Author Topic: Re: refuses to sleep in a bed i need urgent help plz  (Read 995 times)

Offline Andrea30

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: refuses to sleep in a bed i need urgent help plz
« on: April 11, 2006, 15:37:11 pm »
Hello!
I am having the same problem, my DD will be 3 in July aswell. We have a 3 mth old who is sleeping in our room in her bassinet. My older daughter changed rooms, and I thought i'd ease the transition by keeping her in her crib before introducing the bed. She likes her new room and has been going to sleep on her own in her crib in the new room for 3 mths. The bed was also in the room and we'd read her books on the bed but she never wanted to sleep in it. Now we've taken the crib out and dismantled it. She cannot fall asleep on her own anymore in the bed and wakes earlier. It's been late nights for us and early mornings. It's been HELL!!!! I would love to put the crib back together and put her back in!!! She just keeps getting up and asking for hugs, juice....when she does fall asleep, it's because one of us has layed with her until she's asllep. Once she's asleep she's fine. we bought her Dora sheets, which she loves but not enoght to keep her in the bed. I've tried promising presents in the morning, ...I've made a big deal when she wakes up in the morning and tell her how proud of her I am.....I don't know what else to do!!! I've tried taking a toy from her bed every time she gets up out of the bed, that didn't work either. The tricky thing is my husband works nights and my baby needs me at my older daughter's bedtime so I don't have time to lye with her till she falls asleep. My LO is usually fussy at that time.  If anyone one has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it!!! I probably should have left her in there till it was a problem but I was feeling presured from people to get her out of the crib. They're not the ones dealing with lack of sleep and cranky toddlers... HELLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: refuses to sleep in a bed i need urgent help plz
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 16:56:15 pm »
I splitted your post to see if you can get some extra personalized advice. Unfortunately i don't have any experience with big girl/beds since we're still using the crib and planning to for as long as we can...

I probably should have left her in there till it was a problem but I was feeling presured from people to get her out of the crib. They're not the ones dealing with lack of sleep and cranky toddlers...

well probably they can be of help with the sleep training ::)

I can only think of going to bed with her and using the mattress method, that is, putting a mattress on the floor and going to sleep with her for a week or so till she gets used to go back to sleep with the confidence you're there. Once she stops waking, you can gradually move the mattress away from her bed till you're eventually out of the room. But that needs help since you have another lo who needs your attention during nights and early mornings.

Another option is redirect her to her bed everytime she wakes, the first time you tell her it's night time we sleep on our beds. The following times with no eye contact and no talking you take her to her bed every single time. It can be exhausting but i know this has worked for other moms in the past. It is only exhausting the first couple of nights then it gets better.

HTH!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake