Author Topic: Early mornings in 7 month old  (Read 1377 times)

Offline elsa and jethro's mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • the monkeys
Early mornings in 7 month old
« on: April 07, 2006, 15:26:56 pm »
Hi,
my lo has generally been a good sleeper: textbook baby with the usual ups and downs. We had a blip with afternoon naps recently which we cracked (thanks to advice from this board) but now we have a new problem: early waking. She is waking at between 5 and 6 and crying and crying, seems hungry when we go and get her and doesn't settle herself. She also won't sleep for much more than an hour at her morning nap. I know she's exhausted: big bags under her eyes and grouchy, but it's getting worse! She sleeps well now in the afternoons and (of course) sleeps well if in the buggy for the morning nap. schedule below. How can I get her to sleep longer both at night and for her morning nap?

5-6 wakes and cries. If before 630 I bf her and back to bed, she sleeps soundly or talks to herself. if later we try and sweat it out till wake up time which is supposed to be 730 but often I'll BF at 7.
8ish solids
10am nap
(supposed to be till at least 1130 but always wakes at 11, sometimes with dirty nappy, cant get her to go back to sleep)
1230 Bf followed by solids
230/3 bf
3 nap till 430
5.30 solids
630ish bath
645ish bf
7bed
10 DF (bf)

Along with this she has suddenly become less keen on solids having previously wolfed down whatever you gave her. we manage to get them down her but with t struggle!!! she doesn't have any teeth yet but it's been going on for 3 or 4 weeks so i'm thinking it can't be teething.
poor thing is so tired she sits and stares or is really hard work but not sure how to crack it!!

please help! ???

Laura

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • the monkeys
Re: Early mornings in 7 month old
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 15:32:12 pm »
sorry here are the answers to toher questions:

What's bedtime routine? bath (after which she always rubs her eyes) quiet time if she seems wound up, in nursing chair singing or story, usually just BF when she goes floppy. Time? 7pm
Do you bottle or breastfed?? breastfeed
How much? or how long? varies, always been v quick. maybe 7 minutes?
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) one side
How many wakes per night? just the early morning one (has started crying out once or twice but settles herself)

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? crying and crying. Or is it a mantra cry? don't know what a mantra cry is!
What have you tried to settle?? pat shush, she stops crying as soon as you pick her up.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? lots of different things she's awake for ages now. usually she just sits and plays.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? she's just started sitting up (4 weeks ago) and is learning to crawl backwards at the moment!

Do they have a prop? If so what is it? yes a blanket which she sucks and rubs.
Do they have a lovie? don't know what a lovie is so I presume not!!!
thanks

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 02:19:14 am »
maybe you want to try and get lo to sleep a little earlier (maybe an hr or so) for a little while to get her caught up on sleep and so she is not overtired as that may be a cause for the early waking. i think her naps look fine three hrs seems like enough at this age imo.

how is she going to sleep specifically?? feeding to sleep?? i think it is very important to have a bedtime routine after the bfing...ei bf then do the singing and/or story.

mantra cry - is easier to tell when they are little - kind of like a rhythmic wha wha wha - when they are older they seem to change - i would say that if lo isn't doing the 'I NEED YOU NOW MOMMY' cry then see if she will settle herself first before going in. sometimes lo's need to 'cry themselves to sleep' in order to settle themselves again (esp if overtired) but also it may escalate into the cry that sounds desperate and that's when you would go in.  i would suggest not nursing to get her to go back to sleep in the early am as that will just reinforce the waking and may make it a habit. do whatever you can - i know i had this trouble with my dd for a time (although for different reasons - she wasn't overtired but getting too much sleep...ahh - if it's not one thing then it 's the other ;) ) and i too thought if she just played for a bit and went back to sleep i would be happy! but she only wanted to play with me in the room ggrrrr! anyway, i just made the time as low key and as unappealing as possible..no talking eye contact, etc. and when i started adjusting the naps it started falling back into place again - as i am sure it will with your dd when she catches up on her sleep as long as she hasn't developed a fond association of being fed at the early waking...if so then you will have to do some sleep training if you want to resolve this (pu/pd, wake to sleep...)

again, once caught up on sleep if she doesn't start sleeping better on her own - do try and resettle in the crib and if the crying escalates or continues - don't just pick her up and hold her, rock her, etc.  at that point you will probably need to resort to pu/pd which in the wee hrs of the morning can be unbearable as it is hard work (even harder when you can barely keep your eyes open ;) )but will be well worth it after anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks when she is sleeping to the 'normal' wake up time. 'normal' wake up times can also change - my dd used to sleep in till 8 or 8:30...ahh those were the days - not it's more like 7:30 since the early wake ups but i can totally live with that and wouldn't complain! like i said before you could also try wake to sleep if you aren't too keen on trying pu/pd and use pu/pd as a last resort if the other doesn't work (after getting caught up on sleep).

depending on how long you have been feeding her back to sleep early in the am, you may need to wean her off of those feeds.  you may want to start by giving her half a feeding and then comforting and soothing til she's asleep, and then slowly eliminate the amount of feeding time by minutes until it is not 'worth' it for her to wake up at that time anymore and then she will take her full feeding at the normal waking time.

the blanket isn't a prop - unless it is something you control - kwim? ei - a paci only becomes a prop when the lo needs YOU to put it back in her mouth...if she can replace it herself or doesn't wake up and need you to replace it, it is not a prop.  seems to me that your lo does have a lovie (the blanket)!!

good luck - pls get back to me if you have any questions - i know there is a lot of info i wrote and i hope to not overwhelm you with too much at once...:)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • the monkeys
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 14:23:41 pm »
thanks, that was my suspicion! I've not been feeding her back to sleep (never fed to sleep apart from occasionally at night if she's just unrousable) too much of a BW for that! No I just feed her, she's wide awake when I put her back in cot, both at night and in the early hours. after a feed at night we have a cuddle in the nursing chair and say prayers, in the morning she's wide awake once fed but goes back to sleep quickly.
 I'd tried the pat shush (which worked great when she was 3months) but she's wise to that now: "if you're here then hurry up and cuddle me mum!!"- that's when I usually get the totally out of control tantrum cry.

I got a couple of good naps out of her the past few days (did a stay-at-home stint!) and hey presto after crying and settling herself at 5 she slept till 7 this morning then (and this is the main thing) just talked to herself with the occasional whine but was clearly fine. then she slept the morning nap for 1.5 hours without a wimper so I am thrilled. she still seems tired but I'll do a couple of 630 bed times as you recommend.

BW techniques always seem to work, but then she is a textbook baby  ;)
thanks so much,
L

Offline Cory'stiredmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cory'shappymom
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 20:48:05 pm »
Just reading your post.... if you put your LO to bed at 6:30.... what do you do about your last feed etc? I want mine to go down earlier... but am stuck on how to handle that feed. I don't it to be a weak feed and then he wakes earlier due to hunger.
Any ideas?

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • the monkeys
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 21:05:41 pm »
This may not be right! But this is what I do if I want an early night:
the 3pm ish feed I give a bit early, say 230: she may not take as much but that's ok. Then she's really ready for her dinner at 5.30, try not to over feed her but feed and bath her quickky that way she gets a big BF at 6.30 cos she;s hungry. Then DF at normal time (so slightly bigger gap but thats fine I find!) that way she's hungry enough to stoick up before bed. i found when I was giving her a huge solid feed for dinner she was having less of a DF and actually waking earlier!
Maybe I'm wrong though...

Offline Cory'stiredmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cory'shappymom
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 21:19:50 pm »
I'll give it a try. thx

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 03:06:05 am »
good luck and let me know how lo's progress is! :)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005