Author Topic: 6 month old night wakings  (Read 1018 times)

Offline MomtoElias

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Elias Victor
6 month old night wakings
« on: April 12, 2006, 04:53:16 am »
My wonderful 6 month old son, Elias, has always woken up at night.  Recently though, he'll wake, fuss and cry for maybe 30 secs - 2 minutes and then settle himself back to sleep.  I don't believe in "cry it out" and I feel a little guilty listening to him fuss and cry for any amount of time but, we've found that if we rush right in he usually wakes up more and then we are struggling to get him back to sleep.  I am hoping this is the beginning of Elias learning to sooth himself and he'll end up waking less and less at night (I'm crossing my fingers anyhow).

To be clear, Elias has never cried without our attention for more than 2 minutes, I guess what I am asking is ... do you think this is crying it out? 

Thanks in advance.

:)Shawna

Here is my info:

How old is your child? 6 months 1 week

What’s his/her daily routine?  up at 7AM-8AM, nurse then play until about 9AM then nap for 1-2 hours
                                         then, nurse, activity, nap again at 1PM-2PM for 1-2 hours
                                         then, nurse, play, rice cereal and breast milk for dinner at about 5PM then quiet play
                                         finally bedtime routine, nurse, bed for night between 7pm and 8pm
                                         (he occassionally has a late afternoon nap depending on the day)

What’s nap routine?  quiet cuddle and then into swing for naps

How long are naps?  1-2 hours

What's bedtime routine? Time? quiet play then cuddles, bath, rub lotion on his back, dress in PJs, nurse, put in sleep bag and into bed

Do you bottle or breastfed??  Breastfeed (take bottle well from Dad when I'm at work)

How much? or how long? He's a quick nurser 10 minutes tops (he's 19lb 5oz at 6 months so, growing well with this!!)

If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) one side per feed

How many wakes per night? 2-4 times per night - sometimes we get up with him sometimes we don't need too

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Usually he "fusses" not really crying but will sometimes lead to crying if we don't respond.  Usually we can resettle him withing 5-10 minutes but, occassionally he'll be up for an hour.

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?  I don't know if it is a mantra cry ???

What have you tried to settle??  Hushing, patting, rocking, nursing (haven't tried the pu/pd yet as I am just reading Tracy's book now :-[)

What do you do for A time and how long is it?  Depends, sometimes playing on the floor in the exersaucer, sometimes walks outside, sometimes errands - usually 1 1/2 - 2 hours

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?  He might be teething

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)  He takes cereal once per day in the evening
for the past 2 weeks only prior to this he was exclusively breast feed.

Do they have a prop? If so what is it?  Nursing and rocking and his swing for naps

Do they have a lovie? We are working on it, he doesn't seem attached yet but, hopefully soon!  It is a stuffed frog named Rick.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 05:20:27 am by MomtoElias »

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 6 month old night wakings
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 15:52:24 pm »
no def not crying it out - crying it out is when lo is screaming/crying 'mommy i need you now' a little fussing is absolutely normal and in fact great that lo fusses and puts himself back to sleep. most lo's fuss/whine at some point throughout the night and that is nothing to feel guilty about.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline MomtoElias

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Elias Victor
Re: 6 month old night wakings
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 23:16:09 pm »
Thank you so much for the feed back!  I feel much better after hearing your comments!!

:)Shawna