Author Topic: 9 Month old won't sleep through the night anymore!  (Read 6399 times)

Offline Ravynsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Tiny Ducks
Re: 9 Month old won't sleep through the night anymore!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 14:42:38 pm »
Thanks for your reply :)

If I decide not to give in...is there a time when I would give up trying to put her asleep or do I keep it up until she falls asleep.  I never let her cry for more then 10 minutes because she gets into such a fit..she is actually shakes....that is why I usually go back to the breast to clam her down.

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 14:55:44 pm »
all i can say is definately stay consistant with whatever you decide to do.  if lo is up crying for a very long time it will take up her energy and she will eventually get hungry b/c of it...but i do think you should do whatever you can so that you don't have to resort to 'sticking out a boob' to calm in the end - as kate has said that's just not fair to dd and will give her mixed messages and make her confused.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 21:05:24 pm »
Before a nap/bedtime I offer my ds water so that I know he isn't going to be thirsty. Can you feed say 1 hour before without her falling asleep, so you know she is ok.... feed her if she starts drifting, take her off & go & do an activity. that way you can be confident thirst isn't part of the issue.

To be honest it could take 2 hours & occasionally longer... for me the longest was just over an hour, but usually it peaks around 10-15mins & then cycles, repeating, gradually they loose steam.... so in all honesty 10mins is actually not that long. As long as you stay with her comforting with soothing words & You remain calm, she will learn. After about 30-40 mins it is good to step out of the room & give you all a break, you could offer a small snack & drink from a sippy at this time too. Then go back & start, It is also a really good idea to have a "routine" you do before trying to settle her, so she knows what is happening next. I change nappy, then we sit & read a couple of stories & then I cuddle him & sing a quick song & then into the cot... that way ds, knows it is nap/bedtime, because it is the same routine every time... if you leave the room, start your routine all over again. Also have a verbal message you keep repeating. for me it is "it's ok, nighty night".  What you want to do is change what she sees as the "cue" for bedtime/naptime.

As you have always stopped at about 10mins, that will be the hard part to get through, so it might early on be a point at which you go back & repeat the "settling routine" to "help you" get past it
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Ravynsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Tiny Ducks
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 14:13:03 pm »
It has happened finally!!!!!
I started at first to get dh to settle her down when she woke and that lasted for about 3 days. Went back to the old habit when she got sick and was teething.  Then at around 11 mths I started the pu/lay down because at this point she was pulling her self up.
The first night she did not settle for 2 hrs.  Cried for about an hour and then laid down and chatted and tried to settle for the next.  Finally went to sleep when she got settle on her stomach.   She woke up once that night and I did the pu/lay down for about 10 - 15 mins and she went back to sleep for the night.
  I truly believe she was waking up before because I used to cover her up when it was cold out and she would get all tangled up and not be able to sleep with out my resuce. 
Next night only toke her about 10-15 mins.  She got to the point where if she tried to pull her self up I would get off the rocker and she would sit down her self.  She went through the night.  Now I'm working on the naps and that is working good also. I need to leave the room for naps and bedtime now or she'll want to play with me.  I'm started to wean her to so that is helping also.
Thanks for all your help!!!  :)

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 15:29:36 pm »
glad to hear things are moving in the right direction!! good for you!!  ;D ;D
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005