Author Topic: Adjusting or growth spurt?( Long - sorry!)  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Mamastalawatt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Me and my beautiful boy!
Adjusting or growth spurt?( Long - sorry!)
« on: April 10, 2006, 21:17:22 pm »
Just wanted to run this by everyone to see what your opinions are!

DS has been on EASY for three weeks now and settled into it really well, other than the 45 min nap thing, which we have started to improve on over the last few days (today he almost managed two, two-cyle naps and a 30 min catnap this afternoon).  Because his bedtime was a bit later than I thought it should be (mjind, it was usually hours later before we started EASY!) I decided to try and shift it all forward tonight.  I read a thread somewhere that suggested an earlier bedtime might help with sleeping through the night.  His routine, has roughly, looked like this:-

7.00am  Wake / feed
 7.45am  Activity
 8.30am  Nap

10.00am Feed
10.45am Activity
11.30am Nap

1.00pm Feed
 1.45pm Activity
 2.30pm Nap

4.00pm Feed                                     
 4.45pm Activity
 5.30pm Catnap                               CHANGED TO:-
 6.00pm Time with Daddy                  6.15pm Bath, massage
                                                       6.45pm Feed
 7.00pm Feed                                   7.00pm Bed
 7.45pm Bath, massage, story
 8.15pm Feed
 8.30pm Bed

11.30pm Dream feed                       10.00pm Dream feed

So DS went to bed at 7pm fine, like usual.  He usually sleeps through til about 3am with a dream feed at 11.30ish.  However, he then woke up at 8.30, screaming (I think he was actually too hot) and was wide awake, wanting to play and really hungry for food (thirsty?).  He only went back down just before 10pm.

I was planning to continue with the new timings, incase it's just a case of him taking time to adjust, but wondered what people here thought - have I done something wrong?  He usually wakes at least once in the night, but usually twice (3ish, 5ish) and seems genuinely hungry, even if I delay a feed by an hour by giving him his soother.  I'd like to encourage him to sleep through the night if I can.

The other noticeable change tonight is that he has taken a lot more milk than usual - probably twice as much.  I had to give him fomula as I didn't have enough milk myself. He is 13 weeks today so I thought it might be a growth spurt - I guess the next couple of days will tell.

Anyway, I'd appreciate anyone's ideas or suggestions.  I'm feeling positive about using EASY, especially as I am starting to see some successes with longer naps, but I don't want to mess it up and could use some guidance.

Thanks!

Mama  ;D

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: Adjusting or growth spurt?( Long - sorry!)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 13:18:20 pm »
Hi Mama,

I think the new routine looks great to me, just stick at 7am Wake, 7pm Bed.  He will need a few days to get used to it.  He sounds like he's going a growth spurt.  Expect growth spurts about every 6 weeks.

Well done on extending naps.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: Adjusting or growth spurt?( Long - sorry!)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 15:12:36 pm »
I completely agree with Corrina.  You're routine looks awesome, and congrats on extending naps.  It will work wonders in both your's and your ds's best interest.  Give it some more time and see what evolves.

Oh, and definitely keep the 7pm bedtime (or 7:30) and try to give the dreamfeed between 10-11 pm.  With a 7 pm bedtime, 10 pm would probably work best.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007