Author Topic: quick question about bf and solid from book  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Carolyn R

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Nathan at 6 months
quick question about bf and solid from book
« on: April 11, 2006, 05:12:56 am »
Hi all,

Thank you for the first couple of posts and feeding information - very helpful. :)

I have a quick question about the feed schedule.

my son is 7.5 months old. I introduced him to food at 6 months as suggested in the baby whisperer book.

So here is the/our schedule.

7:30 bf
9:00 cereal and fruit
11:30 bf
1:00 meat veggies fruit
3:30 bf
5:30 meat veggies fruit
7:00 bf
10:00 bf

I am wondering if I can wean another bf other than the dream feed? I have started weaning the df. 15 mins. every couple of nights.
Nathan will not take any bottle or nipple. I started him on sippy cup at 6 months but he only sips water, not milk out of the sippy cup. He hasn't taken 1 oz from a sippy cup yet, only enough to wet his lips each time.
I am concerned because the book talks about the importance of letting them feed every 4 hours and not be snackers. I am feeding him every 2.5 hours.  ???

Thank you so much.

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: quick question about bf and solid from book
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 12:32:38 pm »
The 4 hour feeding only really relates to when you are giving milk only feeds. It is fine to alternate solid and milk feeds at 2.5 hour intervals as your lo may not have the stomach capacity to take both solids and milk at the one sitting.

Once you stop the dream feed, you can start to cut down on whatever feed your lo is least interested in - in my dd's case the 11.30am milk feed was the next one to go and I just brought lunch forward a little so she wasnt too hungry.

If your schedule suits you and your lo then there is no real need to change it - your lo will naturally start to cut down on their milk feeds as their solid intake increases.  You're doing a great job!!

Seona

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 14:57:44 pm »
I echo everything Seona said. 
I too am feeding every 2/2.5 hours, alternating bf and solids.
We are currently moving the dreamfeed back 15 minutes (we're at 10 pm now) every 3 days and I am hoping that dd will find new interest in the 11/11:30 feed, but I have a feeling that one is next to go.

He'll catch on to the sippy cup, just keep at it.  With dd1 I offered it all the time.  It became something that moved with us from room to room (to crib) throughout the day.  You can try another sippy, but when he's thirsty enough, he catch on.

~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Carolyn R

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Nathan at 6 months
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 17:05:13 pm »
Thank you so much Seona and Rachel for your helpful information.  ;D

I like the idea of having the sippy cup available at all times - great suggestion!

Nathan is showing less interest in the 11AM feed. I think it will be the next to go after we tackle the dream feed.
We are currently down to 10PM and will go to 9:45 tomorrow night.
So far there have been no difficulties. I found that the df would wake him, whereas before he never woke. This was my clue to begin weaning the df.

Carolyn