Author Topic: need help on when to transition from 3 hour routine to 4 hour  (Read 1131 times)

Offline sheryn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My Julia is just about 13 weeks and she is following a 3 hour routine fairly well except for her 45 minute naps. This has been a challenge because she often wakes before her next feed. I have tried pat/shush to extend her naps but I admit, I haven't been very consistent. Sometimes she goes back to sleep for ten more minutes or so and sometimes she fully wakes.

My question is, do I start to address extending the nap times by implementing pu/pd before I focus on transitioning from 3 hour to 4 hour shedule? Also, should I wait until she is 16 weeks to start the 4 hour or should I begin now, during the 4th month.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Sherry

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: need help on when to transition from 3 hour routine to 4 hour
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 00:49:09 am »
Sherry, does your dd seem hungry at 3 hrs?  If you think she would be able to extend her feedings, you could try it in increments of 15 mins at a time.  An important thing to remember about transitioning to a 4 hr routine is that you will be loosing a feeding during the day.  You'll need to make sure she still gets enough during the day or she'll wake at night.  Mostly, a 4 hr routine baby will drink an ounce or more with each feeding to make up for the feed they've lost (for ex:  drink 8 oz x 4 bottles as opposed to 6 oz x 5 bottles on 3 hr) or bf longer.  However, if you're lo can't take that much at one feeding, she could still be hungry at the end of the day and into the night.  I'm not suggesting that is always the case, but rather just something to consider.  You don't necessarily have to switch to 4 hrs right at 4 months; it's just a guideline as to when many babies do extend their feeds.
It has been suggested that lengthening the time between feeds will promote better naps.  It has happened for many, but I didn't have the same experience so I can't really say.  Of course, you should go ahead and continue to work on extending her naps as it will be beneficial to her regardless of feeding frequency.  A rested baby makes for a happier baby  ;D.  If you have some success with extending naps, let her sleep until she wakes, within reason, and see how long she stretches her feeds on her own.  Otherwise, you'll have some more A time after S, which is very common, and will mean that she might need her next nap a little sooner in the next EAS cycle.
Hope this helps.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline sheryn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 17:19:16 pm »
Thanks Heather,

I think I will just observe and see how she does. Yesterday I noticed excess disharge from her eye and took her to the doc. Turns out she has an ear infection adn an eye infection. Her temperment doesn't seem to be affected but I will wait until she is fully recovered before making any changes to her feeding.. Although, today, I felt inspired to try her morning nap without the swaddle as she is now sucking on her fingers and I want her to be able to self soothe. She went down awake and cooed/whimpered herself to sleep and she even transitioned herself through her first sleep cycle without my assistance. So, maybe she just needed the freedom of her limbs to help her transition. Who knows but seems like a good change so far. As far as extending the time between her feeds, I will take your advice and just go with my baby. She is pretty consistent about needing a nap every 1 1/2 hours of wake time. Almost on the dot everytime!! It is so wonderful to be able to notice the natural routine of my child. I love the guidence the BW has given me as a new parent.

Sheryn

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 20:15:14 pm »
Sheryn, I'm glad to hear your wonderful improvements, but so sorry for your dd's troubles.  I hope she gets better soon.  My dd had a clogged tear duct that produced a discharge and I was instructed to massage the area to reopen it (between the bridge of the nose and the inner corner of the eye).  Anyway, glad you're feeling confident and are getting on well with your lo.
Also, I love the spelling of your name.  ;D
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007