Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU DO IF THE NAP ONLY LASTS 45MINS  (Read 1369 times)

Offline mom2liam

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
WHAT DO YOU DO IF THE NAP ONLY LASTS 45MINS
« on: April 04, 2006, 18:32:30 pm »
This might be a silly question........but

When LO only sleeps for 45 mins and you can't get him back to sleep by whichever method you choose. How long do you leave him awake until the next nap...For example..

My LO is nearly 4 months, feeds have been between 3-3.5 hours apart. I put him to sleep at 10am he woke at 10.45am and would not go back to sleep. He had a feeding at 12pm. When do I put him back to sleep? 12.45pm, would mean he has been awake for 2 hours and ready for a nap, however it leaves no room for A time!!

Your help is much appreciated
Wendy
Mom2Liam

Offline Intransit

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
Re: WHAT DO YOU DO IF THE NAP ONLY LASTS 45MINS
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 23:09:08 pm »
I went through this..so I hope I can help you out with a little advice.
My son used to do the same...so...one thing you can try, is before 45 minutes arrives, go into his room..and lay your hand on his back...soothing like...to help him through the sleep cycle. Sometimes this works right off..sometimes it takes time to get them to stay asleep..and continue with the nap..it will take a few time to a lot of times to get it right.
however..if your LO wakes up like you mentioned...continue trying to do pat/shh or pu/pd(whichever one you do) until the next feed is due. If Lo gets very upset, you can take breaks with diaper change etc..to give each of you a break. If doing pu/pd or pat/shh runs into the next feed(ie he did not go back to sleep, then feed your DS, and then continue trying to put him down to sleep.
HTH
 :)
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 16:08:51 pm »
Wendy
I agree with Sjeb.

Liam will get over this eventually, however needs a little help in the meantime.

Can you post your routine, he may be overtired when he goes for a nap and this may also casue the easly wakings  :-\

lauren x
Lauren x

Offline mom2liam

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 12:42:28 pm »
Hi Lauren

I hope you are well...

This is a new routine as of yesterday, I'm trying to get back on track after the time change.....

7am - Woke him
7.15 - FEED
8.30-10.10 - SLEEP HAD TO DO W2S
10.45AM - FEED
12.05-12.45 - SLEEP WOULD NOT GO BACK DOWN - ALTHOUGH DH KEPT HIM IN HIS CRIB AS HE WAS HAPPY LAYING THERE
2.15PM - FEED
2.50-3.35 - SLEEP (AS HE HAD BEEN AWAKE FOR 2 HOURS)
5.45PM - FEED
NO CATNAP
7.15PM - FEED BRFORE BED
7.30PM - SLEEP, BUT WOKE UNITL 8.15PM

He kept waking up between 4am-7am, so got him up at 6.50am.

TODAY IS AS FOLLOWS UP TO NOW

6.50AM - WOKE
7.15AM - FEED
8.15 - SLEEP

Any ideas? he was sleeping through the night until the time change.......
Thanks Wendy

Mom2Liam

Offline mom2liam

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 13:51:44 pm »
Thanks Sjeb.

What did you do if after 45mins, he is looking up at you with big eyes and smiling at you....there is no way he is going back down!!!!

This monrings nap I went in after 30mins and laid my hand on his chest. He woke up, and seemed to go back to sleep, but then 10mins later woke and just looked at me...I left the room and he was very quiet for another 30-40mins unitl he was unsettled and when I went in he had those big eyes and smiling at me, he seemed really awake.....

So now do I just keep him up for 2 hours and then put him down again?

It's driving me crazy.....yesterday I got a 1 hr 40 min nap and then a 45 min nap and that was it....He even woke through the night?

Any suggestions with this or my previous post
Mom2Liam

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 14:37:27 pm »
Wendy

Personally if he will not go back to sleep because he is happy smiley  ;D I wouldn't keep trying, it just upsets Calum. however if wakes grumpy  >:( and tried and I would try and put him back to sleep, although in our case it ends up waking him even more. I have never tried to put him back to sleep until his next E time, as a result we usually do EASA EASA all day.

This morning calum woke at 0530 and WOULD NOT NAP until 9am - he then slept for 30 mins and when I went in he happy and smiling at me  :o his next nap was 1300. I think I have an insomniac.

Hope this answers your question? I am still sleepy  :-[.

I would have answered earlier but needed a nap, work must have caught up. Have you had a reply yet  :-\
Lauren x

Offline mom2liam

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 15:11:57 pm »
Hi Lauren

I should think myself lucky then at least I wasn't up until 6.50am. I'm beginning to think like you, either he doesn't need the sleep or he's frightened of missing out on something....

At the moment Liam is back sleeping......I brought him downstairs at 9.30AM, and when I was feeding him at 10.30am he was faliing asleep, so I took him upstairs. I'm going to go in after 30mins and try the W2s.........Fingers crossed, it would be nice to be baby free for 2 hours!!!!!

I hope you enjoyed your nap.

Do you mean a reply from my Mum? If so, I know she has read the e-mail but she is waiting for me to call, I am very nervous about calling her, I don't know when to do it.

Speak to you later
Wendy
Mom2Liam