Author Topic: baby hates car  (Read 2076 times)

Offline kildare3

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 06, 2006, 14:13:18 pm »
Hi all,
I am looking for a bit advice. My dd of 15 weeks has started really complaining when travelling in the car. She was a great travel companion up until a week ago or so ago but now begins to cry even if the car is moving, unless she is due a sleep. I am wonderingif anyone can recommend a good toy, preferably something with music etc that may deal with the boredom, if that whats wrong. I have tried mobiles and bits to hang out of the carseat but they aren't keeping her amused. Any ideas ?Thanks

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: baby hates car
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 14:45:59 pm »
Have you tried playing music that he likes while in the car?  That helped my DD when she was that age.  Also around that time, we found that small toys like rattles and things like that were good things for her to have in the car.  We'd attach them to the car seat straps so she wouldn't lose them.  (Just be careful how you attach them and make sure you're not using something that your son can get tangled in.)  Also a mirror is a great idea and I think that Fisher Price makes something you can attach to the seat that he's facing that has all sorts of stuff on it.  I think for a lot of babies it's really just a stage that they go through and then have to grow out of. 

Offline kildare3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 20:13:02 pm »
Hi Stacy and Erin
Thanks for your replies.  In answer to your question, yes, we have tried numourous gadgets in the car- mirror, music, lights, soft toys on car seat etc.  Nothing seems to make a difference.  Even when my little boy is beside her, she gets fed up.  Sometimes he is able to entertain her, while other times, she just cries and cries which then causes complaints from my little boy.  I am wondering if there is anything herbal or homeopathic that I could give her that might help her to relax. Any suggestions. 

Offline kildare3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 19:19:11 pm »
Hi Stacy,
Did you find it really hard listening to the crying. I find it unbearable and very stressful.  What lenght journeys did you take and did you go every day.  Oh and what age was he when you tried it. Thanks

Offline kildare3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 22:44:43 pm »
Thanks Stacy, I am delighted that travelling is so much more pleasurable for you.  I feel a bit better even knowing there are other parents coping with the same difficulties. 

Offline leahbeth

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My Spirited Emma
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 17:51:22 pm »
Hi there,

My Lo hated the car a while back and it was awful! It as extremely stressful and the thought of leaving the house sent be into a little bit of panic. I had read some great tips here and I wanted to let you know what worked for us.

First, I took away all the toys and gadgets I had. I found that she was overstimulated with the all the things I had attached because I thought she was bored. I also pulled the car seat visor up so she wouldn't be stimulated by the quickly passing objects outside. I also padded the car seat with diapers. We have a Graco car seat and a friend showed me how the padding ends around the small of the babies back and can become uncomfortable. The last thing I did was tune the radio to AM static.

I'm not sure which on of these things worked, I was too scared to not do it all in fear she would scream again, but something worked. I now don't need the AM static, thank goodness. It was better than screaming but still not enjoyable!

If nothing works, I've also read they will just grow out of it!!!

Good luck!
 ;) Leah

Offline kildare3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 21:36:42 pm »
Hi Leahbeth,

Thanks for your support and your soothing words.  It is good to know that other people have had the same problem.  Like you, we have started to avoid the car hoping that she will "behave" when we do have to drive.  We are really trying to travel whenshe is ready to sleep or after feeding to reduce risk of tears.  By the way, what is AM static. I think we are living in different countries which may account for my ignorance.  Thanks again

Offline leahbeth

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My Spirited Emma
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 01:20:16 am »
HI!

AM static is just when you turn on the radio to a station that doesn't quite come in and all you get is the static sound. It is kind of like a white noise! I used to turn it on the back speakers and it would help!

;) Leah

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 08:08:05 am »
Hi kildcare!
Just to let u kno my lo was the same, used to throw proper hissy fits in the car, we tried toys, music and well when he was very upset and screaming (if I couldnt stop) I would turn musci up very loud which seemed to distract him.Also try a paci as it makes them sleepy!
Finally I did a p/u p/d version, in that I would stop the car give hima  cuddle and put him back in. What I think worked really well in the end was a 2 hr trip to the seaside  where LO had time to fall asleep wake up etc all in his seat and really get used to it. He stilḷ gets a bit upset but is much better now and is easily distracted with toys and musci ect

Offline Queen Mother

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 14:12:09 pm »
I have the same problem.  My ds is nearly one and still isn't crazy about the car.  When he starts whining, we roll down one of the back windows a little bit.  The white noise really soothes him for some reason.

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 14:22:18 pm »
Thats a good tip ! Thanx!

Offline kildare3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 20:23:59 pm »
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the replies.  I feel better already knowing that there are other parents in the same situation.  WEll, I tried tuning the radio to static  - thought I had solved the problem but unfortunately noise continued.  I have tried avoiding the car, going for a long spin in the car but nothing seems to be working.  I have come to the conclusion that it will pass in its own time. Over the last day ot two, I have been careful to ensure that dd is not hungry, thirsty or in sun, etc.  If she still cries, I reckon there is nothing I can do.  This has taken some of the stress out of driving which has to be good for the other drivers on the road.  Now I just have to destress my dh.  He finds the crying really hard going.  Thanks again for taking the time to reply.  - I will try the open window idea tomorrow.  It would make travelling so much more enjoyable if it worked!!