Author Topic: 3.5 hour routine?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Brandonsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • The owl says "whooo whooo".
« on: April 12, 2006, 14:02:33 pm »
I've had Brandon on a 3 hour routine from day one. But in the last 3 weeks or so I've noticed he can stay awake longer and his naps are a little longer. So I tried adjusting his routine to a 4 hour routine. It seems to work well one day and the next 2 or 3 days it doesn't work at all and we've reverted back to a 3 hour routine. My questions are have I rushed him into a 4 hour routine too early and would it make more sense to keep him on a 3 hour routine until he's ready to switch. He's 3.5 months old. While he was on his 3 hour routine his wake times would be between 1 to 1 hr. 15min. long. Now they can extend to nearly 2 hours.
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Intransit

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 14:16:27 pm »
HI there,
Just a few questions for you..how old is your LO? I remember my LO switched on his own.....with very minimal help from me..but this isn't the case with all LO's of course.He was about 5 months old I think.
Some babies can go longer between naps, but that doesn't always translate for feedings.
What does your "normal" routine look like?
Look forward to reading you reply.
 :D
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: 3.5 hour routine?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 15:08:38 pm »
I would let him guide you. He might need a variation of 3, 3.5, 4 throughout the day.  If he has an A time of 2 hrs, then sleeps 2 hrs, feed him when he wakes.  Then he might have an A time of 1.5 hrs, sleep 2 hrs, so just feed him when he wakes.  I would be cautious, though, of naps going past 2-2.5 hrs as you don't want to completely through the day off.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Brandonsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • The owl says "whooo whooo".
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 20:23:07 pm »
HI there,
Just a few questions for you..how old is your LO? I remember my LO switched on his own.....with very minimal help from me..but this isn't the case with all LO's of course.He was about 5 months old I think.
Some babies can go longer between naps, but that doesn't always translate for feedings.
What does your "normal" routine look like?
Look forward to reading you reply.
 :D

Thanks for the quick responses. The 3 hour routine he had been on was the 7, 10, 1, 4, 7 routine. I don't let him sleep past 2 hours during a cycle. He was waking up around 3 am for a feeding (we tried doing a dream feed but that didn't work so we dropped it and let him wake up) but about 3 weeks ago he started sleeping completely through the night till the next feeding which was at 7 am the next day. So I guess I'm reluctant to change his schedule because I don't want to drop a feeding but at the same time I'm mindful of his naps. I'm not totally stressed over this because I'm very blessed he's sleeping 10-12 hours at  night. After thinking about it some more today I think I'm going to stick with the 3 hour schedule for a little bit longer. And he's 3.5 months old.
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80