometimes and it does help with routine for sleeping.  Personally I don't think it's a problem and you will phase it out when it's good for your familiy.  With all your changes happening in your life, I would do what works for now.

Offline momofowen

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Summer Lovin' in MA
Re: too old for bottle???
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 23:05:06 pm »
OK- my opinions aside- my girlfriend has a son who was still drinking a bottle at 3.  He would refuse milk if it was in anything other than a bottle.  He stopped it at a little over three.  She told him he was too big and had to give the bottle to a baby that needed it.  they wrapped it up and put it in the "mail" to a "baby in need".  This made him feel good about getting rid of the bottle.  Also, you can try to swwitch him from a bottle to a sippy (like the nuby) that is a softer spout and kind of like a bottle.  They are at walmart and relatively inexpensive.  We use these with Olivia - sometimes now. ... but that is another story - they are similar to a bottle, but more of a sippy, and then phase it down to a sippy then a big kid cup - when he drinks during the day --- do you give him a sippy or a big kid cup?  Because since you said you are moving and having another baby --- yo ucould use this as an opportunity to help him become a "big boy".  The new room is a big kid room, the fact that he will be a big brother is HUGE-  He is a big boy now. ;)  Yo ucan also take the moment to say "since yo uare such a big boy now, you get to (not how about we, or do you think)  go and pick out your VERY OWN big kid cup to drink your milk with!  If you make it seem like this is the norm... that moving and all and becoming a big kid means milk in a real cp - he may follow your lead on it, and never look back.  You can take him to target or something and let him pick out whatever kid cup he wants - not a sippy but a real big kid cup -  then he can sit up in bed, or stand at his dresser, as we do with water with Owen (4).  And then go to sleep.  Hope this helps...
**You can always go back to work, but you can never go back to having a baby**
Kristin
Owen Tyler 1/14/02
Olivia Paige 7/30/04
- Discovery Toys Sterling Consultant
*We care about ALL children!