Author Topic: Should you treat bedtime differently from nap time?  (Read 956 times)

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Should you treat bedtime differently from nap time?
« on: April 08, 2006, 23:34:51 pm »
Hi there - looking for advice?
My son has always gone to bed no problem at all - within 5-10 min. without us in the room.  We have a routine, take him up, he plays for a few mintues, rarely cries and goes to sleep - it has been great.  And most nights he will sleep through.
Nap time is the opposite.  It could take an hour to get him down and then he only sleeps for 20 min - maybe an hour and a half (who knows?).
Here's the thing.  Ever since we started pd and walk out/in at nap time to try to get him down easier and longer putting him to bed has been harder.  Do we stick with what we have been doing at bed - just putting him in his crib and leaving?  He seems way more upset now than he ever has.  Naps are still bad but I think he knows if I cry (at bedtime - whcih he never has)  mommy will come back in.  It's just that bedtime was always smooth and he actually used to pull to get into the crib at bedtime/play and sleep.  It feels like trying to correct nap time has caused bedtime problems.
What do you think?

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Should you treat bedtime differently from nap time?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 16:42:27 pm »
I'm sorry things are still rough for you guys... have you noticed any improvement with the walk in/out thing? because it's pointless to keep doing it unless it's reporting you some good. If he still won't go down for a nap with the walk in / out method and you've tried it consistently for over 2 weeks and have not seen things are starting to move in a positive direction, it might be time to try something different. I found my son would get too upset with the walk in/out thing and i tried the mattress method even for naps. It is important that both routines (nap and bedtime) are as similar as possible with methods and timings, so your ds gets the cues for sleep time and doesn't put up a fight with them. As eating and everything else with a toddler is more like convincing them it's a good thing they should be looking forward to. How long and what's your routine like? i have to do a 20+ min winddown or else ds gets too overtired and finds quite hard to settle down. We include books, darkening room, waving bye bye and putting stuffed animals to bed, prepare bottle, change diaper wash hands and faces, put on pjs, drink bottle brush teeth and off to bed. By then ds is drowsy and i think the pj's part was helpful for him to understand it was bedtime (i used to put him to nap in his regular clothes but now i explain him that we use pjs at bed and can't use them outside the bed and he perfectly gets it).

Just a few thoguhts, i hope you find some of this helpful.
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Re: Should you treat bedtime differently from nap time?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 22:43:07 pm »
Thanks so much for the reply.  Actually, after the first time you replied to me I have tried some of your suggestions and they have worked quite well.  We now have a longer wind-down time for naps (20 min.), we say bye-bye to people/toys, and we read 2 books in the room before we make it dark for nap time - THIS HAS ALL WORKED GREAT!  Before all you had to do was mention a nap and go up the stairs and he would start crying.  We were already doing all this at bedtime which is of course why it worked so well.  I can't believe I was so silly not to do it all at nap time  :P
Anyways, at bedtime, like I said, we always just left him and layed him down and it was never a problem.  But of course this was always after bedtime routine.  So what we concluded was all we need to do is a similar nap time routine and eventually laying him down and leaving the room will work.  Today it worked great - it only took him 7 min. to settle on his own.  He was not upset, a little cyring but just the tired cry  :)  I'm hoping I have finally figured out my own problem.  Like I said, if we have always been doing great at bedtime I can't believe I just didn't think more closely about nap time  :P :P Silly silly.  I'm going to just keep up the wind-down strategies you have been so kind to suggest and lay him down the way we always do at night.  I think I would kick myself if I started messing up bedtime.  We have always allowed him time to settle on his own and I think if I start switching this now it will really mess him up.  I know trying all this walk-in/out has not been good for him.  We have now decided that we will go back in if we feel he is really needing us but to keep doing it I think is just teaching him we will keep coming in and it has acutally prolonged his time to get to sleep.
Thanks again.