Author Topic: Lots of night wakings again !  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Khyan & Sahria's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Lots of night wakings again !
« on: April 08, 2006, 22:49:21 pm »
We have always had sleeping problems and things were hard all the way up until Khyan had his grommets in Dec (he was 20 mths and still waking lots)
Anyway the 2nd night after the op he started sleeping thru the night and has been ever since unless something is going on such as teething or sickness.

A couple of months ago he moved to a big bed and things went really smoothly with barely any trouble. Things were heavenly.

So the past 12 nights he has been waking anywhere from 2 to 5 times per night. The first couple of nights I thought must be teeth so I gave pain meds and they seemed to help a bit but then I stopped one night and found that he slept somewhat better without the meds (longer before the first night wake & easier to settle back to sleep). But the waking still went on – he can’t be sick as he would have come down with the symptoms by now.

The only thing that has changed is that we are potty training he seems to really love going to the potty and it was no work at all. I put the potty down for him and took off his pants, explained that wee & poo goes in there and then he just went and sat down every time he needed to go. There were no rewards other than clapping and yaaay type behaviour.

First thing in the morning he comes into our bed for a cuddle and then most mornings he sort of jumps and says weeezzzz and runs out to try and remove his pants and jumps on the potty.

Do you think this might be why he is waking at night ? that he wakes every time he pees in his sleep and it wakes him and if so how on earth do I fix that problem ? Should I just deal with it like a night waking, do I give pain meds for a little longer just incase, do I put him on the potty ?
I'm so confused as to how to deal with the wakings.

I know that for 5 of the past nights he woke with pee all over his pj pants and had to be changed in the middle of the night. At about that time I removed his bedtime bottle (yes a little late I know ) and limited water before bed and although he didn't wet thru his pants last night he did still wake 4 times arrrrgggghhhh ! I thought I would get some sleep before the next baby arrives – but maybe not !

I think I'll also post something similar in the potty training to see if anyone has had any issues like this before too !

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
TIA
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 12:44:24 pm by Khyan's mum »
Michaela
Khyan & Sahria's Mummy

Offline Khyan & Sahria's mum

Re: Lots of night wakings again !
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 01:06:52 am »
Ok - so last night I decided to try the pain meds again as he had been putting his WHOLE fist in his mouth again  :o

And well he slept till 5am  ;D I put him back to bed and he slept another hour so all in all the night went really well  ;D

So I'm guessing that there must be some teething pain, Ohh and also he woke with a snotty nose this morning, although it must be new because I can't imagine it took 12 nights to come on  ;)

Lets hope that those 2 yo molars hurry in and I can have a couple of good nights sleep before September when the next baby is due  ;)

If anyone has any other thoughts please feel free to let me know !
Michaela
Khyan & Sahria's Mummy

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Lots of night wakings again !
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 17:21:38 pm »
I don't know a word about potty training... too chicken to try it yet :-[ but my first guess were the 2 year molars. Seems like you're figuring him out with the pain meds by now. Which ones are you trying? My ds has to switch, one night of motrin and other of tylenol or else, he gets kind of immune to both if i try the same med everyday. Wacky i know, but worth a try. Good luck! i hope he doesn't come down with a nasty flu... ::)
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 19:10:17 pm »
I know that when my friend started potty training she would still put her lo in a pull up at bedtime so that even if he went it would not wake him up.  I haven't got there myself yet but does that help at all?