Author Topic: Weaning prem baby  (Read 1592 times)

Offline emsandmegan

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Weaning prem baby
« on: April 05, 2006, 09:19:05 am »
Hello
I was wondering if anyone else has weaned a premature baby? I am a bit confused about which foods to offer her. My ped says she can have food appropriate to her actual age (7 mo) rather than her corrected age (41/2 mo).
I have been giving her solids for about 6 weeks again on the peds advice and she does like it. So far she has had baby rice, sweet potato, parsnip, avacado, pear, banana & butternut squash. Can I now give her oatmeal and yoghurt for example?
Thanks for your help

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Weaning prem baby
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 09:55:41 am »
My understanding is you go by their correct age 4.5months as i have a freind with a Prem baby.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 11:25:51 am »
Hi!

My twins are preemies, born at 30 weeks.  We are told to use their corrected age for everything, including weaning.  So we treat our 10.5 month olds as 8 months old and feed them appropriately.  It works out because really that's their age, developmentally...whether they were in the uterus or in an incubator, they should be treated that their due date is their birth day for quite some time (I think until age 2 or something?).

Good luck!
Sarah
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 10:25:48 am »
The iron supply does decrease after six months, premature or not. But a lot of formula milk is enriched with iron anyway so I would wait until the corrected age. Just the iron is important...

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 10:40:41 am »
My friend's DD was 5 weeks ealry and she was advised to wait until she was 6 months corrected before weaning.
On the other hand, mine were 12 weeks early and my consultant said they could be weaned at 4 months, so 1 month corrected   ???  confused?

I would follow your babies' lead.  Mine are now 9 months, (6 corrected) and I have tried them on a little bit of yogurt and some weetabix.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 10:44:42 am »
On the other hand, mine were 12 weeks early and my consultant said they could be weaned at 4 months, so 1 month corrected   ??? 

I heard that quite a lot. Why do so many consultants recommend early weaning ???

I thought 6 months is the best age.

Offline emsandmegan

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 12:40:57 pm »
Thanks for all your advice. Our consultant said to wean between 5-7 months actual age because their digestive system is mature enough after having ebm for the extra time from when they are born to their due date. Bliss the prem baby charity also recommend the same time period but don't go into more specific detail about what to feed when. I will keep her on the food she has already been introduced to for a bit longer before we try anything else.
 ps scotts maw she has been on an iron supplement for ages because she was so early she didn't get chance to store it up in her liver during the 3rd trimester but otherwise it would be a concern so thanks

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 13:26:43 pm »
Hi, we're also on an iron supplement.  They have vitamins and folic acid daily too.

Scott's maw - my consultant said they were developmentally correct at 4 months.
I tried weaning at 4 months, but neither were ready, so left it til 6.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline Elisabeth and Victorias mummy

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My baby sister, cute!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 22:05:51 pm »
My dd was 5 weeks early, however, her body was deeloped as a newborn except her weight (3.2lbs when born)  the peds and doctors said she was just a feed and grow baby.  She did very well in hospital only 20 days and came home @ 3 .12lbs.  she latched on right away and drank enough bm for a 6 lbs baby.  Dd is now 3 1/2 months(actual age) and has been on farleys rusks for about a week.  Has 1/2 a rusk for breakie, 1/4 for lunch ad 1/2 for dinner plus 5 bottles (4ounces each ) and wakes up in the night for a feed(she never use too) still hungry, takes a full bottle. I tried to increase her milk feeds but she would have nothing to do with it, she actually started to drink less, so I started her on cereal and she is doing great.  No constipation problems ,from formula. anymore.  she weighs around 9lbs now.

So I think it depends on the circumstances of your premie, health problems advancement etc. and if your premie is ready go for it.  I must say though dd is advanced in other stages to so it m ight just be her.  She can roll over and wiggle across the living room floor and started to teeth, but slow in the smiling and laughing area took her a lot longer than average.  Go withy your instincts and feelings.
u rl=http://lilypie.com][/url]  []