Author Topic: Has anyone else tried extreme wake to sleep?!  (Read 1110 times)

Offline RebeccaH

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Has anyone else tried extreme wake to sleep?!
« on: April 10, 2006, 08:13:47 am »
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago things reached crisis point with my 9.5 mo. He hadn't slept more than 3 hours at a stretch for weeks, was often waking every 2 hours every night and taking up to an hour to settle, I was at work full time and my dh is away for 9 weeks! I was tired! And frustrated as I couldn't work out what was wrong. Anyway, with excellent help from zandersmummy on the PU/PD board we decided it was habit but also that my PU/PD technique was about right (and it wasn't really helping). So I decided to do extreme wake to sleep! And it's working but I'm not sure what to do next. By the way Zandersmummy checked his day routine and reckoned that was about right too.

This is the last few nights (wake to sleep times are in brackets, baby wake ups are not) He goes to sleep brilliantly (and independently) between 6.30 and 7 and wakes up between 6.30 and 7)

Fri (9.05pm) (11pm) 11.50-12.41 (1.30) 4.22am-5.38
Sat (9pm) (11.30) (1am) (3am) 4.38-5am
Sun (9.15pm) (10.15) 1.45-1.54 (3.30) (5am)

As I hope you can see he's pretty much sleeping through (for 11-12 hours) and when he wakes up it takes much less time to settle him. I'm delighted as I feel this is a big improvement but also tired as I'm still getting up every couple of hours - although it's much easier than settling him. I know Tracey says to use WTS for 3 nights but I'm scared to stop abruptly and have him wake at all hours again. Also, I hope this is not becoming his new prop, I'm trying to go in at slightly different times each night. I'm off work now for 2 weeks and really want to focus on sorting this out while I have the time and energy!

Any suggestions (or questions as I'm not sure how clear I've been) or experience of doing this would be really appreciated. Thank you!

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Has anyone else tried extreme wake to sleep?!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 13:56:50 pm »
what specifically does your daytime routine look like?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline RebeccaH

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 14:23:12 pm »
Hi,

This is the routine that I posted on the PU/PD board plus the answers to the other questions that I haven't covered. Thanks for your help.

6.30ish wake and B/F
7.30am Breakfast, porridge and fruit
9am sleep, usually about an hour (he usually sleeps about 2/3 hours after waking up so this time depends on morning wake up)
12 Lunch and juice
12.30/1ish sleep, up to 2 hours
When he wakes up he gets a milky snack (yoghurt or something similar) and juice
5pm tea
6pm bath, B/F and bed (he's usually in bed between 6.30 and 7)

This is the sort of day he has with me but I think sometimes with his childminder he doesn't get enough sleep as she takes him to playgroups etc. in the afternoons. He is a very active baby, always on the move, and doesn't like to miss anything that's going on.

What's bedtime routine? Time? I B/F him after his bath but he's always awake when I put him down.

Do you bottle or breastfed?? B/F

How much? or how long? Only twice a day now as I work full time and I've run out of the will to express. I don't think it's hunger that wakes him as once or twice I've fed him in the night and it's made no difference.

If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) Both (used to be one side but now both on fewer feeds)

How many wakes per night? Until the WTS thing it was about 4

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Half the time he's still lying on his tummy and is quickly settled (less than 5 mins) if I put his dummy in and tuck sheet in. Half the time he is standing up and is very upset, can take over an hour to settle him then.

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? Definately not mantra cry - I try to count to at least a hundred and sometimes he settles himself but that's really rare, maybe only once every couple of weeks. When I go in I'm sure he wouldn't settle alone.

What have you tried to settle?? Dummy, hold his hand through bars while I sit next to him, soothing words, camomilla powder for teething.

What do you do for A time and how long is it?Walks, he plays independently really well, lots of blocks and pulling up and things, playgroup with the childminder (she has a 2 year old he plays with)

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? He's really trying to get on his feet all the time. (He has bad excema on his legs)

Do they have a prop? If so what is it? Dummy/Me

Do they have a lovie? No, not yet but I'm keen on the idea, not sure how to introduce.

Offline teezee

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 03:33:34 am »
does your lo only get 2 bf's a day? i am not a dr by any means - and it may be too much but my lo is still on 4 - i have heard of going to three at this age but i haven't yet heard down to two feedings...could your lo be hungry at night? have you tried supplementing at least one feed with formula for a few days to see how that goes?

try limiting your lo's naps to a total of 2.5 hrs or even somewhat less at he may also be waking due to getting too much sleep during the day therefore very possible disrupting the night sleep.

i def think a lovie would also be helpful - make sure when you do find one that you get your scent all over it (sleep with it for a night) whether it is a teddy bear or a blanket - then hopefully lo will learn to 'hold' that instead of needing your 'touch' or 'smell' directly from you kwim?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline RebeccaH

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 09:01:41 am »
Hi,

Thanks for your advice, I've checked with my friend, who is a Dr, and the H/V who say that 2 B/Fs is fine so long as he's getting a pint a day of dairy inc. cows milk in food/yoghurt etc. I tried feeding him a couple of afternoons but he stopped having as much at bedtime which led to starving baby in the morning and earlier wake up. I have tried to organise his naps a bit better though and I think that's helped.

Anyway, good news to report. I did wake to sleep every 1.5 hours (ish) for the last five nights and he's slept almost 12 hours. So, last night I left him to his own devices and he just woke once at around 3, he settled himself back to sleep after a few mins of mantra cry. 20 mins later he woke again and cried this time so I went in long enough to say "go back to sleep baby" and that was it until half six this morning! Fingers crossed for tonight.

Thanks again.

Offline teezee

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 14:38:15 pm »
congrats! keep up the great work!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005