Author Topic: Feeling lost  (Read 1624 times)

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Feeling lost
« on: April 09, 2006, 08:00:45 am »
I dont really have a question as such and have posted many times in the last 2 months to try and get some tips or at least to see if anyone out there has been thru the same thing...we r having a real problem with my little angel ever since i had to stop breastfeeing him at 4 months. He really wasnt into a bottle at all and finally ended up in hospital after days of not eating as eh was totally dehydrated. It turned out he was lactose intolerant and was switvhed to another type of formula. He is also on reflux meds as they suspected he suffered from reflux too. After the hospital we were all doing very well for almost 10 days. Thomas was eating and sleeping properly but after another bouts of thursh we r back to square one. HE wont eat again, this time he is on the meds and the special milk so we cannot work out what the prob is...we r currently awating blood test results. In the meantime, i'm going mad, it kills me to see him stare himself and have formulated my own theory....i think when he got the thrush he remember everything he went thru the first time round and now has a very negative association with bottles... so much so that he HATES them ( forgot to mention, he take 2 full bottles at night, half asleep). I think he eats at night coz he HAS too but refuses to in the day.

Does this sound absurd???? I read soemwhere that babies have a hard tiem forgotting pain so thought there may be more a psychological factor at hand??? I also think if this is the prob weaning him may b a solution??

Has anyone ever had this with thier baby or heard of somethign similar?????

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Feeling lost
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 08:06:32 am »
Hi YAYa
Sorry to hear your still having problems.

Yes, I have heard about babies associating bottles with a bad experience, however at the moment I am unsure on how to remedy.

I am not sure weaning is the solution because milk will still be your LO's main source of 'food' until he is 12months.

Have researched more into how to remedy the negative bottle association? I will also try and have a look into it for you.

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 08:08:51 am »
What a quick reply? Thank you so much! I have really hit rock bottom with this situation as it affects all areas of lo's life, food, noght, sleep, seperation anxiety. I have no idea whether i'm on the right track with this theory but cannot see the docs getting any closer!!!!

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 08:09:37 am »
how old is you LO again?
Lauren x

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 08:15:02 am »
Hes almost 6 months, i was told to postpone weaning as he has had so many probs taking milk that docs want him to stabilise with milk first
 about the weaning... i thoight maybe a sippy cup will help??

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 08:22:18 am »
Yeah you could try a sippy, for some reason I thought your Lo was about 4 months  ??? ???.

Have you tried the sippy already, I would recommend one with a valve so he still has to suck for it.

Where do you live about? I am  in the UK and use the Boots own brand sippy.

Although CAlum gets his main milk intake from his bottle he also loves the sippy and his diody cup.
Lauren x

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 08:41:15 am »
thomas isnt  great at drinking from a sippy cupso we'll have to keep practicing!

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 08:42:34 am »
I'm so sorry I can't add any advice for you - just wanted to send you a hug and say I hope that things improve for you and your LO soon. Will had terrible colic early on and I remember being so distressed about it.

Take care xxx

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 08:48:24 am »
thanx 4 the support...yes it is very stressful and worrying hes such a  wonderfully sociable friendly baby1 its a shame if the eating experience has been spoilt by this

Offline gabriels mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 14:00:13 pm »
Hi Yaya

I am soooo sorry that you are having such a terrible time of things, I know how hard it is to think about anything other than the feeding, and you never get a "break" from the worry.

If you are correct, and your LO has a negative association regarding bottles, then I think you need to get some professional help.  Somewhere in this forum there are some posts from mums who have had to seek help from a speech and language therapist to get their LO's to take milk from a bottle or other sources, following "bottle Phobia".

I think you need to re-discuss the issue with your Doctor again, and talk about the possibility of "bottle phobia"?!

I really hope you are able to get to the bottom of this soon, but make sure your concerns are listened to by the Dr's, as you are his mum, and know him best.

Good Luck

Gabriels mum
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 18:37:22 pm »
will b speaking to doc tomorrow so we'll see what he says. You're  right it is very hard but we're staying positive! thank u! :)

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 18:58:40 pm »
YaYa let us know how you get on  :)
Lauren x

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 07:55:34 am »
Hi! Just to let u know that things are a little better...Thomas is eatign well now and altho he suffers from reflux, vomit etc we def think we r gettign somewhere! He had an endoscopy last week and we r now awaiting biopsy results..will keep u posted..fingers crossed!

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 08:03:28 am »
Glad to hear you're getting on better. Hope you hear good news from your result, let us know.  :-*
Lauren x