Author Topic: 21 month old, to sleep and waking issues  (Read 965 times)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
21 month old, to sleep and waking issues
« on: April 09, 2006, 03:32:42 am »
Up to this point, Max has been a pretty good sleeper. He went down easy and has been sleeping 12 hours straight through since 16 months, prior to that waking once every few nights to nurse. He takes good naps - 2 to 3 hrs most days.

We've just had a huge move, staying at Grandma's for a week in between our houses, vaccines 2 weeks ago, rotavirus a week ago, and the time change, so I think he's way out of whack. To put it mildly. He's been waking at 5:30am, taking an 1.5 hr nap if lucky, and having a hard time falling asleep at night. (So he's gone from 14-15 hrs to 12ish hours on a good night) He is waking up to 6 times a night, crying out for me or dh, and needing to be settled or just cuddled. We've been trying to put him down tonight for over a hour, and he keeps crying every couple minutes for me after I leave the room. It's just so unlike him. Dh finally went to try to rock him to sleep and put him down completely asleep, something we haven't had to do since he was very young.

He has all his teeth except his 2yr molars, but I don't feel those coming yet. I don't suspect illness or ear infection. His room is set up like his old one was, same bed, same black-out curtains, same fan. His routine is the same. He has been eating well and playing hard. He had a huge language leap a few weeks ago.

I've been through this before and I fell silly asking, but I'm just at a loss of what to try or what to change. My guess is that he's overtired, with such a lack of sleep. Anyone?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 21 month old, to sleep and waking issues
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 06:12:40 am »
Stacy... wow what a lot he has been through (& you to0) I think he is over-stimulated, overtired & over it all. He just wants the re-assurance that at least his Mum & Dad are there to comfort him... he is just saying help I don't understand what happened to my nice "safe life" IYKWIM

Having spent time reading up on attachment issues, (this is my take... others may differ) I'd say with the magnitude of change he has experienced, he needs you to be there until he falls asleep for a while & possibly even spend a few nights in the room with him. I'd also put him down for naps/bed  earlier (1/2 - 1 hour) so he can get passed the "tiredness" I'd say if you treat him like he is suffering from stress & give him as much extra love & time (hard when you are unpacking) & early bedtimes, in a few weeks, I recon you will hardly remember this time.

Hang in there
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 20:44:16 pm »
Thanks Kate for the reply, I always appreciate what you have to say!

Last night was another toughie - I'm getting over the flu so dh was up with Max 4 times between midnight and 6am. Max had a very icky diaper this morning, back to his old "I'm intolerant to something" self so I need to figure out if he's eating something that has bothered him. It is hard moving, finding all his same old foods.

I guess I'll play the wait and see game and give him lots of love like you suggested. Unpacking has been done for quite a time now and we've had lots of time at the park and running around the yard. Hopefully he will get adjusted soon. Thank heavens Grace is so easy going - you'd think she'd have been the one with issues.

Thanks again!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 22:03:36 pm »
Stacy, it will get better esp if it has been good before, just hard when you are stuck there (that is what I keep telling myself, with Liam) &  always worse when you are sick & "adjusting"

Re the food/diapers, it may be something as simple as him adjusting to the different water in a different place. I find when ever we visit other members of the family... all live in other cities/towns that the water upsets my tummy for a day or 2, so I use bottled water for the boys, so it may not be food, just time to adjust to water... just a thought.

Sounds like Grace is growing up  ;D ;D & adjusting well

Hope the new job, home etc work out even better than you hope
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 20:32:50 pm »
It was the crib bumper! We took it out the first night in the new house because Max was vomitting, and I never put it back in. And he did this as a baby too, when I took out the bumper for fear of his safety, he is a creeper and gets his head stuck in the corners and is too asleep to move and too awake to sleep. Insert bumper and he's slept all night last night, until he heard dh up at 6 for work, but I can live with that!

Add to, he's starting to try to climb out and in so it may be time for my sweet 'baby' to move on up to a big bed.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies