Author Topic: Is it enough?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: April 12, 2006, 13:20:17 pm »
Hi everyone, I am back. A few weeks ago, I posted that my dd was transitioning to one nap and in the process getting very little sleep. Well, I bit the bullet and put her down only for one nap, at 12:30 pm, and well, it lasts only an hour and 10 minutes (yes, she's up at 1:40). I've tried leaving her alone for upto 20 minutes, but either there's either talking, or howling. For the night, she is in bed at 7:30, up at 6:30. So, what do I do to extend her nap, or just go with the flow? Maybe once a week or once in ten days she does give me a two hour nap. So, does she take it when she needs it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby

Offline mcruari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
  • Turin, Italy (but Irish at heart)
Re: Is it enough?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 13:22:56 pm »
12 hrs in total sounds pretty good to me. I remember reading that toddlers should get in around 13hrs a day so you're not far off. I'd just go with the flow and maybe try just 15 minutes earlier with her bedtime if you are concerned.

Well done!!

Sinead
Sinéad

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 14:47:41 pm »
I just wanted to let you know that I am going through the same tranistion with mine (15 months old) and it has not been an easy one.  I am finding that he is overtired quite a bit and I am only getting 1 hours naps maybe a little more.  So, I think for some of us this is just the way it goes.  I must say that some days he does have to have his 2 naps but I really try not to let them go to far into the day.  As a result of this I have been putting him to bed a little earlier at night so he is not so cranky the next day.  Total he gets 11-12 hours at night and 1-2 hours nap within 24 hours.  This is all he has ever been able to pull off even after my attempts to lenghten etc.  I am just going to keep trying for the one nap - he goes down between 11:15-12:00 and putting him to bed a little early until we can move the one nap to later in the afternoon.

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 15:23:28 pm »
My lo was stuck for what seemed like an age at the 1.5 hour nap (and still is when she is with me on the w/e's >:() but after a couple of months and a very fortuitous time change ;D she is now napping 2+ hours with my nanny.  I think it can just take some lo's a while to adjust to one nap.

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: Is it enough?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 15:31:34 pm »
Yes we were the same, started with 1hr 20min naps which gradually lengthened to 1hr 45mins, and recently ( a couple of months down the line) 2 hours naps (although these shorten with any hiccups - colds teething).

From what I have read they can adjust themselves to longer naps but this can take several months.

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 17:30:50 pm »
Thanks ladies, really appreciate your input. Just wanted to get some positive reinforcement. Hopefully one day she will start aking two hours naps too.

Thanks again.

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby