Poll

Do you boil your tap water for making formula?

yes
26 (86.7%)
no
2 (6.7%)
use some other water (bottled etc)
2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Do you boil your tap water for making formula?  (Read 3554 times)

Offline HaydensMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Do you boil your tap water for making formula?
« on: April 11, 2006, 20:19:06 pm »
I just learned about this poll feature and thought this would be a good topic to use it on.

Secondly, I am wondering if you do boil water, what do you store it in and do you refrigerate it or leave it sit out.

Currently, I do boil water, but leave it in the kettle and am wondering if that is bad.
**Kim**

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Do you boil your tap water for making formula?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 20:26:05 pm »
I boil it in kettle, leave it to cool for 30 - 45mins, pour into bottle and add formula.  Run under cold running water and refridgerate. I leave it to sit out ONLY if he is due a feed soon.

Or I have been known to pour the boiling water directly into the bottle and letting it cool in there for 30 - 45 mins, then add formula........
Lauren x

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 20:27:19 pm »
i boiled the water in the kettle , allow to cool then make the feeds up . then put them in the fridge . i always made feeds up the night before i used them . i still boil water before i let Ryan drink it , and to dilute in juice. now that he drinks a lot of water i keep it in a plastic bottle in the fridge . but you couldn't do this for feeds as you need cooled boiled water.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline rach

• Showing Appreciation 322
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 20:56:31 pm »
I voted yes.  I know i'm not currently feeding formula to Charlotte, but I will be again with this little one when I start to reduce down the breastfeeding.

What I did with Charlotte was, boil up some water which I then allowed to cool and kept in a jug in the fridge.  When I needed to make up a feed I would make the feed up with part fresh boiled water and part cooled boiled water from the fridge which meant that the formula milk was the right temperature for my little one to drink straight away.

Hope this helps!

Rach xx
Rach xx

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 21:08:59 pm »
I boil water in a kettle, let it cool down for an hour or so, fill it in a flask and then make the formula fresh each time. I'd love to do what Calum's mum does, but it doesn't work with HA formula. The woman on the hipp helpphone said: "Turns yoghurt if you prepare it more than an hour before consuming". In fact, it turns yoghurt and seperates after 30 minutes...

When DS is hungry and wants please fed NOW, I can't wait for the kettle to cool down for 45 minutes. I also couldn't tell anyone to leave the kettle alone for 45 minutes. Everyone here would just go mad with caffeine headaches!

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 21:57:11 pm »
Yes i do for formula but for her drinking water i use the filtered water we have in the fridge. I make bottles as i go as DD only has 3. I wash and soak in boiling soapy water then at boiled water and keep out of fridge until needed. I then add formula at the last moment.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 23:34:35 pm »
any formula i gave the girls in the first year was with boiled water, then switched to filtered at 1yr until settled on milk.

i boiled kettle, cooled a little and transfered to a tupperware jug, kept on the counter and made each bottle fresh. HTH
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline LilysMum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 08:13:23 am »
I boil the water, leave it to cool in the kettle, then fill the bottles and put them in the fridge.  At feeding time I warm up the bottle of water and then add the formula.

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 10:02:00 am »
I use bottle water for babies with add minerals etc

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 10:08:39 am »
I boil it in kettle, leave it to cool for 30 - 45mins, pour into bottle and add formula.  Run under cold running water and refridgerate. I leave it to sit out ONLY if he is due a feed soon.

Or I have been known to pour the boiling water directly into the bottle and letting it cool in there for 30 - 45 mins, then add formula........

Exactly how I make mine up! I use Omneo Comfort which needs the water to be a fair bit warmer than most formulas do... so boiling it first is the only way I fee happy that its safe and going to be warm enough.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 10:24:32 am »
I don't anymore, but what I used to do was boil the kettle, and make up enough bottles for the whole day (minus the formula). So I'd have, say, 6 bottles with the right amount of cooled, boiled water in them. They don't need to go in the fridge if it's just water, so I'd keep them in the cupboard. When it came time to use them, I'd just add the formula - they were room temp, so didn't need to faff about with kettles (if it was cold, I would just stand it in hot water for a minute).

HTH
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 14:26:55 pm »
I boil the water in the kettle and mix it with the concentrate liquid formula in a larger jug that I keep in the fridge for easy dispensing when she's hungry.

Offline jer-76

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 13:11:46 pm »
Yep we always boil ours. We leave it to cool in the kettle for 30 mins or so. We put it into the days bottles & when cool add the formula. We take them out of the fridge to bring them to room temp. & only warm it to take the chill off it.
 On a previous formula you were discouraged from adding it in advance. I bought these little tommy tippee bottles. They were only about two quid, I could measure it into those, then slot them into the neck of my avent bottles, then mix it & use it when I wanted it for her. Dead easy!

Offline home alone

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2006, 13:46:41 pm »
I have been boiling it in pot because I was given this booklet by the Quebec gov that said kettle turns off as soon as it STARTS to boil.  And the water needs to be boiling for 10min.
Boiling the water in kettle seems way more convient though.  I think leaving it in the kettle is okay but I wouldn't want to pour the water at the bottom of the kettle.
I am not sure if I made it up or read it somewhere that you should never used the water at the bottom of the kettle because of the sediments?
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 13:53:27 pm »
Home Alone I have a filter on my kettle so hopefully if that is true, then nothing will get past.

The boiling water for 10min thing is what we are advised in th UK to sterilise bottles, if we don't have access to a proper steamer or sterilising fluid.
Lauren x