Author Topic: HELP very very early wakings  (Read 5740 times)

Offline olleezmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: HELP very very early wakings
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 14:42:19 pm »
Just an update...we are limiting am nap to 45 minutes, allowing for an hour and 15 minute nap in pm, and in bed by 7:30...still waking between 6 and 6:30, but that's a heck of a lot better than 4:30...Not sure where to go from here.  DS is not very interested in eating this week.  I think we did our 9 month spurt 2 weeks ago...Like you said,  just when you get into a routine, they change it up on us... :P
Hope all is going well for everyone.
Dawn

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 14:53:59 pm »
olleezmom - i think that your lo getting 11 hrs night sleep and the naps are a wonderful thing! my lo started only sleeping 11hrs at night at about 8 months and is pretty much taking the same in naps as your lo. congrats!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

• Showing Appreciation 50
  • me and littlest cuddlebug
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2006, 13:47:37 pm »
The new napping routine is still working well for us. My LO is waking between 6:00-6:30 am which is such an improvement. I was worried yesterday because although she slept in the morning we were out with grandparents in the afternoon so she did not sleep then but it did not seem to effect her night time sleep  :). I definately think that my LO was napping to early and for to long in the morning and so restricting this seems to have sorted her out. It's been hard work but worth it! I'm going to give it a few more days and then try moving her into share with my toddler, perhaps we can have our bedroom back!
Olleezmom-It's great to hear that things have improved for you, well done!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 13:51:34 pm by dersonperson »
Kirsty x

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 08:16:24 am »
Aggghhh! I spoke to soon, my DD woke up at 4:45am this morning and took along time to get back to sleep.  ::)We have done nothing different with the routine so i'm really hoping that it is a one off. I don't know if i can cope with early mornings like today on a regular basis again. The new routine has been going for a week, this morning was the seventh morning- i hope it was a blip.
Kirsty x

Offline olleezmom

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 13:57:17 pm »
We had a BLIP too.  Past two mornings we've been up at 5 and 5:30.  I feel your pain.  I'm hoping we will get back on track!

Offline teezee

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 14:31:16 pm »
all i can say is that there is usually some sort of regression when doing somehting new. it could be too if the 'regression' doesn't sort itself out that you need to tweak the routine a bit more.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 19:13:31 pm »
I have just discovered that dd has a tooth breaking through. I feel very relieved! (Although obviously sympathetic to her pain!) I'm hoping that explains last nights disruption. I have dispensed camomile granules today so hopefully that will help. If she carries on with the early wakings i will do as you say teezee and tweak the routine slightly.
Good luck tonight Olleezmum-hope you don't get to see quite so much of the morning tomorrow!.
Kirsty x

Offline teezee

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2006, 03:35:39 am »
are you using any kind of pain reliever for lo? tempra/tylenol? orajel? i always give tylenol (when lo is teething that is!) about 1/2 hr before bed and it usually will get her through 5 hrs or so, then if she wakes i will use the orajel and this usually puts her right back to sleep..
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2006, 07:36:37 am »
Well the teething has messed up all my good work. :( The night before last dd woke up at 3:00 and 4:15 because of teeth (fair enough) but this morning she seems to have gone back to early mornings again and woke at 5:30am. I fed her, she went back to sleep and i had to wake her at 7:30am. It's not for extra calories because i don't BF her for a second time (and she doesn't ask for it) and she carries on sleeping so it's not because she has slept enough. Like i said before i hope it is just a glitch and she'll go back on track. I'm not sure what to tweak. At the moment I put her down between 10:00 and 10:30 for 45 mins and then i put her down at 2:00pm for, at the most, an hour and 45 mins (she often wakes up of her own accord before this) and then she goes to bed at 7:15pm. I don'ty know what i can change. I worry that her awake time before her first nap is quite short but then if i push it any later it will begin to infringe on her awake time between that nap and her pm one. (AAAgh! It's so tricky to know what is best)
I have been using Calpol before bed and the teething granules when she wakes.
Kirsty x

Offline KMH35

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.readforfun.org
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2006, 17:18:44 pm »
Hello,

My son has recently started waking habitually at 4:30 AM. I don’t mind his 6 AM wake-up time, but at 4:30 he isn’t waking up happy as he does when he’s rested and really ready to wake up (which used to be between 6 and 7 AM).

How old is your child? 10 mos.

What’s his/her daily routine?
4:30 AM – wakes unhappy, can be calmed sometimes but not always by cuddling with me – I resorted to nursing a few times because I thought he was around his 9 mo. growth spurt, and he nursed heartily. Now he’s okay with not nursing and settled okay in bed with me the last few nights (nothing else worked).
6 AM – Wake for day, breast feed both sides
A – Quiet play, dressing for day, etc. until 7:30 AM when we leave for school (DH and I are teachers and we have daycare on campus)
E  - 8 AM –breakfast (solids) at school
A – plays, goes out for a walk, etc.
S – Goes down for a nap anywhere from 9 – 10:30 depending on routine at school (if they walk or not), naps for about 45 min.
E – Breastfeeds, usually after nap around 10:30 or 11 AM, but sometimes before nap (just recently) as they’ve been going out for walks since the weather is nice
A – until noon, when he eats a solid lunch
S – Nap starts anywhere from 1 – 2:30, usually and lasts and hour to an hour and a half
E – Breastfeeds around 3 or 3:30 and we leave for home (or park, grocery store, etc.)
A – Until dinner time at 5
E – Solid dinner at 5
A – Until we start our bedtime routine at 7 (get into PJs, breastfeed, story time, into crib)
S – Asleep by 7:30 or 7:45

Jack falls asleep pretty well, even on nights when he wants to stand in his crib. He rarely wakes between 7:30 – 11 PM, and only occasionally wakes between 11PM– 4:30AM, and during those wakings I can usually help him back to sleep within 15 mins. with some patting and a blankie adjustment. He IS waking at 4:30 AM. You could set a clock by him. He isn’t waking up happy as he had been when he was sleeping through until 6 AM. I go in when he starts to cry, which is pretty soon after I hear him stir. It’s not a mantra cry; he seems genuinely distressed. DH and I work, and after a few nights of trying to settle him, I gave up and now bring him to bed (yes, accidental parenting at it’s worst). He still doesn’t necessarily settle, which is unusual for Jack. If I tuck him in the crook of my arm, he will fall asleep with his head on my shoulder, but sometimes he will still seem restless for about ½ hour. This started when his bottom molars were coming in (just after 9 mos.). At the same time, Jack learned to crawl, stand and cruise (within a week). I also think the top molars are on their way now. So, there is a lot going on with my little man. Just before the bottom molars started coming in, we gave up the binky, which went pretty well. Jack falls asleep fine without it, at night and for naps (even at day care). He does have a lovie, his “blankie bear.” It can sometimes distract him but he isn’t always aware of it. I know we’re dealing with teething, milestones, possibly separation anxiety (I’m seeing mild instances of it during the day, but he recovers quickly)…Will this just run it’s course? I have considered wake-to-sleep but the first night I tried (2 nights ago), he woke on his own at 3:30, woke up fully, and settled again to sleep until…4:30 AM! I decided to wait to try again until Thursday night through the weekend. Any advice? Suggestions?

Thanks so much,
Karen

Offline olleezmom

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2006, 19:28:55 pm »
The last two teeth are about to break through any time now!  Perhaps that will cure us of the early morning wakies!!!  I hope so!  Inconsistent the last few days to say the least 5 am one day, 5:30 the next, 6:15 this morning!  His appetite is also very inconsistent....one day he can't eat enough, today, doesn't want to "eat" anything, but wants to nurse FOREVER!!!  I feel so bad for him...how much those teeth must hurt, although he isn't really cranky!  He is also super tired for his afternoon nap, wanting to sleep way longer than 1.5 hours, difficult to wake him...ooops, I spoke too soon, I hear him now!  Hope everyone is getting some rest

Offline teezee

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2006, 19:55:28 pm »
karen,
wake to sleep may work since it may be a habit formed through all that teething. i would give it a try for a few days and see how it goes.

if lo is going down for the first nap at 10:30 after being awake since 6am, i think that may be too long..i think that 3-3.5hrs is more suitable for a lo this in keeping them from getting overtired which 'may' have somehting to do with the early waking also, as it does not seem that he is getting too much sleep.

have you tried putting lo to bed a little bit earlier to see if that affects the wake ups? if lo is waking up at 3pm and up until almost 8pm that may be too long of an A time before bed also. you could maybe try 15-min to a half hr earlier to see if it makes a difference.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline KMH35

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2006, 00:52:04 am »
Teezee,

Thanks for your advice. I will try wake-to-sleep starting tomorrow night. Wish me luck!

It's funny that you mentioned the length of A time. At school Jack is suddenly having trouble falling asleep for naps (within the last 2 weeks) and they actually asked today if they could have the binky back for naps only at school. We stopped using the binky one month ago and he did fine without it at school for the first 2 weeks. Why now? Well, I was pondering that this afternoon and realized that on many days Jack is getting his morning nap as late as 11 AM. That's 5 hours of A time in the morning. This is happening because it's warm out and they're keeping the babies up to walk. After we 1st weaned from the binky, Jack was still getting his morning nap by 9:30 AM at the latest. Also, as Jack has gotten older, his sleepy cues are a little more subtle. They have been putting him in for his afternoon nap later, too. He's mellow - A textbook guy, I think. He doesn't start to fuss until he's REALLY overtired, and then it's going to be so much harder to help him fall asleep. I think you hit the nail on the head with your response! I started the wind down routine 1/2 hour earlier tonight (since he actually didn't get an afternoon nap at school - I got him to sleep and then there was a lot of noise in the room and he woke up and they waited a long time to try again and he only napped on the way home in the car - arrgh). So, Jack was asleep by 7 PM. I think I'll try that for a little bit and see if it helps, especially since he cut out the pre-dinner cat nap about a month ago.

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate it!

Karen

Offline teezee

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2006, 04:59:34 am »
good luck and let me know how things are going hun!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline KMH35

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2006, 14:54:19 pm »
Teezee,

Well, they tried using the binky at daycare but Jack didn't want it! Yay! AND they started getting him ready for his morning nap at 9:15 AM instead of 10:30 or 11 AM and they were able to help him to sleep in 15 minutes! He's been asleep now for 1 hr. and 20 mins. That's a good start! Hopefully some good day time sleep, a slightly earlier bed time, and wake to sleep will help Jack get past that 4:30 AM wake up (he's so tired and upset then).

Keeping my fingers crossed...