Author Topic: lumpy food  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Jyates

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
lumpy food
« on: April 10, 2006, 08:22:32 am »
hi just started weaning dd this might be a silly question, but how do you liquidise food and when done properly what should it look like (consistency of red sauce maybe?) How do you liquidise meat? do you add water? And when do you start putting texture in food making it thicker and lumpier?????? Help please really confused about wots right.......
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: lumpy food
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 14:40:39 pm »
Jyates,
Some foods will be very liquidy, like pears.  Others will just be smooth, like avacado and sweet potatoes.  I use a food processor to puree most of my lo's foods.  Foods like bananas and avacados I use a fork to mash.  Many moms/dads use breast milk or formula to thin foods that are too thick for baby.  I have been using water.  As far as how thin to make it, you have to test that with dd.  She will let you know if it's too thin or thick.  When it's too thin, I usually add some cereal.  Meat can be pureed as well, once it is cooked (boiling is probably the easiest way to cook it).  7-9 months is a good time to begin adding "lumps" to the food.  Just puree a little less.  Again, let your dd take the lead.  If she's not ready for lumps, she will tell you and you will know for the next meal.  Just keep trying once in a while to test it out.  There's not too much of a right or wrong... just listen to your dd.
HTH
~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Mrs. Gravy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 18:25:58 pm »
I would steam veggies and use a hand blender to puree.  You can offer soft, ripe fruits mashed with a fork or blender.

For meats, I waited until my son was old enough to eat finger foods (around 8 months) and just gave him small pieces of cooked chicken or beef.  We skipped the pureed meats. 

Just follow baby's cues.